User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: NFs and smilies

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i think it's important to me that i'm being read properly and some might think my writing style is ridiculous or that i'm incapable of writing in a more professional/ mature manner but in fact i just prefer to write exactly like i talk so my personality comes through as much as possible...and i put a smilie where i would typically smile i think irl...either a lil smile or a big kinda smart ass one i like them and i think it helps convey my point...but i certainly don't care if someone doesn't use them but i do find that i can't read the tone as well.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ

Messages with too many emoticons remind me of those young women who put hearts over their i's.

I try to keep the emoticon count down to one per paragraph and usually far fewer than that. For a several paragraph email, I might use 3. But I'll almost always use one if I say something that could be misinterpreted.

Emoticons are friendly and I love to see certain ones from certain friends, because then I can imagine their voices as I'm reading. But too many tend to dilute the effect.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 12-10-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

I use the smileys to show good will. If I worry that something I'm writing could be misinterpreted as anything other than friendly, I will use one to show that my tone is light-hearted and amiable.

The smileys don't help me understand the writing any better or worse, and it certainly doesn't bother me when posts don't have smileys. In fact I get irritated with myself sometimes for feeling the need to insert a smiley, but taking it out doesn't feel worth the risk of a misinterpretation of what I've written. Must be my damn Fe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I like smilies. Internet forums are a 100% visual medium (so far). So, they add to the presentation imho...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah...i've got some good ones...i like an excuse to use them.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Smilies are like booze. You dont want too much or you'll be drunk

ENFPs are excused from the rule, though. All the ENFPs I know would be like lobotomized INTPs without their expressiveness (And I think that expressiveness makes them adorable )

For me the smilies help keep the tone of my thought as it flows through the keyboard. I dont like the moving ones in a lot of situations cause they're overkill.

Informative, philosophical, and discussive posts should have any smilies, then it removes a lot of the seriousness from them.

Conversational posts are free for all.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    yeah...i've got some good ones...i like an excuse to use them.
    ^^she really does. don't doubt her, else she might whip em out on you.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ENFP

Smilies, for me, allow the reader to see my expressions and clue into my actual meaning. I can tease a lot and get people confused in face-to-face situations, so smileys are my way of trying to avoid that in the computer realm. I actually like the wide selection from this forum as opposed to other times and places where I can't find the exact match I'd like.

And they're cute too...

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    When you are reading a post is it harder for you to read it if there is no smilies in it or you are maybe somewhat annoyed with posts that have no smilies in it?

What do you think about huge post that are written on more or less impersonal level? They have a lot of imformation but no smilies at all.
    Do similies make it easier for you to understand the post?
    I'm actually annoyed by too many smilies. I do overuse them when chatting in real time, though. If I have trouble understanding a post, it's because the writing was too verbose, unclear, or the word choice was a bit off. I probably pay as little attention to wordy, impersonal posts as much as I do to personal posts overflowing with smilies, so I can focus on the ones with content I can relate to more easily.

Using smileys more since I started on here has been a form of therapy. I always feel good seeing or posting a smiley. They give warm fuzzy feelings .
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.