• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you move, or do people move for you?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yea stylistically. I like to exercise my athleticism in those instances and use my juke moves. It's pretty serious business, I've been known to make people lose their shoes, or break their ankles. I'm pretty agile and swift. Twinkle toes is a name I'm not too surprised by.

If I'm not energized I just go for the Heisman stiff arm.

a068.gif

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
I move, bend, slip and slide around and through the crowds. I'm too fast for them to move and too impatient to wait. So I slide. Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

Ditto.
But if I'm walking at a leisurely pace as I occasionally do, I generally move out of the way with a smile.
Unless I'm doing that thing where my head is nowhere to be seen as it's up on some cloud - then I've got no clue I'm even walking.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I walk on the right-side of the path, like everyone should do to avoid collisions. I'll move aside for old ladies, that's about it...

On the rare occasions that I'm crossing an open area and on a collision course, I make it clear whether I'm passing them on the right or the left and generally people pick up on it and pass on the appropriate side.

So in most cases nobody moves because people are generally conscious of...traffic flow, I guess.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
My instinct is to move for people -- I think partly this is a character/personality trait and partly a skill I learned growing up in a big city. I'm *very* good at getting through crowds, like a hot knife through buttah!

On the other hand, I despise a sense of entitlement or just cluelessness in other people. Especially in DC where there are groups and duos of the upwardly mobile and self-important who act like they own the sidewalk, or people with chips on their shoulders. I'll brush past people or just hold fast and our shoulders/bags/etc. will knock into each other.

Notice I don't say "I hit their shoulder" or "their shoulder hit mine". Essentially, we are both walking into one another. Just like in Spanish, "The bus left me!" Semantics, the object, etc. etc. so much more than wording.

I personally think I'm doing everyone a favor, as I'm giving that person a much needed reality check: "The world doesn't revolve around me. If I see someone in the same path as me and I don't move, they might not automatically move out of the way to cater to me and I'll bump into them. Who'da thunk"

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
If I'm on a mission, because I'm spacially-challenged, I think people tend to get out of my way.

When I'm just walking I try to pay attention to my personal space and expect that others will do the same.

I don't play the "I own this space" power struggle, though. Got done with that by high school.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
If I'm in a rush I will weave in and out at my leisure, which I give full credit to playing excessive amounts of basketball in high school. When I am walking at a normal place I always move out of the way whether it is my fault or not.

If someone has to walk down the middle of the hallway or on the completely wrong side and not bother to move at all then they have much bigger problems coming up in life than me engaging alpha male mode and standing my ground...Though to be fair it is very fun if you can identify someone such as this before initial confrontation occurs and stand right in the middle of the hallway striking up a conversation with whoever you are with :)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
This is really a pretty good question. One's sense of self-respect does come into play here.

I have sometimes encountered people who seem to be deliberately attempting to challenge me to move. Do others have a sense of "I just lost." if they move in this case?

You know the absolute worst? Going to the grocery store after the oldsters - heh - have gotten their Social Security checks. They jam the aisle up with their carts and socialize. Big day out.

"How's your sciatica today, Bob?" and like that. Most disruptive and thoughtless. But, whatcha gonna do?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm tall and narrow,so I just weave through people.
If they're in my way, like I can't get outside, or need to pee, probably the only reason i'd rush through people.. I'll be a bit more forward and say 'excuse me' and step toward them, hoping they move over before I have to touch them. They do.

This is all not counting the times I attempt to stay out of people's way, and just walk into EVERYTHING.

Sensing? Balance?
Those things are made up.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Sensing? Balance?
Those things are made up.

I think some Ts take it on faith that those things are scientific, though. :devil:

I actually have a funny story about this subject. I was at the State Fair and was exiting a spinning-type ride. A little kid behind me was pushing on me and trying to get around me. He shoved around to my left. I stepped left. He shoved around to my right. I stepped right.

"Time this kid learns to wait his turn,." I thought ohsovery parent-like. We weaved and bobbed and it became his will against mine and, damn, that kid was NOT going to get around me.

End result?

He finally couldn't hold it any longer and threw up all over my back! Do I move for pushy little kids at fairs now? Damn betcha. :cheese:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think some Ts take it on faith that those things are scientific, though. :devil:

I actually have a funny story about this subject. I was at the State Fair and was exiting a spinning-type ride. A little kid behind me was pushing on me and trying to get around me. He shoved around to my left. I stepped left. He shoved around to my right. I stepped right.

"Time this kid learns to wait his turn,." I thought ohsovery parent-like. We weaved and bobbed and it became his will against mine and, damn, that kid was NOT going to get around me.

End result?

He finally couldn't hold it any longer and threw up all over my back! Do I move for pushy little kids at fairs now? Damn betcha. :cheese:

..I would have punched that kid. Not even sure if I'm joking.
Was it a fat kid?

This is one of the many reasons why I will never make babies.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
No. He was a cute little curly-headed kid and he looked terribly embarrassed. I felt bad that I'd turned it into a power-struggle.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. He was a cute little curly-headed kid and he looked terribly embarrassed. I felt bad that I'd turned it into a power-struggle.

Aww. You wrecked my mental image. I was having fun with that.

I probably wouldn't block a kid after that incident, either.

Amusement park-vomit-stories are never pretty.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah, but if you don't like being vomited on, it's probably a good idea not to have kids, anyway. ;)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, but if you don't like being vomited on, it's probably a good idea not to have kids, anyway. ;)

I could continue this, and take it down a terrible path that ends in dead toddlers and such.

But I'll keep that to myself.

And go sell my eggs at the clinic.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is really a pretty good question. One's sense of self-respect does come into play here.

Indeed - and how that shows in your gait, and body language.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a mover. Though. Sometimes I've wondered what would happen if I just refused to move out of the way at all. I know I've come close to doing it and had to move out of the way at the last second or else the person would have knocked me down (they ended up just barely missing me when I did move). But it's an odd phenomenon. It seems like I'm forever moving out of the way for people. One day I'm just gonna bulldoze them all over and laugh and laugh and laugh when they don't move. (Or not...likely not...but it's fun to dream, eh?)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Most of the time I move a bit and they move a bit and that's what I prefer. But on the days I am late for my appointments people would start moving for me, because I am in a hurry :D. Sometimes though, when lost in thoughts or after a stressful thing, when I start to relax to early people start moving me around.

Whats really funny is to walk around in the economic students faculty. They are like two heads smaller than you but need the full two meters to walk through the entrance door. You always have to let the ego go first and there will be sunshine allday :D

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Depends on the situation. If I'm simply out for a stroll, (haa), I move for people. If I'm training or late or on a mission, ie, shopping, or I think the person coming towards me is an ass, look out! I'm INFJ for your control group study. Bahahaha!