• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] BiPolar?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have been told that I may be slightly bipolar..because sometimes I'm in a very energetic mood, and am very cheery, but other times..becomming more frequently, I will act all "morose" as my dad tells me, and will really swing the other way and people will always think that something's wrong. I have also been told that I have many layers to my personality, and that I am sometimes too complex..

First off, are these symptoms if Bipolar disorder in the first place? And regardless, do other people ever act like this? I'm asking the NFs because I feel it swings towards the NF category..and if anyone of you ever feel this way. And more specifically, is this an INF{ trait?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
You're a teenager, aren't you? Moodiness comes with the territory.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
You're a teenager, aren't you? Moodiness comes with the territory.

Hmm..didn't put that into play, you may be right. But do other people, outside of their teenage years, feel this way?

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
From what you've written, you don't sound bipolar. My theory is you're just switching between Ne-dom and Fi-dom modes (the energetic and morose moods respectively), which also happens with ENFPs. Bipolar disorder is far more severe than plain moodiness. The energetic or "manic" phase isn't just cheerfulness or hyperness... it can mean several days without needing to sleep and gluttanous behavior (promiscuity, extreme shopping sprees, etc.). Check it out: Bipolar Disorder: Signs, Symptoms, and Causes of Manic Depression

Nevertheless, when in doubt, see a doctor.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
From what you've written, you don't sound bipolar. My theory is you're just switching between Ne-dom and Fi-dom modes (the energetic and morose moods respectively), which also happens with ENFPs. Bipolar disorder is far more severe than plain moodiness. The energetic or "manic" phase isn't just cheerfulness or hyperness... it can mean several days without needing to sleep and gluttanous behavior (promiscuity, extreme shopping sprees, etc.). Check it out: Bipolar Disorder: Signs, Symptoms, and Causes of Manic Depression

Nevertheless, when in doubt, see a doctor.

Makes sense, I was thinking it was more of an ENFP trait, switching between their normal cheery mood, and a morose mood. But thanks for the help, and Its clear to me that I'm not at all bipolar. :p

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I am sort of the same. Today for example I was super energetic and euphoric, don't know why. Other times I am not as energetic and more lethargic. I also can't concentrate well, and am very restless, which are apparently symptoms for bipolar disorder.

Thing is I don't feel depressed, I'm either restless & neutral or restless & euphoric. Either way, concentration is hard - I can't focus on anything for more than 20 minutes at a time. I'm 21 by the way.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've been told that i'm probably bi-polar. I laugh with a hardy har har and then take a swig of rum and go arggh eee matey I ain't no bi-polar. of course i'm wearing an eyepatch aswell, that I keep in my back pocket just in case.

no but i don't think you are bi-polar but i don't know you so maybe you are.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Are you talking to me or OneWithSoul? What do you think about my case?

both. I find myself very similar to you. and besides if it's not disrupting your life then should you get you're panties in a knot?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you never know- he could go commando! :holy:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
his jeans?

I don't even want to think of the other option! :horor:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah but what if people think he's aroused and he gets smothered by horny old bag ladies on the street?

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Bipolar Disorder is a serious mental health disorder that can only be diagnosed by a qualified professional.

Mood swings are pretty common during the teen years. Your father may have been just joking.

If you have any of the following symptoms, you might consider getting assessed:

Criteria for a manic episode DSM-IV-TR

A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least one week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary).

During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

- inflated self-esteem or grandiosity, potentially including grandiose delusions
- decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep) or persistent difficulty falling asleep
- more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
- flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
- distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
- increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
- excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

Current diagnostic criteria for bipolar disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
crap, that list is scary i relate to all except the last one.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Bipolar Disorder is a serious mental health disorder that can only be diagnosed by a qualified professional.

Mood swings are pretty common during the teen years. Your father may have been just joking.

If you have any of the following symptoms, you might consider getting assessed:

Is it possible to have bipolar disorder without the depression? Or is that just Mania?

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
prplchknz - The thing that matters most in all of that quotebox is the following:

The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

If other people aren't saying the above, then don't worry about it.

TheChosenOne - Bipolar Disorder is pretty complicated. There are several ways it can play out. You could have cyclothymic disorder, which is low-grade hymomania in which you never have a full-fledged manic episode. You could have just one manic episode in your lifetime. You could have Bipolar II Disorder, which is mainly depression with occasional hypomanic episodes. You could have Severe Bipolar Disorder with psychotic features, that manifests seasonally. I honestly can't remember if you can have Bipolar with no Depression; you probably can.

But seriously, don't worry about it unless you start to develop at least 3-4 symptoms and they start to adversely affect school, work, or your relationships.

If you do, then ask to talk to your doctor about it.

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have been told that I may be slightly bipolar..because sometimes I'm in a very energetic mood, and am very cheery, but other times..becomming more frequently, I will act all "morose" as my dad tells me, and will really swing the other way and people will always think that something's wrong. I have also been told that I have many layers to my personality, and that I am sometimes too complex..

First off, are these symptoms if Bipolar disorder in the first place? And regardless, do other people ever act like this? I'm asking the NFs because I feel it swings towards the NF category..and if anyone of you ever feel this way. And more specifically, is this an INF{ trait?

I just checked your profile and it says you are a student. So factor in the academic pressure, deadlines, all-nighters, possible caffeine addiction, etc...I mean, that is enough to fuck anyone's brains/moods.

THAT plus living in a society where you have to put on a triumphalistic, "I am on top of my world" image.

From observing myself, I KNOW when my mood is taking a downturn. So, that's when I shut myself in with good music and avoid long queues of people at the supermarket where I know I might just flip at some asshole jumping queue :steam: And oh yea, that's also when I watch carefully what I eat and drink.