• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Questions for and about INFPs.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFP writers tend to make the common set par for writing seem pathetically low (as far as comparison to other students in schools and such).

really?

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

I question authority within certain limits, i usually question everything, and really would be quite rebellious if i was an E. but im chill.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?

I get super defensive usually, or give them puppy eyes and make them feel bad for being dicks.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

Im emotionally reactive to most everything, although i dont always express it, if i see something that bums me out, ill notice it and definatly feel it right away.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?

hecks yes, i love being treated like a child sometimes. i feel i have many really cool opinions and i want to share them, but im not just going to blurt them out.

Are you really sarcastic?

so sarcastic, even some of my best friends and parents cant tell when i am.

Are you silly?

to an extent, not off the walls, but a more reserved wittiness i suppose it could be called.

Were you shy as a child?

very much so

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?

probably

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?

yes, its quite embarassing

Are you a talented writer?

alot of people tell me i am, although my verbal expression block often carries over into writing as well, when i make sense people like my writing

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)?

freelance graphic designer, sell my artwork, etc

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
If you are an INFP:

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

I am a law-abiding citizen, unless it is completely unjust and I wish to make a point and choose "that hill to die on", then I may have a problem. Growing up, my parents are extremely traditional and protective and in my early teens, I demanded my freedom, and it led to a lot of fights and some manipulation, but I did what I needed for me, for my life, and nothing I did was 'wrong' with my own principals, so it depends if I have a good reason to. I am not a rebel just so I can be a rebel, there has to be a very important reason.

Depends on my temper, on the person, on my day, on my mood... If I am feeling uncertain that day, I will keep my mouth shut and whine about it later. If I am feeling abrasive, I might shot back, roll my eyes. I am passive aggressive though, so if it's a boss I might take a stab later.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with? Just with people I am very comfortable with, otherwise I keep everything in check.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships? Yea....h...yes....

Extremely.

Are you silly?

Extremely.

Were you shy as a child?

Yes, very, very shy.

Yes.

Yes, very much so. I just want them to know how I am feeling just as I ... sometimes know because I take a lot of time analyzing the other person so I can read their expressions.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?

No, HAHA, no.

I am. It used to be my only talent and I loved it because I am good. Though I haven't written in a while.

Political scientist, ambassador, along those lines, hopefully.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you are an INFP:

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive? Usually submissive but not afraid to internally question something if it's doesn't seem right.

I don't appreciate it as i'm not a child. I surely don't like be
spoken to like a child either or reprimended like one.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

I can be emotionally reactive but usually it takes "alot" and only if a certain button has been pushed intentionally. I usually try my best to keep my cool as personally I'm very burned out emotionally from alot of emotional intensity in my teen years.

Not really. I guess i'm pretty laid back and undemanding for the most part.

I'm not the type to call all the time, needing to be always around my partner demanding his attention. I need my alone time/friends time as well heh.

Are you really sarcastic? Sometimes but i conceal it well.

Are you silly? Very silly :devil:.

Were you shy as a child? Sort of.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness? Probably haha. But I really do think I seem and am too Aloof *head in the clouds* in some areas :doh:. Like in relationships I'm so seemingly unaware of the physical aspect that it can seem like I don't care but that's very wrong. Peer inside my head for two seconds and it's anything but apathy in there.

I think the aloofness comes from needing a whole lot of introversion time even when I'm with a friend or group. I usually don't speak alot and don't like feeling like i have to make small talk *pet peeve*. At this point i shut down as i get overwhelmed from the pressure to speak.

Definitely. It can be very hard cause I'll be thinking about all this things but
as soon as I go to get it out there or it's asked of me I get nervous cause I don't know how to even begin to express all the feelings inside as that alone is coming from a very personal place that I just can't put a name on it.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
No. Only cause of experiences i've been through that have wisened me up abit. But there's always more to learn about life and we all are where were suppose to be.

No XD.
I don't write just journal entree's of my thoughts and feelings.

Either an Archivist or Cataloger kind of Career.

I thought i'd share. Very cool questions I hope I answered them well enough.

I'm going to check out other people's responses now to see what other INFPs have said :).

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2

when i was little, I would never do anything out of line. But around high school I would skip class with freinds. My better half hates this about me but, when I am told to do something, I will not do it. For instance, I going to take out the trash, but on my way there he tells me to...i wont do it then lol

For the most part i just i laugh inside, but it depends on who is talking to me

It takes me a long time to react to things, and when I do, its only with a few people that I will share it with

Not really, I know that I am loved and thats all I need

...no way... :)

Are you silly?

for the most part

Were you shy as a child?

very much so, i didnt have any friends till around 6th grade

When I first started to datemy boyfriend he had to kinda get used to me being reserved, and I had to talk with him about how I pick my words and actions very slowly

I stumble over words, and when talking to anyone I have to seach for the perfect to use so there are lots of "umm...well...hmm.."

nope

somewhat, not the best, but not the worst

I am working on being a park ranger right now, but i am also doing volunteer firefighting so kinda torn between the two at the moment

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I apologize for the length lol

If you are an INFP
Generally, I hate being ordered to do anything, but if I know there's no ill will behind it or is for my own good (like the police, teachers, etc.) I'll give in. I know they're just trying to do their jobs and I'm not gonna give them any grief over it (unless they act unfairly). Although quiet, I was much more quick to verbalize it when an authority figure pissed me off as a kid, not usually enough to get me in big trouble though. I don't like getting in trouble, it upsets me, but if I'm being ordered to do something I REALLY don't like, I'll stand firm and object in my own quiet way.
When it's from someone I love, I'll usually just take it if I don't feel it's worth arguing over. Other times I'll pull the, 'You think your shit doesn't stink?' card. I try to stay as calm as I can without letting my emotions get the best of me while still making my point. I always seem to be the one submitting in the end.

I'm very emotionally reactive, but I try my best not to let it show. If anything my eyes will probably express more of what I'm feeling than anything. I'm very facially expressive. Of course I'm more quick to express myself in front of those I'm close to. I very rarely act out on emotional impulse, like throwing fits (and objects), yelling, etc. It takes a lot to get me to that point, and I don't like being there. I'll totally admit that I'm a crybaby, though. I cry over guilt more easily than anything. My emotions just get so overwhelming at times, then they totally consume me and I break down.*
What I need is a lot of assurance, I think, to be reminded that I'm doing well and that I'm loved. I really put my all into loving someone, so I guess, in a way, I kind of hope to be loved back just as much. I'll give them their space, and they sure as hell better give me mine lol

Probably more often than not I'm sarcastic in a humorous way, but I can be pretty sarcastic and snarky when pushed far enough, especially when I'm feeling irritable. I can be quite a cynic at times. I feel like I've grown a more realistic side to me in the last few years, especially when it comes to relationships and people in general. I'm still idealistic, but I know that people have their limits and that not everyone has good intentions.*

Are you silly?

Oh yeah, I've got a very random sense of humor, but people don't usually realize it until they really get to know me. Although I have a tendency to do funny things in a subtle manner around people I don't know very well, in which they usually act totally shocked because, to them, it seems so out-of-character for me. It can be fun screwing with people in that sense lol I guess I use my sense of humor as something of a natural defense mechanism. I love British-type humor, making funny observations, puns, doing physically funny things, etc. Sometimes it's hard for me to take things seriously because I can find so much humor in almost anything. I just love making others laugh, it's one of the greatest feelings ever.
Were you shy as a child?

Yeah, and it was a big issue for me. I wanted friends but I also liked being alone. It seemed so contradictory, I couldn't fathom it at the time. I gave my mom a lot of grief over this, but my introvert grandma understood me. Other kids would approach me and want to be friends all the time, but I always turned them down and went off to do something by myself. I had friends, just not that many. I'm still shy now, although I've gotten a lot better when it comes to approaching people and showing interest in them (like asking them how they feel, how's life, etc.).

*Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?

Oh yeah, or they'd misread me as being upset. Can't tell you how many times people have asked me if I was alright in school. I'd be totally fine, my head would just be elsewhere. After a while you start to figure that something must be wrong with you because people won't stop asking lol

Absolutely, and it can be rather annoying, even to me. I've got a great need to want and express myself, but my mind doesn't let me relax. I've got a horrible fear of being judged or misunderstood. I feel like I have to filter or modify what I'm going to say in order to adapt to whatever social situation I'm in, but while still trying to remain genuine. It can be really hard, like walking on eggshells. I can't stand the thought of offending someone when I don't intend to. I'm constantly retracting or further explaining statements to make the other person happy/feel at ease. I probably try too hard to please others emotionally, but it's nit something I can just shake, ya know? I feel devastated when/if I offend someone with my opinion. I don't like being harsh or pushing my ideals onto others. I don't think that's something you should do to people. There's always room to modify and grow when it comes to my opinions, I think, especially as I go about learning and obtaining information.*

No, not always. I felt like I emotionally matured faster than they did. My friends were very carefree, while I was already going through the rebellious emo phase in 5th grade. I'm just glad I got that over and done with before finishing middle school. I think I had a lot more mature interests than my friends at a young age, too. I was totally in love with movies. I think I was around 5 when I figured out what voice actors were. I thought it was the coolest thing and i was totally obsessed with reading the credits at the end of movies. I totally flipped when I found out that Robin Williams played Genie in Aladdin lol Hell, I started collecting Biography magazine when I was 8. I got totally caught up in watching old movies and musicals like 'My Fair Lady' and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' before I hit middle school. I also remember having a profound fascination in the paranormal from a really young age (and I still do), although it kind of freaked me out at the same time. I dunno, I think I scared my parents sometimes lol Despite all this, I've always been very childlike in a sense. I love hanging out with kids and playing with them. Playing pretend is still so much fun :] For some reason they always end up gravitating towards me at family events. Maybe i look out-of-place amongst the mature crowd lol But really, I'd like to adopt kids someday. After seeing how some parents raise/treat their kids (mine included), I dunno, I just have this internal urge to bring up kids of my own in my own ideal way. Like... really teach them values, that we should accept others, and etc. I think it'd be a lot of fun to introduce my own kids to interesting things/ideas that most parents don't. Like traveling and interacting with people from different countries and walks of life. Sorry, I'm totally going on a tangent lol

Well, I've been told that I am many times. My English teachers always loved me lol I was proud of myself, yet at the same time I kind of thought, 'This is kind of bullshit. It's too easy.' I felt like all I had to do was present a profound thought, insert some intelligent words here and there, then go on a total tangent when it came to the subject. I mean, it'd all be genuinely my thoughts and feelings, but I kind of felt like it was absurd that they thought my work was 'gold' or something. I didn't want the other students to think that I had a high opinion of myself or that I was just a goody-two-shoes. I do love writing though. I especially love creating and developing characters. It's a lot of fun. I've been writing since I was very young.

God, I feel like there's so many things I want to dabble in. It kind of sucks, but I don't really have a passion for one particular thing. I love a lot of things. I know they're all rather unrealistic career choices, but I guess I can dream. Jobs I'd like: Writer, actor/voice actor, musician, magician, filmmaker/director, comic artist, video game creator, photographer, historian, sailor (laugh it up lol), teacher (elementary or high school), language interpreter, archaeologist, storm chaser, paranormal investigator, and animator (for actual cartoon movies, none of this 3D shit). Maybe I could be a ridiculous, yet heroic, masked vigilante that resides in a European city.

holdenc96

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?

The only time I submit to authority is if I give that authority permission to boss me around, like working for someone. If I don't like it, I can always leave. I don't question authority unless they intrude in my space. I respect chain of command. I will only go against authority if they force me to go against my values. That will be an all out war, I guarantee it.

I've been talked down to all my life. I won't take it, and I won't take it when I'm witnessing it myself happening to another person. I will come to that person's defense.

The only times when I'm emotionally reactive is with people who know me well, when people who I care about are under threat, or something is going on that I really do not like. But I can still think straight.

No. But I do need attention, just like everyone else.

Only when I feel like joking around.

Are you silly?
I am VERY silly.

Were you shy as a child?
VERY shy.

No. They just think I'm guarded. But recently I've been working on it, so people tend to think I'm more outgoing and sunny.

No. I have a hard time controlling what I'm saying when I get really enthusiastic about something, and it comes out wrong.

I never had such an attitude. It seems a little condescending.

People say that I am. Enough people have said it for me to believe it.

A writer. A teacher.

letsplaytwister

I certainly question authority in my mind and to my friends, but I don't outwardly do so usually because I hate confrontation. To others, I might seem to be a goody goody, but my beliefs don't indicate that at all.

Once again, I hate confrontation, so I'll usually just brush it off, but once it has a chance to sink in, I'll think, "goddamn it, I should have said something." It's like that episode of Seinfeld where George thinks of the perfect comeback too late.

Not at all. I was maybe when I was a teenager with raging hormones, but as an adult, I am cool as a cucumber all the time. Probably too much. It's hard to rile me up.

No. I like a lot of alone time. Like, A LOT.

I suppose I'm known amongst my friends for a somewhat dry sense of humor. I have several ENFP friends and they especially seem to be tickled by my sense of humor.

Are you silly?

Definitely. As a musician, I tend to project myself as an extrovert on stage, and that often translates into silliness. I feel like people are somewhat disappointed when they talk to me after a show and I'm super shy!

Were you shy as a child?

Yes! I had a silly side when I was comfortable with my company, but around adults and strangers, I was REALLY shy.

I hope not. I'm very conscious of this though. No one has ever said that to me, but I'm sure I come across as aloof a lot around people I don't know. Around friends, I'm not reserved or aloof at all!

Yes. Even around my friends, I sometimes say things that make no sense when they come out of my mouth. Sometimes things in my head just don't translate right when I have to verbalize them.

Well, in an N sense, I've always felt like I was ahead of everyone else. In a "practical" S sense, I've been behind the curve my whole life. I'm 27 and still depending on my parents for money to get by for crying out loud!

My focus has always been on music and songwriting, so in that sense, yes. In terms of prose, I always did well at it in school and college, but I never pursued it that much. I could be good at it though if I put all my energy into it.

A successful musician! That is, being able to making a comfortable living doing what I love. I don't expect to be a rock star or anything like that.

rlp1992

MBTI Type
infp
me+authority= problems.

i either give them the cold shoulder or am openly hostile. don't deal well with being condescended to...

...i have a thin skin. everywhere (unfortunately). getting better at hiding it though

hmm... admittedly. but i need space just as much :p

of course not, silly. that's mean ;)

Are you silly?
only if you count decorating my car with small plastic toys, frequent skinny dipping and an obsession with cinnamon toast crunch i've had since i was six. oh wait maybe that's all just plain wierd. ahhh did i spell that right i don't know.

Were you shy as a child?
very... stuffed animal friends and all.

i don't know? yeah probably, i think so.

nope, i've always been pretty good at expressing myself.

nope. which means i usually date about +5 years, which my dad doesn't like... :p.

yeah. i hate bragging... :/

can you tell me? please?

will5250

MBTI Type
INFP
What do you think of INFPs as coworkers, subordinates, or authority figures?
...INFPs are best at what they do when you don't criticize them. They're very sensitive to that, and take it as a personal insult instead of the way I think NTJs would think of it as making themselves improve more.
A little insight if anyone is interested. Criticism tends to get translated to "more rejection". The common advice, "Just be yourself" doesn't seem to work for many INFPs. I too grew up feeling like I was broken, or can't do anything right. Criticism feels like more evidence that I don't fit in. Unconditional Acceptance is huge for me, and I know that practically does not exist. I don't like getting more evidence pointed out to me that if I want to fit in, I will have to become like someone else. Why can't I just be myself and be accepted? I probably over react to criticism. When I have criticism for another, I will rephrase it as a suggestion that may help you work more efficiently or something, and I respond better to that approach, than to criticism. The suggestion feels like, "I am on your team, and I want to help you out" where criticism feels like, "You better get your act together or I am leaving you behind" or something. Is that as clear as mud?

Cephalonimbus

MBTI Type
INFP
It depends a lot on whether or not i respect, and feel respected by, the authority figures in question. If i deem them worthy of their authority and i feel that my cooperation is beneficial to a cause i support or am at least neutral about, there's no problem and i'll gladly do what i'm told.
Otherwise... nope it's not something i deal with very well. I'm getting better at it, but it's something that often got me in trouble. Especially in school. I was a rebellious and stubborn little bastard.

If a person who doesn't really know me says something, i don't really care. I either shrug it off or tell them to go fuck themselves.
It doesn't happen very often with people i do care about, so it's hard for me to say how i respond to that in general. The last time someone i gave a shit about said some mean things about me was almost a year ago. I took it personally and felt hurt for a little while, after that i decided she's crazy and let it slide. I contemplated reacting to fix our friendship... i didn't, but i certainly would have if she didn't have a severe case of borderline personality disorder.

Not really. I was emotionally reactive and even downright hostile when i was very depressed and abusing all sorts of substances -- mostly to people close to me, but also in public sometimes. But since then i've been fairly stable.

I have very little experience with romantic relationships, so i'm not sure... I need to feel loved, but i also need time alone. I don't consider myself very needy, but perhaps i'm not the right person to decide whether or not i am.

Sort of. I like to make a sarcastic remark occasionally, but i try to refrain from cynical snarkasm -- that's just bitterness disguised as humor.

Are you silly?
Sometimes, i guess. My friends appreciate my sense of humor, but i'm not sure "silly" is the right word to describe it. The things i say might be silly, my sense of humor is somewhat absurd/surreal, but i tend to be really dry-witted in my delivery. If you mean silly like... dress up like the pope and paint my balls red with a chinchilla dipped in medium spicy salsa as an improvised paintbrush while humming the Bonanza tune... then i guess i am not. Only ENFPs do that sort of thing.

Were you shy as a child?
I was fairly shy and i still am, kind of. But it was much worse in my teens.

Yeah, sometimes. But those who know me know that i'm not indifferent. I'm only reserved in a group though, in one-on-one conversations i'm actually pretty intense.

Sometimes. I guess it depends on what it is i'm trying to say. I got a lot better at it the past couple of years.

I have no idea. How old do i feel mentally? Beats me... I don't feel any different than 5 years ago, except that i'm not feeling miserable anymore. But i don't feel older. I've always felt somewhat disconnected to most people, but i don't think mental age has much to do with that.

I've been told that i am, but it's a skill i've never cultivated.

I've never been able to answer that question. I'm 29 and i still don't know for sure. I've tried a couple of things... but nothing i could see myself doing for the rest of my life.
Although recently i've worked a few days with a friend of mine and i really envy him. He works in nature preservation, basically he's a forest ranger. This guy actually gets paid to walk around and check for rare animals. Get in a little boat, see how the barnacle goose population is doing, talk to some farmers, have a picknick, step in some cow shit... etcetera. Awesome. Such freedom, no stress, no real deadlines, no corporate bullshit... It's just really laid-back and nature puts me in a tranquil state of mind. I'd love to do that, but sadly they mostly work with volunteers. I'm going to try though. I guess i'll just start as a volunteer.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I do not have any authority figures in my life. I question excessive authority.

I would "sniff" prudely and walk away, or get provoked. If it happens at work, I hold my tongue, but every ounz of my body wants to bite that persons head off, and I would constantly think about how I could improve what happened if it was to occur again. People usually don't talk down to me.

I don't show emotions in public, nor in private, it's all very internal. I'm not comfortable with showing emotions, to anyone.

No, not attention. But affection and intimacy.

50/50?

Are you silly?
Yeah, and sometimes rude (unintentionally).

Were you shy as a child?
I was just as shy as everyone else at a young age. In my teens, the only shyness left was about the opposite sex, and it stuck.

No, they're right when they think I'm being aloof.

Yes.

No, higher.

If this was five months ago I would say yes, but now I'm too foggy.

I am already grown up, and I am... nothing.

planetmars

MBTI Type
IxFP

I have little experience in this situation, but I can recall one instance. My father asked me to give him a ride at around 1:00 am and I agreed. He called me after to tell me directions, and was cussing at me incessantly. I teared up a bit and then told him he could either walk home 15 miles or talk respectfully to me and get a ride. Of course, this situation is with someone I am comfortable with. It depends on the person, but usually I would walk away.

I'm highly sensitive. But I rarely show my emotions, including to those I am comfortable with.

I have yet to find someone that I want to be in a relationship with. So this question has to go unanswered.

Somewhat. I don't like being too sarcastic when around people. I often feel guilty and ashamed of myself after, especially if it offends anyone.

Are you silly?
Incredibly so around my closest friends.

Were you shy as a child?
Yes. I am also an only child and spent most of my time alone.

Sometimes, but I am often aloof in the first place.

Yes, I have been to the point where it was painful to talk to anybody. Especially, because most did not understand the point that I tried to get across.

No, I connect more with adults and people much older than myself.

I've never been to good with words, whether it be speaking them or writing them.

I dream of being an Illustrator and going to RISD. It is my one passion, and the only aspect of my being that has stayed constant throughout my life.

HollowNight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
?
I don't like to question anyone's authority, unless they're obviously doing something wrong and mostly everyone agrees with me.

Maybe they're right? It actually depends on who talks down on me.

I am, but I don't like to show it. It I lose my temper, then who will other see me as? Maybe a charging lion.

No, I'd rather give all the attention to the other person

Not if It's at someone's expense

Are you silly?
I like to laugh, but I'm not completely insane

Were you shy as a child?
I'm still shy now. My friends say that they have trouble getting me to say more than ten words a day.

No, not really. Only briefly, when they first meet me.

No. I just have to think about how the other person will react to what I'm about to say and if I should say it at all. It just takes a little thinking, but silence is golden.

I always felt like they knew something I didn't, but I knew things they didn't. But now, I can't really think that, since I'm 13 and in college.

Yes, or so I've been told. My teachers say my writing is symbolic, poetic and mystical.

I'd like to be a psychologist, or maybe a human behavioral expert or something.

If you are not an INFP:
In My friends' words:

Do they ever talk too much or too little?
They won't say more than 2 words a day until you become their best friend. Then you have trouble getting two words into a conversation.

Do they seem stuck up?
No, not at all. I think they'd probably jump in from of a moving train to save someone without a second thought.

Do they seem aloof or just quiet and reserved?
Just quiet and reserved. But they watch everyone like they're reading a book. And apparently, that book has people's moods and even inner thoughts written all over it. It get annoying when someone you barely know can know things about you that you don't even know.

Do you think they come off as emotionally unstable?
A bit. They seem like emotional butterflies, fluttering around from idea to idea.

In general, how would you profile a male INFP?
Kind of a sissy, but has a generous, loving heart. They can also be a comedic genius and the life of the party

In general, how would you profile a female INFP?
She's imaginative and really feminine. However, she doesn't mind getting dirty (like with dust or mud, not the other way) if she's helping a cause she believes in or observing nature.

What do you think of INFPs as coworkers, subordinates, or authority figures?
Oh, wait. INFP authority? doesn't happen. The coworkers love to know how everyone is doing and will probably be the one passing out the homemade get-well card for everyone to sign. They bring homemade treats around the holidays and remember everyone's birthday. They're also the person you can call on to help you with a project if you need them.

How do you view INFPs in romantic relationships?
It can get a little scary, as if they completely devote themselves to whoever they're with. Catering to their every need, sacrificing themselves and their own beliefs to make the other person like them. Other times, they can be the sunshine on that person's day.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Depends.

It so seldom happens I don't even know...

I cry in public, but only talk about it with those I'm comfortable with.

No.

I tend to be, although I try not to.

Are you silly?
Silly silly silly. I think it annoys some people, so I avoid being too silly around them.

Were you shy as a child?
Yes.

Yes!

Yes.

I didn't feel I was the same mental age as them.

No.

Psychologist.

1AuroraAngel1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I respect authority figures, but I feel that I have the right to disagree with them.

I usually pretend not to care, but on the inside I feel very hurt. If I'm having an extremely bad day (which is very rare) I might have an emotional outburst.

I am very emotionally reactive, but I usually only show my strongest emotions to my family.

I feel unhappy without lots of attention, but I don't ask for it because I don't want to seem too needy.

No, I generally mean what I say.

Are you silly?

When I want to be (which is usually when I'm with my closest friends).

Were you shy as a child?

Yes, I was.

Sometimes...

Most of the time. What I say never seems to be in line with what I think, and I stutter when I get nervous.

I've always felt older and younger at the same time. As a junior in high school, I still have a childlike sense of wonder, but have more mature interests than a majority of my peers.

Yes, I definately am. :)

I want to be an author and illustrate my own books. I also want to design book covers.

buddy2eyes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
- I look myself as an authority figure too, so I do believe in myself but I can accept other as authority figure if they're suitable enough. Then, I'll be a submissive person when I do accept them.

- HOW DARE YOU TALK TO ME LIKE THAT!? DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOOD ENOUGH TO CALL ME THAT BAD!? :ranting:
Meh, my aggressive side tend to come alive when someone do that to me. But if it was from who I respect, maybe I'll be annoyed but try to understand if I was doing bad or not. I'll ask them back and have debate for a while then.

- When I'm annoyed or angry, yes. Well, I can have apathetic expression in any situation but people could sense my emotion from conversation and voice tone.
I say what I think and feel honestly all times. I'd like to be alone if interesting stuffs aren't around me. Including people, activities and such. But yes, I'll become more comfortable when things I want at a time are being with me.

- I'd like to do skinship with lover often times. I'm not interested in another activities though it's fine if they want me to go along with.
I haven't got a date though, so it may different if I have once. :unsure:

- If I'm in bad mood, yes. I have a habit teasing on other though it's for fun in friendship. :alttongue:

Are you silly?
- Yes in some way. I easily trust other's words so...my seniors/ the experts like to make fun of me. Wordplay always get me confused because of that too.

Were you shy as a child?
- No, In fact I was extroverted once when I was a child. (I had the result as ENFP then) I could be friendly with anyone easily. But the social around me was so hard that I then fond in personal stuffs and became more reserved person.

- I guess yes in the first impression with me. Since INFPs are kind of locked fancy room. Some may decorate their door a bit. But you'll know our true form after you open the door and look inside the room.

- Although I always show my sincerity, I do have hard time with them too. My feeling can drive my mind and it makes me become nervous.
I'd bite my tongue sometime too, LOL! :D

- I don't know. I feel like everyone do have older side and younger side in each one including myself as well. It depends on experiences, intelligence and mentality.

- I think I am. I haven't been writing for a time though I'm still writing some plots those occurring in my head.

- Freelance, a writer or illustrator would be great enough for me. I'd be fine to be plant trader since I like to do gardening too. Owner of cafeteria sounds great too.
I'm fond of freedom life, so that's why the reason I like these kind of job. ;)

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Long Answer, spoilered for thread aesthetics:

If we're on close, equal footing, just call it out. I must have considered my parents to be on equal footing with me when I was a child, lol - just people, just like me. If we're not close but work together with regularity, tell them how they're coming off and ask them what's up/if they intend it. If we're complete strangers, close up my mannerisms and become businesslike, and then let that be the last time I intentionally interact with this person.

This is insulting to me, and I can get caught up in taking responsibility for it - wondering if I came off as too soft or submissive. I'm overly on guard for that kind of behavior in myself because I was incredibly timid as a youth and paid for it in so much dignity.

The most infuriating example of all talking down would be along the lines of "That's not worth thinking/feeling about."

Mainly just with those I'm comfortable with, though it's not unknown to break out publicly. In any case, very reactive. The only person in my family I shared this trait with was my mother, and even she gave me a lot of messages that my temperament was abnormal, ridiculous, too much. Maybe it is. As an adult, I'm much more careful where it is dispensed, not expecting my emotions to be welcome at fullness, and I'm certainly surprised when I run into people who resemble me in this respect. But I'm not ashamed of the emotions and crave opening them up as tricky as it is to get past the inhibitions. I'm hard to get to know because I don't want to hurt anyone.

No, not enough for most people to even live with me, but I need the attention there is to really count.

No. I understand it, but I don't prefer it as a form of humor unless I want to use it pretty lightly. This is maybe because sarcasm tends to be used to comment on things the user disapproves of, and I have no humor for what I dislike. Straight disgust? Suuuuure. :) The jokes come when the subject is something or somebody I feel affection for, and are typically rooted in under/overstatement, incorrect facts, or broken aesthetics. Humor actually has expanded the range of things in this world that I can appreciate, making me less elitist as time goes on.

I don't do cynicism in general, only about individuals who are representative of some specific, personal broken trust. I spend time around a whole lot of cynical people; even where there are objective reasons to be cynical, the others have that covered already and more. When I get disillusioned with humanity, it doesn't run dry or cold - more like love frustrated. "You fools. You irresistible fools." *slaps human race* *kisses human race* :D Detachment grates on me, though I'm not innocent of using it.

Are you silly?
This is more like me.

Were you shy as a child?
I was in some denial of it, but yes. I still am.

If I care what someone thinks, I will not be reserved with them in the first place. But that's now. I think this may have been the source of some authority figures assuming the worst of me when I was a child in school. I was well-behaved and didn't get into any systemic trouble, but some of them just seemed to smell something icky on me, and I didn't understand why at the time. Others, however, I got on very well with and was on greater terms with them than just as a student. I tended to stick out to authority one way or another, perhaps because I tried to on some level.

Yes and no. I'm decent with words, but there's only so much that can help. I feel very articulate when with someone I click with or otherwise am close to/trust, but awkward and dull if there's no such bond.

No, never. I was told a lot by adults as I was growing up that I seemed ahead of others, more mature, but I've always felt like a younger soul than those around me. I've felt mentally/emotionally younger than even my younger siblings. Not sure why this is.

Yes. But not as well-read as I should be. When I read something by somebody my age or with similar interests, it makes me enviously sick, and it's difficult to finish. This competitiveness made it hard to do any arts in a classroom setting when I was young, too - always with one eye on whoever I felt second best to, introjecting them. This will eventually bite me in the ass. It may already be doing so.

Yes.

DaniBambi

MBTI Type
INFP

A: Internally, I am constantly questioning authority, but when it comes to taking action I'm pretty submissive. Oddly, the few times I'm not going with the flow people are generally accommodating.

A: Well, I know I am a sensitive person. So I try to label "hurtful down talk" as "constructive criticism" in my mind, the "bully" and "someone trying to be helpful". This has helped with about 99% of all perceived down talking, especially at work and with my mother! I'll try and explain my thoughts and feelings behind my actions, and express thankfulness to them for their opinion and help, even if I don't agree with it and have no intentions of changing. The other 1% of the time I'll lash out with some kind of personal emotional attack on the person, and feel guilty about it for days.

Internally I am. People I'm comfortable with know I'm an emotionally reactive person. In public, not at all. Everyone doesn't need to know how I feel about things.

Yes, but I don't need to be entertained all the time. "I want to see you today" doesn't mean "I want you to listen to me ramble/take me out/ spend money on me today"

Yes

Are you silly?

Yes.

Were you shy as a child?

My math teacher described me to my mother as 'painfully shy' in high school.

Yes. But quiet people are often mistaken for things they're not because we don't really give on lookers much to work with.

It depends on who I'm with. I'm most articulate when talking with someone one on one, and verbally paralyzed in group settings.

Depends on what subject matter we're talking about. I feel older than most people in areas, and like a newborn in others.

Really, it depends on who's reading.

Some kind of counseling, teaching, or research.