First 111920212223 Last

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    9W1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Sort of a "nobody understands me" question, to see if I'm just crazy,

But do other INFPs feel like they wear masks? Do you steal personalities from people around you to earn their acceptance?

MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    9W1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?
    I don't search for reasons to doubt authority, in fact people with a conspiracy conplex tend to make me depressed or anxious. I just don't like the constant doubt thing, however, if I feel somebody has been wronged, it doesn't matter who did it. I'll support them against the school bully or the president of Nicaragua.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?
    I silently and passive aggressively judge them, or I take it personally. Usually the first. It's not worth conflict, however.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?
    I don't emote. It's a thing I do my best to keep the same. I can laugh and smile, but it's usually just for the people. A sort of mask to keep my emotions personal and internal.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?
    I don't need constant attention, but when I get time with my girlfriend, I expect to have total emotional and intellectual openness. I enjoy having that time to be me, and not the mask, but I can easily accept compromise.

Are you really sarcastic?
    Of course not.

Are you silly?
    Yeah, among friends. Among people I'm stoic and slightly manipulative.

Were you shy as a child?
    Yeah. I was also impulsive. It made an odd mix sort of.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?
    Yeah, all the time. If I'm not actively trying to pretend to be what they want me to be, then I'm off thinking about butterflies or God Knows what else.

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?
    Yes. I ramble about ideas with the kind of inspiration that tends to scare people away, or I say nothing at all about emotions. I actively avoid talking about emotions.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers?
    I have recently felt older, like considerably older, though my girlfriend is noticeably more mature, despite being a year younger, so almost never.

Are you a talented writer?
    I love writing. I don't have the diligence to finish a book, but I have always had a gift for prose, so yeah. I am in some ways. As far as refined focus though, I am miserable.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)?
    Probably a college professor with research stay. Likely biomedical engineering. Thats the plan!
    Last edited by renaiziphonts; 07-09-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Missed a spot...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by renaiziphonts View Post

But do other INFPs feel like they wear masks? Do you steal personalities from people around you to earn their acceptance?
    I feel like I have some masks, yeah. I can easily leave the impression I am more simplistic than I am or perhaps "too cool to care" when I really have a lot of feeling. The thing I find masking most is my more intellectual side, because it seems to make eyes glaze over. Many of the things I think about extensively when alone never makes it to a conversation with others, which makes me feel like the "real me" is not known by them.

I don't steal personalities for acceptance, no. That sounds more enneagram 9 over all. I may mimic certain things about people because I feel socially oblivious and don't know how to act in some situations. That is more like taking cues on what is "normal" than stealing a personality.

I do have identity issues in that I don't quite know how to manifest my personality outside of my head, and I may have some ideal I'm striving for that is too strained or difficult to reconcile with other aspects of life. I worry I am very dull & blank in reality, but I can just be very inhibited, probably due to some deep-rooted shame.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

I mostly try to mask my melancholic nature so it isn't off-putting to other people. Sometimes, that means wearing a fake smile. Especially in the workplace, maintaining good relations depends on your presentation and demeanor. If you're moody and brooding, people won't want to be around you.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

I don't steal personalities for acceptance, no. That sounds more enneagram 9 over all. I may mimic certain things about people because I feel socially oblivious and don't know how to act in some situations. That is more like taking cues on what is "normal" than stealing a personality.
    I was going to come in here and say "In before, someone says stealing personalities is an E9 thing" and someone has already said it. WAY to be predictable!

Quote Originally Posted by renaiziphonts View Post

In regards to your latter question, nay, sir/m'am, I don't. I like my personality, I don't copy people around me and I don't change my tastes to earn acceptance. I don't wear a mask to hide who I am because I'm afraid people won't accept me, I'm naturally an observer and place little energy on showing who I am.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DeceptiveCreative View Post

I was going to come in here and say "In before, someone says stealing personalities is an E9 thing" and someone has already said it. WAY to be predictable!
    Ur so smart

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata View Post
    Ur so smart
    Quiet, you!
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DeceptiveCreative View Post

Hey, he brought up it. Between 4 & 9, the common enneatypes for INFP, it is certainly more 9 than 4.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Hey, he brought up it. Between 4 & 9, the common enneatypes for INFP, it is certainly more 9 than 4.
    Actually, I think you misinterpreted his question. He said "Do you steal personalities from people around you to earn their acceptance?" not "which INFP steals" it's a question of What not Who. Anyway, at the moment I really can't be bothered arguing over this, I'm just tired of 4s belittling 9s, it happens a lot.
    Night is another candle

MBTI
    INFX

If you are an INFP:

How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

Usually submissive.

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?

Usually, take it in and leave with discomfort that I have to release in privacy. But I am also capable of counter-attacking. I can be aggressive.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

I probably react to and process almost everything emotionally.

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?

I am needy.

Are you really sarcastic?

A subtype of my joking comments is sarcastic.

Were you shy as a child? Wasn't outgoing. Barely noticed the world around me.

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness? Yes. First time I was told this, I was completely surprised by it.

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally? Yes.

Have you always felt as though you were at the same mental age as your chronological peers? Yes.

Are you a talented writer? No.

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)? I already grew up. I am a teacher and enjoy my current job.