• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] So How Would You React?

G

Glycerine

One of my high school male teachers (INFP) brought up how Hamlet might have had a thing for his mother and we were going to watch a movie with young Glen Close playing Hamlet's mother. So one of the people asked the teacher if Glen Close was a MILF (mother I'd Like to f***) and the teacher said yes kind of jokingly.

Another time he said, "My girlfriend has to shoe horn her fat a** into her jeans" (without clarifying that the girlfriend had actually said this until after I got offended). I got so offended by both instances because of the supposed "inappropriateness"?

Would you consider it funny or offensive?
I was curious if that is a Fi vs. Fe clash at work?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Get an estj p.e. teacher to pick on him, maybe give him a super noogie.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I definitely would not get offended by either of those comments. I find people who get offended by the comments of strangers tend to be unhappy.

I suppose you expect a certain sort of maturity from teachers and counselors.. But honestly, they're humans. They're people, with personalities and lives, and they're going to slip their personal lives into their careers. There's nothing that can be done to do that. And they aren't bad people for doing that.

Just because it isn't something you agree with doesn't make him a bad teacher, nor you a bad person for being offended. Simply have skin a bit coarser than silk and carry on.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
I would have laughed my ass off personally, I like that kind of humor and have had females teachers who had worse humor. It keeps things on a more light hearted note, i cant stand it when classes or the workplace gets so rigid and lifeless that if anything like that were to happen someone would get sued.

I definitely say take Kyuuei's advice, its good and sound and will get you much farther than takeing offense to every little brash joke that you come across in the "work place".

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
No. You can't go getting offended by everything, you know...

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would've found it funny... Especially the first one. How else is one supposed to respond to a question like that? Either she is or she isn't. :yes: (The second one lacks context.)

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
Nah, I like my teachers' humour and their jokes a lot. They care about their students. The only time I was like wtf wasn't due to them. Due to an older male student I barely knew acting strange, but I've gotten over it now.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I would've found it funny... Especially the first one. How else is one supposed to respond to a question like that? Either she is or she isn't. :yes: (The second one lacks context.)

Yeah, the teacher told his opinion. What was he supposed to do? Blush? Yell at the guy joking? I don't see how he could have done otherwise. The second example is not so easy. I don't especially like "my gf is fat" type of humor, but if he said it with certain (hard-to-define) attitude, it's funny, but even if it wasn't funny, I wouldn't be offended.

The only times that I've been offended by teachers have been when the music teacher made me play drums while he knew I couldn't and when the history teacher tried to convince us that circumcised is better than natural.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm... uh... well... being forced... and... you know... promoting mutilation...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
You're pretty lucky to have an INFP English teacher. Look past the type conflict. You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it and learn a lot.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't know, I'm in high school right now..so depending on what grade you're in, it might be a little innapropriate, but nothing more, because it's nothing to get offended by.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I were the teacher, I'd probably worry more about tone I'd set -- since whatever I do, my kids would take and run with and do about 3000x worse. That's one issue; you have to draw a line far earlier than you'd like so that the invariable jumping over it still doesn't take people TOO far into the areas you don't want them in.

(Right here, he approved slang with the word "f*ck" in it and a sexual connotation; don't tell me some kid will not take that and run with it.)

I think 30 years ago, probably very inappropriate. The culture is different now; standards are relaxed; social roles are more fluid with positions of authority, you aren't necessarily expected to be this bastion of goodness, you're allowed to be more human. Gen Y is also much more flexy and less focused on the authority issue, they are all for diversity and casualness.

G

Glycerine

yeah, I guess you guys are right about that... I should have taken it more lightly and not gotten offended.
If I were the teacher, I'd probably worry more about tone I'd set -- since whatever I do, my kids would take and run with and do about 3000x worse. That's one issue; you have to draw a line far earlier than you'd like so that the invariable jumping over it still doesn't take people TOO far into the areas you don't want them in.

(Right here, he approved slang with the word "f*ck" in it and a sexual connotation; don't tell me some kid will not take that and run with it.) haha, yea the kids would take it too far and my vivid imagination due to my Ni would imagine things that I did not want think about... haha.

I think 30 years ago, probably very inappropriate. The culture is different now; standards are relaxed; social roles are more fluid with positions of authority, you aren't necessarily expected to be this bastion of goodness, you're allowed to be more human. Gen Y is also much more flexy and less focused on the authority issue, they are all for diversity and casualness.

I agree with you the most, Jennifer. I'm usually not that uptight about that type of joking but it felt like he did not have that many boundaries. I think the thing that was really awkward was that he was about 40 or so trying to fit in with a whole bunch of high schoolers. He or someone else would bring up something sexual almost about every class period. I admit I did a few times but he's about 40 or so and I was about 17-18 so I don't know. I got this strange feeling, it got very weird for both parties.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
IDK, watch your step with this man. His inappropriate sexual boundaries with his students are a red flag and you're spot on in your discomfort.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Saying "yes, kind of" to the MILF thing doesn't strike me as inappropriate.

Re: "My girlfriend has to shoe horn her fat a** into her jeans."
In high school, I would've taken that sucker out on the spot. These days, I'd probably not care (provided the 2 examples you gave were the only incidents that occured).

It's hard to judge whether or not you're overreacting with this second incident... if it really does bother you, you'd have little to lose by taking him aside after class and presenting a respectful case as to why he sucks.