• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ti] How Does an INFJ Go about Developing Tertiary Ti?

G

Glycerine

I try to come up with logical rationales for my arguments and insights but I many times come off as a babbling idiot... haha :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I try to come up with logical rationales for my arguments and insights but I many times come off as a babbling idiot... haha :)
You don't have tertiary Ti! You simply favor Feeling over Thinking. But I digress...

For someone to whom this "logical rationale" business doesn't come naturally, if you want to make a case, you'll probably have to put more effort into research, and possibly even find arguments made by others for the position you happen to find yourself occupying.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Head over to INTPc and hold a discussion/debate or two with them INTPs.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

Understanding your own thinking patterns seems the easiest way, seeing to want to be logical you have to be able to see the things that cause you not to be. ie. If you are comfortable in your response from the Ni and Fe then Ti will not be called upon. So recognising the weaknesses in Ni and Fe gives you a reason to use Ti more. I'd recommend thinking with a piece of paper infront of you, and trying to not dismiss anything you see or write even if you don't like it. ie. use Ni and Fe to find the flaws in themselves.

I never really had to think about developing my tertiary. For me Te developed from having an INTP (i think) for a father. It took much longer to realise I should be favouring my first two functions more instead.

G

Glycerine

You don't have tertiary Ti! You simply favor Feeling over Thinking. But I digress...

For someone to whom this "logical rationale" business doesn't come naturally, if you want to make a case, you'll probably have to put more effort into research, and possibly even find arguments made by others for the position you happen to find yourself occupying.

well, maybe I'm putting too much stock into the cognitive processes. Anyways, thank you for your input. I'll try to be more concious about reading up on things before I try to take my stance on some given subject.

G

Glycerine

Understanding your own thinking patterns seems the easiest way, seeing to be logical you have to be able to see the things that cause you not to be. ie. If you are comfortable in your response from the Ni and Fe then Ti will not be called upon. So recognising the weaknesses in Ni and Fe gives you a reason to use Ti more. I'd recommend thinking with a piece of paper infront of you, and trying to not dismiss anything you see or write even if you don't like it. ie. use Ni and Fe to find the flaws in themselves.

I never really had to think about developing my tertiary. For me Te developed from having an INTP (i think) for a father. It took much longer to realise I should be favouring my first two functions more instead.

haha ok, I'll try that sometime. You're so lucky! :) unfortunately, for me I've never had a strong Thinking influence. I'm probably one of the more logical ones in my family but still have a long way to go.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get Toonia over here.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Read tons and tons and tons and tons of books...preferably non-fiction. And then read some more. It should be quite natural after that.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Grow up surrounded by Ts.
Be the only F, as I was. You'd be amazed what that'll do... or pick a career that requires consistent logic.

Actually, don't do either of those. I did because I had to, not because I wanted to. My sculpted Ti came at a high price.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Befriend or date an ISTP or an INTP (dominant Ti)! :)

Shameless but surprisingly intuitive answer. I wish I could think of something that good. I bet you spent a lot of time reflecting on that one. Damn INTPs, putting people to shame with your abilities. :dry:

I could act as an INTP for you IDK. Bounce ideas of off me, I've been told I do a good impersonation... :D

sade

On the same line with iwakar. It came with a high price.

I normally bounced my ideas off of my mom more (istj) so I came out more practical, I think. So I'm bound to stop my INTP dad every now and then with: "That has no application in real life and you're going off in tangents again, so I'd you to go back to the subject unless there's a point behind this."

Actually I'd like to have one calm conversation with my dad that didn't turn into a logic competition, or idea competition..
"My idea is more plausible, here's why.." & "That's not logical, blah blah blah..." & "I'm aware of all the reasons and objections you're giving me but they don't apply in this scenario because.." & "You're trying to teach me stuff that I've been aware of since I was 10, are you trying to insult me? I'm aware of that and it has nothing to do with this."
I'd just like to emote in peace..

Turn off the emotions, push them to the back of your mind. That'll help.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Learn to detach from yourself. Observe yourself from a psychological distance, and hang out with T's.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Grow up surrounded by Ts.
Be the only F, as I was. You'd be amazed what that'll do... or pick a career that requires consistent logic.

Actually, don't do either of those. I did because I had to, not because I wanted to. My sculpted Ti came at a high price.

Yeh, it isn't the greatest. How do you feel it affects us when we miss out on using our primary functions as much as we should during childhood?

I've probably used my primary function my whole life, but not in its intended way. And sometimes that makes me feel almost detached from my true self because my socially and environmentally learned self doesn't choose to move the same way as my true self naturally. And the views of people around me of who I should be or am can conflict with my true self as a result.

Lightyear

My mum and older brother are an INTJ and an INTP so I had a lot Thinking input while growing up and I had to leave home to realise that I am more emotional than rational.

However relying to much on feelings and convictions has also its pitfalls and especially while studying history at university I learnt again to think rationally and draw logical conclusions.

I think you as an INFJ should be cautious to go out into the debating battleground since Ts might unintentionally hurt you with their unbridled candor. For me it works if someone gives me books on the subject I am interested in or just tells me his point of view clearly and factually without trying to convince me that he is right and I am wrong. Yeah, spend time around Ts and listen to their opinions and ways of thinking but try to find Ts that are mature enough not to hurt your feelings by being insensitive.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So we do have tertiary ti and I came across this as a suggestion specific for INFJs in developing it:

"... are aware of their own disorganization with logical constructs and can sometimes feel as though they do not know what to do about it. Sometimes a simple routine way of categorizing ideas and their logical correlations can do wonders...as long as they still feel independent and free to explore the subject."

(I would like to see someone else's example of doing this for comparison.)