• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFPs and problems with carrying out ideas?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Through the last few months, I have been thinking a lot on the differences of the Judging and Percieving type in general..and growing up in a house of NFPs, myself included, I have really come to know them.

My question being, that is it common for the NFPs, or NPs, or even the percieving type in general, to have problems with carrying out their plans and ideas? For example, I'll always be comming up with ideas in my head and thinking that it would be a great thing to actually put into play, but I never actually do. It happens at school, I'll have a great question to ask, but won't ask it..why? I have no idea.

A classic example, that I think about..regarded one of my friends who moved away to college this last summer. I am constantly thinking about sending her a formal letter in the mail, or mailing her a birthday present..and I won't follow through..and it's not because I'm too lazy and don't feel like it, but for reasons I have no idea of..

I guess now that I think about it, it is a classic P trait, but I want to know more ab out it, and what other people experience, especially the NFPs. Is this a common trait? Is it just me? What do other people think about it?

This is open to all types, because I always love all of the feedback I can get, to build my understanding.

ixom

MBTI Type
infp
yes that happens to me and my inXp sister all the time! we would, in the spur of an inspiring moment, come up with brilliant (we think) ideas and "vow" to do something about them but we never do..

in group projects, (i hope this doesn't come off as boastful), i'm often the one coming up with the ideas that everyone agrees to be the best.. but once it came to getting things done..................... i'd like to blame it on laziness most of the time, actually.

haha, and i really relate to that classic example of yours!

we can never seem to follow through with our wonderful plans.. and it makes me feel like a hypocrite sometimes..
:doh:

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I think for me, it's mostly the 'thought' of carrying out the idea- that's the exciting part. Executing it is what I lack patience for- hence, the procrastination. I learned how to manage it though. I get what you're saying.. I think it has something to do with motivation.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Our intestinal fortitude when it comes to bringing up the motivation to complete a task seems to be a flaw.

Sadly, the only cure I've found for this is sheer will power. It creates some problems especially if you're not self-motivating when things like home businesses (the temptations of simply choosing not to are frequently and constantly abound) arise.

I can usually will myself into doing daily things and such, but when it comes to trivial card-sending and phoning and such, my mind tends to lose it too quickly to care.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I have the same problem. When I'm in a creative mood the ideas fly fast and furious. I get everything together I need to accomplish the task and then I go to do something else and don't feel like going back to finish.

The fun is truly in the planning for me also.

Here's how I get around it:

I plan a reason to have my project done by a certain time. If I want to sew some clothes I set up a situation where I will be wearing my new clothes. If I want to paint a room I invite company for the time I hope to have it done by. And like that.

Then I have something to plan/look forward to when the task is completed and have fun anticipating it while I work.

When I was a young housewife I used to promise myself that when I was done with my ironing I could sit down and have a couple beers! Instant motivation. Hee.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
If anyone wants to help me finish my ideas, please feel free.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i know...i would really just like for that to be my job...let me come in and come up with the great idea and then other people can do it and i can go back to sleep.
i would be great at that. :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
i know...i would really just like for that to be my job...let me come in and come up with the great idea and then other people can do it and i can go back to sleep.
i would be great at that. :)
*wrestles that job away from e.a.*

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
This happens to me all the time. But, I have once again twisted my interpretations and found a way to think about it so that it doesn't feel too bad to be lazy.

Firstly, the ideas are never wasted. If I have brilliant ideas about many things there is quite a big chance that they will come in handy later on. Let's say when I am 40 I am working in some kind of work group that plans some stuff. I will have forty years of good ideas at the back of my mind. That can't be a bad thing.

Secondly, I think you get better at this. So, that's another way not to waste it. The brain gets good at dreaming up plans.

Thirdly, you can even enhance the positive effect if you write your ideas down on a notebook. I've been meaning to buy a notebook for this purpose, but I never seem to remember this when I'm at the mall.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
yeah... i came to the conclusion thats why i gotta make a grip of money and have people carry out my ideas... lolz

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
yeah... i came to the conclusion thats why i gotta make a grip of money and have people carry out my ideas... lolz

But that is not easy either. Even if we forget about where you get your money from. I wouldn't know anything about getting the right people for the project. I would most likely hire people I like and then they would be lazy bums like me and we'd get nothing done.

I need a structure that is there just to support my ideas. And it needs to be there already. I just walk in and sketch up something.

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have the same problem, I'm a huge procrastinator. I also rarely stick with anything I start. It contradicts my J, but I do like to plan something before I do it, at least tenatively.

I'm not sure if there is a solution. If you find one, let me know ;p

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Actually I never had problems carrying out my ideas. I think this is due to the fact that my dad is ESFP and I've been learning to use my Se (action way). I'm also very strongly goal oriented persons and if I want something, I make it happen. I only use my Se when I want to reach a goal. If I see no point in acting, I wont do anything just for the sakes of the movement.

I'm always scoring low on the need to perform, so my need to reach the goal is much stronger that to perform very well in accomplishing it. Quite strange combination :doh:.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I wonder if I will ever get a book published because I am so crap at carrying out the ideas lol I have reams of notes, ideas, scenes, chapters, but sit down and pull it together into a finished product? right now it just isn't happening. No idea if it ever will.

I have so many ideas, it seems all I do it sit down thinking up new ideas, but it's all in my head and stays there.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
I do that too, but I always try to improve them so either erase or overwrite. maybe I should start a journal. I think places like these are the best place for bringing up your ideas and getting feedback. What you really need is someone to help further your ideas and there are people who want to help in that.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Another thing I'll do it start one book, make it half way through, find another one I want to read, read half of it, and so on..until I have a heap of unfinished books that are left unread for not the reason of me getting borred of them, but that I just don't "feel" like getting back to them, it's so weird..and annoying..

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you get the chance, try connecting ideas to music. Will get you back into the mood.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
try to skim the book first and see if you like where it's going, then you will want to read it easier. Some books I don't read straight because they only have certain chapters I'm interested in.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
though i see this with XNFPs a bit, i myself do not have this problem TOO much. though it does happen more then i would like. really XNFPs can execute ideas just fine and are excellent at carrying things out but actually starting the process of carrying out a task is a killer. once they start the task, they might not have too much trouble finishing it.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Oh yeah, I'm guilty. I think, plan, dream, but rarely ever act on anything. I guess that's why my life is so crappy now. I missed a lot of opportunities that were somewhat handed to me and I didn't take that leap. So no I don't really carry out plans, but I wish I did.