User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Failing at speaking AND writing?

Generally most people fall into either catagory: They are proficient at speaking clearly & fluently or proficient at writing clearly & fluently. Which types are more susceptible to struggling with both?

Personally, I have difficulty with forming words for my thoughts. Or at least getting my ideas across is limited to concise sentences. Somehow I cannot get detailed - to be honest, most of the time I don't really care to, I do prefer to just generalize and get to the point - but it would be nice to be able to expound sometimes. Often I find it a relief when I can just "diddo" someone's else' comment.

If you have a habit for short sentences as well, is it out of your desire to condense information, or is it more of an inability to expand? If a combination of both, which of the two occurs most frequently?
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w?

words are hard

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w?

seriously, I have the hardest time getting the words from my head to my mouth or my hand. Mine is a combination of inability, fear, and that I simply can't stop the constant stream long enough to get them out.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    Generally most people fall into either catagory: They are proficient at speaking clearly & fluently or proficient at writing clearly & fluently. Which types are more susceptible to struggling with both?

Personally, I have difficulty with forming words for my thoughts. Or at least getting my ideas across is limited to concise sentences. Somehow I cannot get detailed - to be honest, most of the time I don't really care to, I do prefer to just generalize and get to the point - but it would be nice to be able to expound sometimes. Often I find it a relief when I can just "diddo" someone's else' comment.

If you have a habit for "short sentences" as well, is it out of your desire to condense information, or is it more so a factor of inability? If a combination of both, which of the two occurs most frequently?
    Oh yeah, that's me. My thoughts aren't in English, you bastards! You should feel lucky you get one sentence out of me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I can relate to this.

My biggest boggle is that sometimes I forget to season my ideas with terminology critical to third party comprehension. Instead of offering a sequential alphabet (A-B-C-D), I overlook key phrases in a rush to examine multiple angles. Alongside this sprint, I often try to work in potential connections that might add to global comprehension. Kind of like an organic brainstorming session. (A-J-P-14-H)

Neglecting details can leave folks confused. This is something I've always struggled with.

MBTI
    INTP

I have the opposite problem you lucky bastards. I find it hard to be concise. I can expound and obfuscate all day if I wanted to, it's not taxing.

In fact most of the time that is what my writing consists of. I've had to consciously work very hard to adapt and acquiesce somewhat to peoples need for concise statements. I have a natural flair and tendency to key in on certain aspects or ideas and provide clarity to a more generalized audience.

It's probably due more to my nitpicking nature and my insistence on fully sharing the totality of my thoughts as to avoid any confusion. I'm very particular, I've found most people are not.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Some stuff in our minds is not meant to be translated to words. I relate, yeah.

My speech is usually normal, but when I am in a very unfamiliar situation I might have some trouble pronouncing the words. Like, the "R" might sound weird and I realize it and it is because I realize it that the next "R" will sound a bit weird too.

Sniffles

Yes I can relate. I openly admit to be being a fragmentary and aphoristic style thinker.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I'm good at both, technically. Practically, I'm a walking disaster at Lithuanian grammar and the only reason why I'm good at speaking is because I had to learn Greek oratory as the main part of my rhetoric lessons in school.

MBTI
    INFP

My thoughts come very rapidly. Often, so much so that it is difficult for me to place them in an orderly fashion. For this reason I express myself better in writing.

Even then I tend to give TMI!

In conversation I find it easier to continue a conversation if someone kickstarts me. Need someone to form a singular basis as I tend to think broadly.

I never liked those exercises in English class where we had to condense material. But expansion? I can do!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer