User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I don't believe in luck.
    I do. I prefer to call it serendipity though... it's not something good happening just because you believed hard enough or crap like that, it's something happening that seemed unlikely but which was, in reality, inevitable, given the various threads of circumstances that led inexorably to intersect where they did.

I think that if you think hard work or talent alone can get you somewhere, and refuse to take account of 'luck', you're mistaken... luck is, to me, elements and variables that are beyond the individual's control or ability to predict but which, nonetheless, inevitably have a profound effect on that individual's life. And that really does happen. That's why flexibility is essential.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I do. I prefer to call it serendipity though... it's not something good happening just because you believed hard enough or crap like that, it's something happening that seemed unlikely but which was, in reality, inevitable, given the various threads of circumstances that led inexorably to intersect where they did.

I think that if you think hard work or talent alone can get you somewhere, and refuse to take account of 'luck', you're mistaken... luck is, to me, elements and variables that are beyond the individual's control or ability to predict but which, nonetheless, inevitably have a profound effect on that individual's life. And that really does happen. That's why flexibility is essential.
    Serendipity is in some sense "controllable". We wouldn't notice the importance of an accident unless we're observant. The occurrence of these events is based on probability. The more we try the more likely they'll occur. That's my take on it.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I don't believe in luck.
    I kind of agree. It's true, assuming there are enough repeat instances in which all existing odds are 'rolled'.

It's "lucky" for someone off the street to marry a millionaire. It's not lucky if that same person targets millionaires until they marry one. It's all in the framing of odds that makes one 'lucky'.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It has to be luck. You can be great at everything, but fail as a whole.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I believe hardwork.. If you have talent and luck, and no motivation to put your awesome abilities to use, what good are they?

The reverse could be said.. having no luck and talent, you may work hard but get no where.. but I believe without working hard you'll definitely get no where.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    I find that for 99% of jobs talent is of little use.
    Actually I mostly agree with this. I believe that talent contributes more toward competence than hard work does. However most jobs don't require much competence. They only require hard work. (Some jobs don't require either.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Anyone planning on reading this book?

Outliers (book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Gladwell's synopsys on The Colbert Report seems to indicate a high degree of luck is involved.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Anyone planning on reading this book?

Outliers (book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Gladwell's synopsys on The Colbert Report seems to indicate a high degree of luck is involved.
    Oh a new one out by Gladwell? Interesting... I might... eventually. I liked Blink and Tipping Point.

MBTI
    INFP

trying to revive the old thread again!

well,..what do u guys think about this one??
    let's hear your opinions!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I've noticed several J's say they don't believe in luck. I suppose that makes sense since P's are more likely to take advantage of unexpected opportunities. J's might view anything outside the plan as a temporary setback, while P's might actually see it as a stroke of good luck.
    interesting observation...