User Tag List

First 123 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Awww.... you rip the soul right out of my chest...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Awww.... you rip the soul right out of my chest...
    I knew that would happen.

Anyway... maybe some others will participate with the small location move.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Usually, I can understand almost any human being (yea, twas said pathetically).
    At first, i watch them and i try to get, what makes them tick, then, only after some time (depends), i usually "get them". I mean, I just start to understand who they are, and why they do what they do. I cannot rather catch immediate motives very accurately, but i have general insight who they are, and they wont surpsise me then, ususally. Id explain it like you are getting into a new concept, and for some time you are struggling with it, and after time you just understand it flawlessly. So i "get" the people and i "know, what makes them tick". Its kinda hard to explain with words, but you sure know that, when you just know "what that person is about".
    About time - it depends on complexity of person, some people i "get" after around 2weeks, some may confuse me for half a year, but then just to realize they was pretty easy, only confusing my up and down with inconsistency. (assume you meet that person day to day, e.g. in school, because 2weeks is pretty relative term otherwise )

So maybe a little bit
    i didnt read all the posts im lazy
    but maybe i put some light into discussion (maybe)

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've tried to define this before, and I can't. You can't explain an intuitive process sufficiently through linear writing, just as you cannot explain how a perception works or why -- you can merely describe what you see or do not see.

Most people, I interact with and I get a very strong imprint of who they are. Like I have "seen their face" and then I can recognize them anywhere we meet later. I just know who they are and what they'll probably do -- I would definitely label it as "essence." I "know" them.

But there's a small percentage of people whose face I cannot see. I can't figure out whether that is a problem with my perception, or whether they truly have a face at all, or some other scenario. I can't connect with them, I can't anticipate their probable behavior/comments, I can't do anything at all with them. I have no idea who they actually ARE, although I can remember the surface-level interference.

I really didn't get what Nolla was on about untill I read this post. I thought he was talking about some Fi thing I could never truly understand, but it sounds to me like you are just talking of people you have grown to know really well. It sounds like you have intuitively "typed" them in your mind and, more importantly, you recognise and understand what you see there. And so you feel a connection.

Or am I wrong?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    It sounds to me like you are just talking of people you have grown to know really well. It sounds like you have intuitively "typed" them in your mind and, more importantly, you recognise and understand what you see there. And so you feel a connection.

Or am I wrong?
    It basically is some sort of typing, except that there is no words and no type boundaries. It is like when I know someone's essence, I can tell what they might do in a hypothetical situation. But, this is not only for people I know well but for almost everyone. I guess it could be called typing. It is very rare that I don't get the feeling of who they are. Usually I know almost anybodys essence on first meeting (it can get more accurate and correct over time).

Also, when I don't see it in someone, I can't have real empathy for them. I don't know what they feel.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    I really didn't get what Nolla was on about untill I read this post. I thought he was talking about some Fi thing I could never truly understand, but it sounds to me like you are just talking of people you have grown to know really well. It sounds like you have intuitively "typed" them in your mind and, more importantly, you recognise and understand what you see there. And so you feel a connection. Or am I wrong?
    Something like that, except I'm talking about an impression I get very very quickly, even if I don't know many details of their past. I just "know who they are" and how they'll probably respond (or the parameters of their response) in a given situation.

(And usually the impression bears itself out, the more I get to know them.)

Over the summer, I went to meet two people. As soon as I met them, in about 2 minutes I had a very good idea of who each was... and also I knew one of them and I would probably become close friends without even knowing much else about her past and even knowing that we were very different in some ways. Everything I've learned fits with my initial impression, and she's probably one of my most consistent close friends IRL now. I'd know her with my eyes shut.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

This thread title keeps making me think The Essence of Emeril.....
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ

A highly interesting topic.

1) What is the essence?

Essence is that which characterizes an object/subject, the noumenon (non-observable) that is contrasted with the phenomenon (observable) of the object/subject.

Interestingly, essence in French has two meanings. The first is "essence" as in the English language, while the second is "fuel".

The "essence" of something could be considered as both what is characteristic of it and what drives it, what gives it the energy to go forward.

2) How it could be missing?

Essence can be missing when only an impression is given to the observer when in reality there is little behind.

However, everything has an essence. If a thing/person is focused on giving an impression, then that is inherently its' essence.

3) How can you find it if it isn't there?

If it isn't there, the fact that it isn't there constitutes what characterizes it. For example, take the example of a "shallow" person who seems to have no essence because s/he only gives an impression. That person's essence could simply be to give an impression.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Interesting twist, Maverick. So, the essence might be motivation... why not. But how could anyone be mainly motivated in giving an impression? If someone was, we could as well say he doesn't have a soul, though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I've been thinking about people that I have hard time to level with. It seems to come down to me not being able to see their essence. To not have a feeling of what they are about. I am guessing this is an NF type of communication problem. So, tell me...

1) What is the essence?

Soul? Pattern of body language? Pattern of behavior?

2) How it could be missing?

It isn't there? It is inconsistent? I don't see the pattern?

3) How can you find it if it isn't there?

Please, don't keep your thoughts any way limited to the questions...
    I am answering this before reading the thread, but I just wanted to comment because I totally get what you are saying.

It's really hard to describe with words, but it's a vibe that I get when i feel people are being genuine (just really themselves). Basically not fake and not slipping into a role, it's also a feeling of trustworthiness about that person that i get.

If I don't get that sense of anchored wholeness about a person, they probably are playing of role of who they think they should be around me and I can't trust that. I don't think it's ever missing, just covered by mind projections.

I don't think the essence of a person is tangible, it can be manifested evidentially through things like their behavior patterns. But that in itself isn't the essence. I also think that you must be able to be aware of it in yourself before you can be aware of it in other people.