User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: NF Artists?

MBTI
    ENFP

Like, give me with the Flash program y'know? I can vector up some mad art, like this one time I draw a woman and she was fine.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Bummer, maybe one day they'll see the light.

BFA in Illustration with a minor in Sequential Art.

Lovely stuff. Your style makes me think of a classmate I had last year in Book Illustration. She had that nice combination of rendered and graphic aspects that you have. I particularly like the drippyness.

So, I take it you prefer portraits?

I prefer traditional methods. There's something that digital can't replace, and that's the physical sensation of creating a work. I've gotten particularly good at gouache and watercolour. But right now I'm learning to work with digital painting in Photoshop. Don't have a website up just yet. Well I technically do but since it's attached to comcast.net as a personal page and my brother helped me make it and primarily because I'm an idiot, I can never remember the URL.

Edit: For the record, my avatar is NOT something I did, I only wish I was as good as Darrell Anderson!
    Yeah, KSU is good. I loved my first 3 years, but since I reached a peak there, I've just been making art for myself and not for grades or approval... I don't have much guidance in the style I've been hitting. But we've got a new chair that is pretty contemporary & avant garde thinking, so I believe there will be some changes to the program.

Thanks! I prefer to have human figures in my work. Artwork of mine without any human representation in it feels static to me.

I love certain aspects of digital work. I almost enjoy looking at digital work as opposed to traditional, but the texture and reality of traditional work can't be replaced or matched. And, for me, my work is mostly about the process... the result is for everyone else. If I don't enjoy the process, then I don't feel that I'm being an artist. :/

And so I take it you're on the Savannah campus? How do you feel about the illustration program? Do you feel like it teaches you enough practical information to make it on your own? The only real reason I'd go for my MFA is because I need that practical information and direction. I have zero guidance as far as freelancing and business practices from KSU...

I'll have to check out this Darrell Anderson character...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by penelope View Post
    I love certain aspects of digital work. I almost enjoy looking at digital work as opposed to traditional, but the texture and reality of traditional work can't be replaced or matched. And, for me, my work is mostly about the process... the result is for everyone else. If I don't enjoy the process, then I don't feel that I'm being an artist. :/
    I can understand that. Sometimes I don't enjoy the process at all, but I usually find a little jump in learning after I'm done.

And so I take it you're on the Savannah campus? How do you feel about the illustration program? Do you feel like it teaches you enough practical information to make it on your own? The only real reason I'd go for my MFA is because I need that practical information and direction. I have zero guidance as far as freelancing and business practices from KSU...
    Yes, I am. It's done its job, which is to say, I walked in thinking I wanted to do one specific thing, and now I find I want to do everything. Yes, I would think so. Copied from the website:

ARTH 701 Contemporary Art
    ARTH 702 Art Criticism
    ILLU 701 Illustration Techniques I
    ILLU 714 Drawing for Illustrators

ILLU 721 Illustration Techniques II
    ILLU 727 Illustration Concepts and Composition
    ILLU 730 Computer Illustration
    ILLU 735 Illustration Markets
    ILLU 742 Directed Projects in Illustration
    ILLU 764 Illustration for Publications
    ILLU 774 Professional Practices in Illustration
    ILLU 779 Field or Teaching Internship
    ILLU 779 Field or Teaching Internship
    ILLU 790 Illustration M.F.A. Thesis

Those are probably the ones you're looking for. The professors have plenty of advice in that arena as they are all working artists as well.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENFP

Hi, I'm an INFJ, and have been onto this Myers-Brigg stuff and got many of my friends into it and have found that a lot of them are also NF types (interestingly, the majority of them INFP).

I myself am an artist, and many of my NF friends are involved in the arts (graphic design, music, painting, film, photography...).

I'm just curious to see if this is common with everyone else here that is an NF? I have this theory that we're all artistically inclined due to our intuitive/feeling nature.
    It is very interesting this pattern I have seen over the years with kiersy. A LOT of SFP's who hang around NF's come across as NF's, Similarly, a lot of STP's who hang around NT's come off as NTP's..... and a lot of them can come across as J's but it's less so.
    SP's are the ultimate chameleons. and we love them for it. They don't even do it on purpose really, they are very natural at it. *Especially* ESFP's their type being a performer. Being raised by all S's and having all S's in my family I tend to be a little closer to the S line, but I am definitely an N, though it has made my I/E line a little shaky.
    In gifts differing Myers says that if the I/E line and the P/J line is shaky and you can't tell what people are with out a doubt, it is because the person in question most likely did not have the ability to safely practice their preference. The S/N T/F letters, I suppose are basically innate, and we do have preference on the rest.

Anyhow long story short, SP's are the artists of the world. IF they are good at the technique, or rather seem to be good at everything technical they decide they want to do, singing, dancing, art, etc. Even poetry, though it can be a little less "deep" (shudder- I hate that I just said that) there are probably more famous poets who are artisans out there because of their talent of putting words that sound good together together, which isn't as natural but can be learned by an NF.
    So, the moral of the story is that if you are prideful (this isn'ta bad word, we all have what we are prideful about NT's their intellect, NF's their authentic Identity SP's their ability to be the best at something. SJ's and their ability to be in line with the shoulds.) abaout your art's *technique* and not as much what it means, you are probably an S not an N. In which case I would count myself lucky.
    IF you have never questioned the legitimacy of society and humanity, chances are almost positive, you are not an N. Which means you can have all the perks of being an NF, be better at art, and not be on and off disgusted by humanity.
    A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I paint faces. Does that count? I also sing but not in front of peeps.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I paint faces. Does that count? I also sing but not in front of peeps.
    Hell yeah that counts!!!

Both do!!!

I think my first exposure to painting was having always been asked to and having to do my friends' makeup in high school and college.

I give makeup artists big props, it ain't easy to paint on a topographical canvass, nope!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Hell yeah that counts!!!

Both do!!!

I think my first exposure to painting was having always been asked to and having to do my friends' makeup in high school and college.

I give makeup artists big props, it ain't easy to paint on a topographical canvass, nope!
    Haha, speaking of which, I'm doing make up for a short film. I think the only reason I was asked to do it is because I paint, but doing makeup on other people is really intimidating... Topographical, haha.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've been pretty into doing artsy things since I was a kid. It used to just be stick figures and one-paged stories [*lol*], though it evolved quite a bit. I got into singing with my grade school then high school choir, painting [then quit because I found out I'm not very coordinated with a paintbrush/canvas -- but I do love to paint ceramic statues!! I haven't done that in a long time... ] I tried my hand at learning to play piano, which is only pretty mediocre. My left and right hands don't cooperate well with each other all of the time, however, I can sometimes learn an entire song [just the melody] purely by ear. My music reading skills aren't fantastic, but I can do it if I don't feel lazy :P Sight-reading was something I learned in high school choir, though I seem to be able to only apply that to singing :rolli:

Drawing and writing are my major two 'artistic flairs'. My stick figures turned into a want/thirst to gather as many of those 'how to' books as I could until I found what my niche was. Turns out to be anime/manga styled art Though, I'm still practicing with it, I can tell it has come a long way. I'm incorporating my writing skills to create my own American manga [Japanese-styled comic]...but I'm procrastinating, as always. I love to write just about anything that pops into my head. It used to be poetry. Then songs. Now stories and sometimes poetry...although the thought of not being very good at poems, having them come off as too 'meaningless' or not descriptive enough has put me off from writing them like I used to. Oh...and I do a lot more digital work now since I've had my tablet and Photoshop [for direct drawing/painting/color], but I do indulge in traditional media because those are my 'roots' *lol*
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I posted these in another thread, here are three examples of my art, (all of my paintings/drawings resemble this style).

I have somewhat recently found out that the art that I produce and the style in which I produce it actually has a name:

Surrealist automatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cannot draw or paint anything intentionally or realistic, I just free-flow, and these patterns emerge, it is very therapeutic.

`

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I painted this one nearly four years ago, I stayed up all night painting it, primarily using watercolors and some acrylics.

Also, it is severely cracked, is there anything I can do to protect it from cracking anymore???

(I know jack shit about art stuff)

And this is my most recent drawing, it *so isn't finished* and I used markers, watercolors, crayons, color pencils and these weird metallic marker things.

It is weird all my stuff looks similar, but I don't know where these images come from?!?!?!
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles