• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Quote on Intution

heart

heart on fire
Albert Einstein:

"There is no logical way to the discovery of elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance."

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thoughts?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
well off the bat i think that i means that eigther einstein isnt INTP as is usually assumed OR that the theory of dominant functions isnt that acurate

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
well off the bat i think that i means that eigther einstein isnt INTP as is usually assumed OR that the theory of dominant functions isnt that acurate

Or that using type to predict opinions are highly unreliable.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The simple answer is that he is ENTP.

The other more likely answer is that he was wise enough to realize that even as an INTP all of his theorizing would be a waste of time without a well developed intuition.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
To me it means that the world rewards the structured, organized person ... while the more free flowing intuitive is shunned a bit. I can relate. I've gotten farther ahead in life by following rules than by being innovative. In fact, I've gotten squashed quite a few times for being innovative. Tends to kill it off after you get handed your butt a few times. I haven't given up though ... I just hide it better now and cloak it in some "rules."

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That the only thing that is expected of you in life is too be able to repeat back what you've been told, and don't ask questions. If you do ask questions or try to live an "unconventional" life society will look down on you, and think you're defective. If you know something because you just do, but you can't say how or why. Either find some "proof" It doesn't have to be real hard proof, but real enough to convince the person/people who you need to convince. Most people (around my age) will believe most anything they read, as long as it's well written, based mostly in truth, and they relate to it on some level. Or self reflect till you find the answer. I normally chose the second choice, but depending on the situation will choose the first.

Oh, and I agree mostly with what Nighthawk said above. I've never been squashed for being innovative, but I have yet to experience the real world. But through my observations of the world I noticed, people don't like change or new ideas.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
We do all appreciate that he is referring to Ni, not Ne, right?
"There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance."
So my first response is similar to Blackwater's in that he is not NTP at all, instead most likely INTJ.
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
I think he simply saying that society puts more emphases on us being status quo, instead of thinking outside the box. Keep in mind that the statement was made decades ago, therefore if anything Einstein was able to envision what was on the horizon. In the case of the USA, the benchmark has been the decade of the fifties.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never thought Einstein was an INTP, I always thought INTJ. Despite being an intellectual, his theories were not first based on observations but more by Intuition.

And let's not forget that he also said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Again, a very INTJ statement. To the INTP, it would be the other way around, where knowledge is gained first before imaginative hypotheses.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never thought Einstein was an INTP, I always thought INTJ. Despite being an intellectual, his theories were not first based on observations but more by Intuition.

And let's not forget that he also said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Again, a very INTJ statement. To the INTP, it would be the other way around, where knowledge is gained first before imaginative hypotheses.

I think this sort of type application is too rigid. Types overlap. Just because someone is INTP doesn't mean they would never say "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Especially if they are forced to spend most of their time with ST's. (To an INTP in an ST environment, yes, he WOULD say imagination is more important than knowledge!)

Context. Context. Context.

Context matters.

(See ?'s good comment about also, about the "context" of Einstein's life, which really is set against the Modern Age's empiricism, the first half of the 20th century. The science of the age was very empiricist, Skinner and Freud were the scientific deities, everything had to be measurable... etc.)

I would look more as his lifestyle, which seems much more P than J. He doesn't seem to be very closure-oriented, does he?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I'm convinced that INTPs would dissolve into a bubbling gooey mass if Einstein wasn't an INTP. I guess he's the one INTP crowning glory.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm convinced that INTPs would dissolve into a bubbling gooey mass if Einstein wasn't an INTP. I guess he's the one INTP crowning glory.

No, that would be Hustler.