User Tag List

12 Last

heart on fire

Default Quote on Intution

Albert Einstein:

"There is no logical way to the discovery of elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance."

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thoughts?

MBTI
    ERTP

well off the bat i think that i means that eigther einstein isnt INTP as is usually assumed OR that the theory of dominant functions isnt that acurate

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    well off the bat i think that i means that eigther einstein isnt INTP as is usually assumed OR that the theory of dominant functions isnt that acurate
    Or that using type to predict opinions are highly unreliable.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The simple answer is that he is ENTP.

The other more likely answer is that he was wise enough to realize that even as an INTP all of his theorizing would be a waste of time without a well developed intuition.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

To me it means that the world rewards the structured, organized person ... while the more free flowing intuitive is shunned a bit. I can relate. I've gotten farther ahead in life by following rules than by being innovative. In fact, I've gotten squashed quite a few times for being innovative. Tends to kill it off after you get handed your butt a few times. I haven't given up though ... I just hide it better now and cloak it in some "rules."

MBTI
    yupp

That the only thing that is expected of you in life is too be able to repeat back what you've been told, and don't ask questions. If you do ask questions or try to live an "unconventional" life society will look down on you, and think you're defective. If you know something because you just do, but you can't say how or why. Either find some "proof" It doesn't have to be real hard proof, but real enough to convince the person/people who you need to convince. Most people (around my age) will believe most anything they read, as long as it's well written, based mostly in truth, and they relate to it on some level. Or self reflect till you find the answer. I normally chose the second choice, but depending on the situation will choose the first.

Oh, and I agree mostly with what Nighthawk said above. I've never been squashed for being innovative, but I have yet to experience the real world. But through my observations of the world I noticed, people don't like change or new ideas.

MBTI
    TiSe

We do all appreciate that he is referring to Ni, not Ne, right?
    "There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance."
    So my first response is similar to Blackwater's in that he is not NTP at all, instead most likely INTJ.
    "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
    I think he simply saying that society puts more emphases on us being status quo, instead of thinking outside the box. Keep in mind that the statement was made decades ago, therefore if anything Einstein was able to envision what was on the horizon. In the case of the USA, the benchmark has been the decade of the fifties.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I never thought Einstein was an INTP, I always thought INTJ. Despite being an intellectual, his theories were not first based on observations but more by Intuition.

And let's not forget that he also said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Again, a very INTJ statement. To the INTP, it would be the other way around, where knowledge is gained first before imaginative hypotheses.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I never thought Einstein was an INTP, I always thought INTJ. Despite being an intellectual, his theories were not first based on observations but more by Intuition.

And let's not forget that he also said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Again, a very INTJ statement. To the INTP, it would be the other way around, where knowledge is gained first before imaginative hypotheses.
    I think this sort of type application is too rigid. Types overlap. Just because someone is INTP doesn't mean they would never say "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Especially if they are forced to spend most of their time with ST's. (To an INTP in an ST environment, yes, he WOULD say imagination is more important than knowledge!)

Context. Context. Context.

Context matters.

(See ?'s good comment about also, about the "context" of Einstein's life, which really is set against the Modern Age's empiricism, the first half of the 20th century. The science of the age was very empiricist, Skinner and Freud were the scientific deities, everything had to be measurable... etc.)

I would look more as his lifestyle, which seems much more P than J. He doesn't seem to be very closure-oriented, does he?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm convinced that INTPs would dissolve into a bubbling gooey mass if Einstein wasn't an INTP. I guess he's the one INTP crowning glory.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3