123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default INFJs as teachers

So this profession is recommended for us but how do INFJs deal with being introverted and such a people-oriented job as teaching? I've actually been considering it lately to get paid summers off. Also I do kind of think INFJs like working with people in particular situations. I really have no idea if I would like it or not since I've never done anything remotely like that. I've never had a strong interest in it though, but I've never had a strong interest in any career (other than dream careers like writer/novelist). I could only imagine teaching adults though - which probably means summers aren't paid. So INFJs, how do we handle introversion and being teachers?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Introversion really isn't that much of an indicator for this sort of thing.

I, for one, have always fantasized about being a teacher.

In fact, I was just talking about this today...I feel this duty to spread correct information to those around me. In class, when a teacher says something that seems like it would be confusing to most people, I always, always ask a leading question to get the teacher to re-explain the weak point in the original explanation. It's just this gut response -- I can't let people get convoluted or incorrect information if I can see a way to bring clear and concise understanding to everyone.

Literally, I do this in 500 person classes like multiple times a week. I figure it's a small price to pay for spreading good knowledge. (The price being the fact that lots of the people in the classes probably think I'm that one asshole kid who talks all the time.)

Sniffles

I've thought about it, but in the end I can't see myself teaching for a living. I speak from my experiences of having to teach new guys at work. People often compliment me on my teaching skills, but it's nerve-wrecking I tell you.

I'm more of a writer than a teacher.

MBTI
    INFJ

I plan on being a researcher and teacher. I think I have enough "skill" to get me by as a teacher. I really don't see how it would be too demanding, considering I would know the exact times I would be required to be social: class and office hours. I feel like I would be a good teacher simply because I enjoy explaining concepts or ideas and going at it from different angles until they understand.

Plus, I feel like there aren't enough teachers out there who care and who really WANT to teach. There are many majors that pretty much force you into teaching because there are few (if any) alternative options (e.g. english, philosophy, and history to name a few). Let me be the first to tell you that majoring in these subjects does NOT qualify you to be a teacher. Unfortunately a PhD speaks louder than common sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Mentoring one-on-one and online teaching work best for me. Introversion makes it difficult to manage the classroom energy, conflicting needs of individuals, multiple power struggles, and discipline. Having the ability to socially intimidate a little bit helps with most groups, but I don't have that skill. Individual teaching allows the kind of deeper focus into the way the student's mind works, so I can react and lead on a deeper level.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you know you need to manage your energy, you can find ways to do it. I encourage INFJ teachers to find some quiet time before the day starts, even if it means getting to the building early, rather than working after school. Lunch hours in the room are good rather than meeting with colleagues. Planning cuts down on stress. You're right in that if you want to work with adults don't go near children. You HAVE to love children to survive in schools and be mission-driven to serve them.

I love teaching, children or adults, but really have to watch what I eat/exercise/think ahead to keep up my energy. Summers off would never be motivation enough for all of it...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by karenk View Post
    So this profession is recommended for us but how do INFJs deal with being introverted and such a people-oriented job as teaching? I've actually been considering it lately to get paid summers off. Also I do kind of think INFJs like working with people in particular situations. I really have no idea if I would like it or not since I've never done anything remotely like that. I've never had a strong interest in it though, but I've never had a strong interest in any career (other than dream careers like writer/novelist). I could only imagine teaching adults though - which probably means summers aren't paid. So INFJs, how do we handle introversion and being teachers?
    The biggest problem isn't introversion. The biggest problem for any feeling-type will be to overcome their black-and-white view on things and be able to look at things a little more detatched. If a kid writes something you don't like politically or emotionally, you'll still have to grade him according to the guidelines, not your heart. My mom is an INFJ boss (!), and she have managed to do her job amazingly well... She's almost like a teacher to her "underlings". Or a mother.

In short: Overcome narrowmindedness, detatch.
    And ofcourse talk more than you're used to.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

You've already received some great responses, especially the very helpful one by edcoaching. I'm not positive that you have to assume your summers would not be free if you decided to teach adults. I agree that if you don't feel drawn in your heart toward teaching children that you shouldn't attempt it. Way too difficult. Only love can get you through that on some days.

Have you looked through some of the books like What Color Is Your Parachute, or Do What You Are?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i think it could be a good fit if there is plenty of opportunity for one-on-one tutoring/mentoring.
    INTP/5w4 sx

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    If a kid writes something you don't like politically or emotionally, you'll still have to grade him according to the guidelines, not your heart.
    INFJs care very much about fairness.