• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs as teachers

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this profession is recommended for us but how do INFJs deal with being introverted and such a people-oriented job as teaching? I've actually been considering it lately to get paid summers off. Also I do kind of think INFJs like working with people in particular situations. I really have no idea if I would like it or not since I've never done anything remotely like that. I've never had a strong interest in it though, but I've never had a strong interest in any career (other than dream careers like writer/novelist). I could only imagine teaching adults though - which probably means summers aren't paid. So INFJs, how do we handle introversion and being teachers?

redacted

Introversion really isn't that much of an indicator for this sort of thing.

I, for one, have always fantasized about being a teacher.

In fact, I was just talking about this today...I feel this duty to spread correct information to those around me. In class, when a teacher says something that seems like it would be confusing to most people, I always, always ask a leading question to get the teacher to re-explain the weak point in the original explanation. It's just this gut response -- I can't let people get convoluted or incorrect information if I can see a way to bring clear and concise understanding to everyone.

Literally, I do this in 500 person classes like multiple times a week. I figure it's a small price to pay for spreading good knowledge. (The price being the fact that lots of the people in the classes probably think I'm that one asshole kid who talks all the time.)

S

Sniffles

I've thought about it, but in the end I can't see myself teaching for a living. I speak from my experiences of having to teach new guys at work. People often compliment me on my teaching skills, but it's nerve-wrecking I tell you.

I'm more of a writer than a teacher.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I plan on being a researcher and teacher. :D I think I have enough "skill" to get me by as a teacher. I really don't see how it would be too demanding, considering I would know the exact times I would be required to be social: class and office hours. I feel like I would be a good teacher simply because I enjoy explaining concepts or ideas and going at it from different angles until they understand.

Plus, I feel like there aren't enough teachers out there who care and who really WANT to teach. There are many majors that pretty much force you into teaching because there are few (if any) alternative options (e.g. english, philosophy, and history to name a few). Let me be the first to tell you that majoring in these subjects does NOT qualify you to be a teacher. Unfortunately a PhD speaks louder than common sense.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mentoring one-on-one and online teaching work best for me. Introversion makes it difficult to manage the classroom energy, conflicting needs of individuals, multiple power struggles, and discipline. Having the ability to socially intimidate a little bit helps with most groups, but I don't have that skill. Individual teaching allows the kind of deeper focus into the way the student's mind works, so I can react and lead on a deeper level.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
If you know you need to manage your energy, you can find ways to do it. I encourage INFJ teachers to find some quiet time before the day starts, even if it means getting to the building early, rather than working after school. Lunch hours in the room are good rather than meeting with colleagues. Planning cuts down on stress. You're right in that if you want to work with adults don't go near children. You HAVE to love children to survive in schools and be mission-driven to serve them.

I love teaching, children or adults, but really have to watch what I eat/exercise/think ahead to keep up my energy. Summers off would never be motivation enough for all of it...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So this profession is recommended for us but how do INFJs deal with being introverted and such a people-oriented job as teaching? I've actually been considering it lately to get paid summers off. Also I do kind of think INFJs like working with people in particular situations. I really have no idea if I would like it or not since I've never done anything remotely like that. I've never had a strong interest in it though, but I've never had a strong interest in any career (other than dream careers like writer/novelist). I could only imagine teaching adults though - which probably means summers aren't paid. So INFJs, how do we handle introversion and being teachers?

The biggest problem isn't introversion. The biggest problem for any feeling-type will be to overcome their black-and-white view on things and be able to look at things a little more detatched. If a kid writes something you don't like politically or emotionally, you'll still have to grade him according to the guidelines, not your heart. My mom is an INFJ boss (!), and she have managed to do her job amazingly well... She's almost like a teacher to her "underlings". Or a mother. :D

In short: Overcome narrowmindedness, detatch.
And ofcourse talk more than you're used to.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You've already received some great responses, especially the very helpful one by edcoaching. I'm not positive that you have to assume your summers would not be free if you decided to teach adults. I agree that if you don't feel drawn in your heart toward teaching children that you shouldn't attempt it. Way too difficult. Only love can get you through that on some days.

Have you looked through some of the books like What Color Is Your Parachute, or Do What You Are?

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

i think it could be a good fit if there is plenty of opportunity for one-on-one tutoring/mentoring.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If a kid writes something you don't like politically or emotionally, you'll still have to grade him according to the guidelines, not your heart.

INFJs care very much about fairness.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Agreed, I'd be wracked by guilt if I graded for a reason that did not fit within the parameters of the course material. Ethical hypocrisy is not something we stomach well especially with ourselves.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That really depends... I know a couple of them that don't. It's probably a learned behavior because they hate fighting people over petty things. The ones I know are pretty self-centered, but they're not loudmouthed about it.

Mom: uses guilt and shame to make others do her bidding. It's just an observation, I don't mind. We all manipulate people in some way.

Girlfriend: pretty much the same, but not as refined. It will probably come in a few years ^^

Both of them act very much like altruists, but they really, really put themselves at 1st place.

Maybe when controlling others they make sure that they are fair to each other. I have serious doubts that anyone could grade a person the way he or she deserves if the person goes against the personal opinions of the teacher. Feelers to an even lesser extent.
Many INFJ's are pretty nice folks, but some of them can really get stuck on stupid details... Really disturbs me.

I'm going to receive flak for this, but i'm just giving constructive, even if harsh, criticism. Some of us see things this way.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think an INFJ would work very well within a classroom setting. I believe that the INFJ's introversion would become less of a factor in a structured classroom as classrooms essentially have very specific social expectations and guidelines. The feeling side would also come in particularly handy with junior year levels.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
YLJ: Maybe you will talk against me when I say this but... in the end, it is for the cause and greater good.
Yes, I'm definenetly putting myself in the first place every chance I get (when I feel Igot moral highground). But when (and if) I reach the top, I will look back and see how much I REALLY helped. Even if they would put up a statue that depicts me and in memory of my greatness, I would've still want to have helped others.

But as an Ni, impact is of major importance and can overshadow my real intensions.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That really depends... I know a couple of them that don't. It's probably a learned behavior because they hate fighting people over petty things.

It sounds like these people could be mistyped. INFJs have a natural inclination to get assertive when something is unfair. It happens without thinking. Self-consciousness disappears and it's not draining to confront the problem.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The ones I know are pretty self-centered, but they're not loudmouthed about it.

Mom: uses guilt and shame to make others do her bidding. It's just an observation, I don't mind. We all manipulate people in some way.

Girlfriend: pretty much the same, but not as refined. It will probably come in a few years ^^

Both of them act very much like altruists, but they really, really put themselves at 1st place.
I just hope you've considered the possibility that they are not the healthiest INFJ-type representatives. This is one of the first things I think of when people approach implicit judgments about percentages of the populace based on a figure of "representatives" they can count on one hand.

I'm going to receive flak for this, but i'm just giving constructive, even if harsh, criticism.
Fair enough if your "constructive" criticism seems hobbled by weak supports, which it does if applied to all INFJs (or, which it doesn't if applied to just those two).

Some of us see things this way.
Whether in vain or not is arguable, but some of us chase the phantom called objectivity.

S

Sniffles

The only teaching job I could see myself doing is lecturing. And even then....I'd probably would seem too vague and abstract for most people to handle.

One on one mentoring certainly is a strong point of mine in some ways.

Just adding two more cents to my previous post.

gloomy-optimist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I would do excellent in a teaching atmosphere; I'm really good at getting ideas across. Unfortunately, dealing with all the crap involved wouldn't be something I'd have fun doing. I wouldn't like grading either; I don't like work that pours over into my free time ^^;

MLJ: Yes, that's true in some instances, I'll be inclined to admit. I do manipulate people occasionally using guilt and whatnot. But I also know quite a few ENTJs IRL, including my twin sister, and I can definitely say that our type dynamics might be one of the reasons we seem more so to you.
We do have other people's best interest in mind. I can be self-centered, but I absolutely hate letting other people down, and lately I've been working on centering myself so I can stop putting myself in stressful situations for others. I like being helpful, but if I am too stretched out between people, I can become emotionally manipulative. It's not so much my natural state; it's actually more of a stress reaction, a brief appearance of the INFJ shadow.
But yeah. We can seem as if we lack direction and are self-centered, but that may just be because many of us don't communicate our desire to see justice in the world, unless it comes up directly. We're not the type that really verbalizes things like that, but we do feel it inside. You are probably more sensitive to this because of your extroverted thinking verses our introverted feeling; it would make it a bit harder for intentions to always be easily understood.
Sometimes it takes some real digging to see our real intentions ;)

I would say that a well-rounded, stressless INFJ are usually inclined to be fair as a natural reaction.

karenk

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that a well-rounded, stressless INFJ are usually inclined to be fair as a natural reaction.

I'm not well-rounded or stressless, but I have a natural reaction when I see something that is unfair. MLJ's first post sounded like he was describing a SJ imo. Well it's just a thought. Of course someone can't be typed by such a small description.