User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 70

  1. #41
    Senior Member fleurdujour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    You make valid points but, once again, fail to understand my stance on any of this.

    First off, taking the test once and biasing it as you said, is not going to give you your type...obviously. You are once again making assumptions. If I had said, "Take the test once and whatever you get is what you are" then your anger(?) would be justified because that is a ridiculous platform... I am almost angry that you are taking this out of proportion because nothing I have said was even directed at you fleurdujour, I am more than willing to stand my ground however.

    If anything, the people who are trying to translate between the two theories are the ones who are being black and white about this. (INFJ in MBTI is NiFe and INFP is NiFe so the two must be interchangeable) Everything I said was directed at this. If you test as an MBTI INFJ and you test as an INFJ in Socionics and they both sound right to you then there is obviously no reason to dispute this.

    I highly, -highly- suggest you learn to ask questions before you try to combat a person on their stance on something. That doesn't just apply to you fleur. If you are going to say "you were saying, 'bottom line, whatever your test says is what you are'" then you better be a freaking psychic as far as I am concerned.

    Wow, okay. You said you are "almost angry" because "nothing you ever said was directed at [me]," but it was in the sense that you originally commented about a discussion I was part of and commented on things that I had said. How would translating between the two theories be black and white? That would be considered shades of gray because they are not commonly viewed as related and we are exploring connections between the two. And no, I'm not psychic, but was clarifying what I was pretty sure your point was because you were saying we all misunderstood it. Don't tell me to learn to ask questions. You should learn to clarify before jumping all over people for "assuming" what you mean.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Chris_in_Orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent Stars View Post
    Who said anything about taking a test only once? I'm not seeing it...

    Also, you didn't specify that you were only referring to professional ones, so what do you expect?

    Maybe you could make yourself more clear, rather than saying "You're not getting what I'm talking about." and then not explaining what you meant while getting upset about it.
    I'm not upset in the least.

    And I don't pretend to have been clear in what I said, but you defend yourself as if it is only natural and right to take an unclear statement and make an assumption.

  3. #43
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    If anything, the people who are trying to translate between the two theories are the ones who are being black and white about this. (INFJ in MBTI is NiFe and INFP is NiFe so the two must be interchangeable) Everything I said was directed at this. If you test as an MBTI INFJ and you test as an INFJ in Socionics and they both sound right to you then there is obviously no reason to dispute this.
    This was sort of why I brought up the subject. I was asking whether the functions were defined differently in the two different systems, and if so, how are they different? Because I always define MBTI type by function distribution (not vice versa) and it looks like Socionics does it the same way.

    If the functions are defined the same way, INFJ in MBTI should be equivilant to INFp in Socionics, period. But that seems not to be the case, leading me to believe that either the functions are defined differently OR people are mistyping (maybe due to poorly written profiles or poorly explained function definitions). The third option is that people aren't typing in MBTI in the same way I am, they're just looking at the four dichotomies, in which case, I'd probably just look at their socionics type anyway. I guess there's a fourth option, too, which is me missing some key variable that would make this all make sense...

    Somehow this turned into an emotionally charged argument; not at all what I'm interested in here.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Chris_in_Orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fleurdujour View Post
    Wow, okay. You said you are "almost angry" because "nothing you ever said was directed at [me]," but it was in the sense that you originally commented about a discussion I was part of and commented on things that I had said. How would translating between the two theories be black and white? That would be considered shades of gray because they are not commonly viewed as related and we are exploring connections between the two. And no, I'm not psychic, but was clarifying what I was pretty sure your point was because you were saying we all misunderstood it. Don't tell me to learn to ask questions. You should learn to clarify before jumping all over people for "assuming" what you mean.
    Please show me where I commented on something you said.

    I still think trying to say INFJ = INFp is more black and white than what I was saying. Because that argument is a simplification of an idea. If that equation held any water that would mean that an MBTI INFJ would not even have to take a test to know which socionics type he was, correct?

    And I should learn to clarify? Are you serious? Nothing I said had to even be considered. The moment that people did consider it but made assumptions was the moment it becomes a problem, you can't argue with me when your premise (in this case, what you ASSUME I mean) is flawed. I have no problem clarifying what I mean if someone appears confused by what I meant; all of you seemed to be pretty sure of yourselves (however wrong you may have been.)

  5. #45
    Senior Member Chris_in_Orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    This was sort of why I brought up the subject. I was asking whether the functions were defined differently in the two different systems, and if so, how are they different? Because I always define MBTI type by function distribution (not vice versa) and it looks like Socionics does it the same way.

    If the functions are defined the same way, INFJ in MBTI should be equivilant to INFp in Socionics, period. But that seems not to be the case, leading me to believe that either the functions are defined differently OR people are mistyping (maybe due to poorly written profiles or poorly explained function definitions). The third option is that people aren't typing in MBTI in the same way I am, they're just looking at the four dichotomies, in which case, I'd probably just look at their socionics type anyway. I guess there's a fourth option, too, which is me missing some key variable that would make this all make sense...

    Somehow this turned into an emotionally charged argument; not at all what I'm interested in here.
    Sorry about this, I'm not being emotional, I'm just addressing my views on all this. Everything you said does make sense, but if there are 4 people who said they are INFJs in both theories then you may need to take a closer look at the functions. Is Ni defined in the same way in both?

  6. #46
    Senior Member fleurdujour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    I thought the consensus was to look at mbti and socionics as two seperate entities... I don't think you should be comparing two types or trying to translate mbti types into socionics ones (i.e. Infj = Infp)

    Whatever you test as is what you are~
    I had said that I was an INFJ in both, then said I got my answers from tests in both... then said that the difference was probably depending upon whether you are looking at Socionics for functions preferences or for overall types... you then said (above) that no one should be comparing two types or trying to translate between them (which we had been talking about)... thus responding to a discussion I had been part of, which I assumed to mean I would be involved in anything said about it, but clearly I have been assuming too much and you are RIGHT and everyone is a bunch of assumers who are wrong... if you want to point fingers and say who should have done what, then maybe instead of jump-attacking us all, you should have just clarified and pointed out gently that we may have misunderstood your point

  7. #47
    Senior Member Chris_in_Orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fleurdujour View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, here you have it, an ESTJ amongst a succession of 5 INFJs... let the headbutting begin...
    I should probably follow your example and gently take the discussion where I want it to go. This and what karenk was doing really show who was attacking whom.

    Quote Originally Posted by fleurdujour View Post
    I had said that I was an INFJ in both, then said I got my answers from tests in both... then said that the difference was probably depending upon whether you are looking at Socionics for functions preferences or for overall types... you then said (above) that no one should be comparing two types or trying to translate between them (which we had been talking about)... thus responding to a discussion I had been part of, which I assumed to mean I would be involved in anything said about it, but clearly I have been assuming too much and you are RIGHT and everyone is a bunch of assumers who are wrong... if you want to point fingers and say who should have done what, then maybe instead of jump-attacking us all, you should have just clarified and pointed out gently that we may have misunderstood your point
    Ok, this is just getting stupid. Nothing I was saying was directed at you. I'm standing by that. I made a broad statement, I don't mind discussing it... I don't even care whose right or wrong but you don't want to back down, instead you want to keep taking jabs at me for who knows what reason. If it will really make you feel better to win this argument then I will let you have it, but do not try to tell me I was jump-attacking anyone when all I was doing was defending my stance.

  8. #48
    Senior Member fleurdujour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    I should probably follow your example and gently take the discussion where I want it to go.
    I was just poking fun with a reference to the fact that most people in this discussion (and in the one on "INFJs Butt Heads with What Types") said ESTJs and INFJs don't get along. I was making a joke (I couldn't help but see the humor in the fact that this is supposed to be a discussion about how well our two types get along and then not even 5 pages into the thread some headbutting was already starting... that's not to say I personally believe ESTJs and INFJs don't get along... I was one of the few that said that the relationship could actually work quite well).

  9. #49
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Everything you said does make sense, but if there are 4 people who said they are INFJs in both theories then you may need to take a closer look at the functions. Is Ni defined in the same way in both?
    That's exactly my question.

  10. #50
    Senior Member fleurdujour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    Ok, this is just getting stupid. Nothing I was saying was directed at you. I'm standing by that. I made a broad statement, I don't mind discussing it... I don't even care whose right or wrong but you don't want to back down, instead you want to keep taking jabs at me for who knows what reason. If it will really make you feel better to win this argument then I will let you have it, but do not try to tell me I was jump-attacking anyone when all I was doing was defending my stance.
    I am not trying to win anything, just defending myself as well. You keep saying we are all wrong because we're making assumptions and are wrong for doing so. I just felt as though you were attacking our comments and thoughts. This is probably just a big misunderstanding magnified on both ends.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJ+INFJ relationship, any thoughts about this?
    By Penguin in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 08:51 PM
  2. [INFJ] INFJ-INFJ relationship
    By Mr Snuggles in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 02:47 PM
  3. [INFJ] INFJ + INFJ relationship confusion! (warning: long winded)
    By True Blue in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 09:57 PM
  4. [INFJ] A INFJ relationship question...
    By blueblood in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 03:56 PM
  5. [MBTItm] INTJ + INFJ relationships. Ladies, your opinions please?
    By Wyst in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO