User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EvanTheClown View Post
    but you can have a psychological dependence to it, or else it wouldn't be difficult to quit at all.
    psychological dependence is for pussies. I am gonna go start shooting up 30 mg of morphine everyday for the next two months while increasing my dosage 5 mg a day. That should do it.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    psychological dependence is for pussies. I am gonna go start shooting up 30 mg of morphine everyday for the next two months while increasing my dosage 5 mg a day. That should do it.
    Yes, physical dependence FTW.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

^^^^^^^ I'll be shitting my self and puking in no time all while trying to call up my homeboy spider for a fix for the first four days. After that, it will be a nice dehabituation battle from there accompanied by severe depression and paranoia.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INFP

Well, your facetious comment does bring up an important point, G-Virus. And that is that dependence is a two-headed monster. It does have both psychological and physical factors.

That's why, even though an alcoholic is able to go through withdrawal and stop drinking for a period of time, he generally returns to it ready to give it another try. It's the psychological factor which leads to relapse and continues the progression of the illness.

If only the physical aspects of the behavior (or illness, depending on which camp you're in) are addressed/treated the behavior/illness will run a predictable course.

But this focus seems to step outside of the boundaries of the OP. Have we lost our hostess?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Well, your facetious comment does bring up an important point, G-Virus. And that is that dependence is a two-headed monster. It does have both psychological and physical factors.

That's why, even though an alcoholic is able to go through withdrawal and stop drinking for a period of time, he generally returns to it ready to give it another try. It's the psychological factor which leads to relapse and continues the progression of the illness.

If only the physical aspects of the behavior (or illness, depending on which camp you're in) are addressed/treated the behavior/illness will run a predictable course.

But this focus seems to step outside of the boundaries of the OP. Have we lost our hostess?

Anja,

I honestly approached the topic wrong, lol. I guess I was just wondering if it's a common trait amongst other ENFP's or just a psychological/physical/genetic disposition. I still find this topic interesting. My father is an alcoholic and has been for more than 30 years. My brother and I both have very addictive personalities. My brother has experimented with various drugs, casually drinks, and has a gambling problem. For me, my addictive "disposition" resulted in me having moderate OCD. I personally never experimented with any drugs, alcohol, but there is this addictive nature I have. I think addictive personalities aren't always substance abuse related. Any thoughts?
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INFP

Well, as I mentioned somewhere in here, impulsivity, low tolerance for frustration, risk-taking behavior, emotional pain all may play a role in developing a substance addiction.

There are many, some even include race and culture!

We know that certain personality types are more prone to those qualities than others.

The emotional atmosphere in a home where there is addiction also plays a role in developing priorities and values which are condusive to formation of addiction. Shame, anger, guilt, resentment, blame, sadness come to mind.

It's not a subject easily spoken of here, I think. But I've said plenty for the moment and perhaps you'll have others willing to express their opinion.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

My theory is that people are addicted to ENFP's.

Personally, I'm a big fan of risk. I think it may be because we do not feel fear the same way others do, true for myself at least. I can walk down an alley at night because I am probably the scariest thing in the dark That sounded really creepy.... Being aware of this part of my personality has encouraged me to make my own personal challenges to take risks in safe environments so I get my adrenaline rush without negative consequences that are usually guaranteed for other risk taking adventures.

My litmus test is: Could this one day be an Olympic sport?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Robert Downey Jr is an ENFP.
    I always thought ENTP.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Here is a cool little fact.

Most addictive drug? Heroin, Cocaine, Alcohol.

Most people would say Cocaine or Heroin, funny thing is that alcohol is the only one that can actually kill you in withdrawal. Heroin is physically addictive and a bitch to get rid of, Cocaine is only a psychological addiction (Severe Emo like depression).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i dont have an addictive personality. though really i think all types and everyone is somewhat obsessed with something. now whether you could call that an addiction or not, idk.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1