User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I don't believe in that. Is it in the DSM?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

I know that children of alcoholics are genetically prone to alcoholism, especially males.

But I doubt very much that a peronality causes addiction. It is the substance which causes addiction.

Gonna check the DSM. If it's in there, it's relatively new.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

I checked the DSM IV and they have two categories for addiction: Substance Abuse and Substance Addiction.

Thank goodness, or I'd have thought the psychiatrists had finally gone round the bend.

I've known 5 ENFP's who have what I consider 'addictive' personalities:
    - two of them smoke pot on a regular basis (although both have had their share of drugs in the past)
    - one of them smokes pot/drinks/parties/whatever pretty consistently (she's the loopiest ENFP I know)
    - one of them is a former alcoholic and now primarily smokes cigarettes and loads of coffee
    - one of them is addicted to smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

I cringe whenever I hear someone say they are addicted to pot.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ i do too...i just kinda can't believe it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP

I just ran through a few statistics on google.

It is estimated that there are 14 million Americans who meet the diagnostic criteria for alcoholism in the US. And 14.5 million regular users of cannabis.

It would be interesting to find out if someone has typed them.

MBTI
    INFP

Okay. Here's an interesting article by Stanton Peele that I've found regarding personality and alcoholism. There's nothing conclusive there but it discusses the many factors at play in the development of addiction to alcohol.

I suspect that a large factor would be the undeveloped personality and the attendant need to self-medicate frustration and emotional pain resulting from same. That's the correlation I could see. One could add in a few - aforementioned genetic predisposition, external locus of control, impulsivity, low frustration tolerance, abusive childhood, interpersonal dependency, mental illness come to mind.

Personality and Alcoholism: Establishing the Link

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    One could add in a few - aforementioned genetic predisposition, external locus of control, impulsivity, low frustration tolerance, abusive childhood, interpersonal dependency, mental illness come to mind.
    Boredom, culture, because they felt like it... It doesn't have to connect to mental instability. Or maybe they are ENFP reasons.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    I cringe whenever I hear someone say they are addicted to pot.
    but you can have a psychological dependence to it, or else it wouldn't be difficult to quit at all.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"