MBTI
    ENFP

^ ^ If your fishing...I'll be the big mouth bass

(OMG that sounded so bad!!! LMAO)
    "bad things happen when people touch me!!"

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by BlownAway View Post
    I had issues like this with my parents when growing up too..never felt loved and was very different from my SJ-parents. They didn't understand me and I grew up "in my own world". As an adult I've felt the need to repair this, to get appreciation, compliments, reassurance from others.. I don't know, maybe this is not at all related to type, more to what has happened to you as a child? Some of you ENFP:s here seem very cool and "home" with yourselves. So maybe it's more related to childhood and if you felt loved as a child.

I also have a feeling of worthlessness pretty often and I know compliments is just like temporary band-aids.. Well, well..can't change the past, only the future..
    Just know you're not alone!
    Ombaaraminayasabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    INTP

I have an ENFP friend that fishes for compliments quite often...she just goes through periods where she needs gets a bit insecure. It can be a bit annoying, if I'm being honest.

I think it's one thing to check to see if you're being understood or making sense or what have you, but if you're actually fishing for someone to tell you how awesome you are, the person you're asking will feel obligated at that point, rather than complimenting you freely. I think it's better to just come out and say that you're feeling a bit insecure--your friend will likely feel more like reassuring you.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I definitely do. I try not to be obnoxious about it though. I don't do it all the time, but if I do something that I feel was an accomplishment and cool I kind of prod my friends to see what they thought of whatever it was. Especially if they're quiet afterwards.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I have an ENFP friend that fishes for compliments quite often...she just goes through periods where she needs gets a bit insecure. It can be a bit annoying, if I'm being honest.

I think it's one thing to check to see if you're being understood or making sense or what have you, but if you're actually fishing for someone to tell you how awesome you are, the person you're asking will feel obligated at that point, rather than complimenting you freely. I think it's better to just come out and say that you're feeling a bit insecure--your friend will likely feel more like reassuring you.
    It is reading posts like these that have me :confused:.

I thought all of us ENFPs were all about understanding other people and being understood.

I can understand our desiring appreciation for the things we do and for the people we are, but who ever explicitly asks for appreciation? (excluding, perhaps when one happens to be in a relationship where they think they are being under-appreciated)

Fishing for compliments is directly related to feelings of *intense* insecurity.

I thought us ENFPs were a relatively confident sort.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well for me, I don't go up to my friends and go, "Hey wasn't what I just did like totally awesome?!?" But sometimes if I need some extra reasurance I'll just plant the seed of the conversation and hope that it leads to something. But it's not like I'm not confident, it's just sometimes I need that extra boost when I get down.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Nope, too damn arrogant . . . Yeah I am working on that.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I thought us ENFPs were a relatively confident sort.
    We can be. But because we rely very much on our environment for info and stimulation, a critical environment can also cause low self doubt, which in turn can cause our self-esteem to be tied to how the outside world views us and what feedback we get. It's one of our pitfalls and not an easy one to overcome. Consider yourself fortunate that you have no problems in that area
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Complimenting an ENFP = you just made their day

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"