User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Fashion is ugly

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Maybe this will motivate me to finally teach her to sew. I'm not great, but if I teach her the basics she could probably surpass me in no time.

FWIW, I can sew clothes, but getting a good fit is no mean fete. Impressive, Runvardh!

I'm so jealous! I make clothes from recycled clothes, but I don't know how to make it from scratch. I plan on learning the craft and hopefully making my own threads . If I could I would save money and wear one-of-a-kind pieces that no one else will have. That's one of my goals. Also, learning how to knit/crochet.
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I absolutely hate the clothes that have been out for the last few years. They're either slutty looking or stuff that I was wearing in high school. Been there done that. I like classy classics. Very understated but always in style. I have a hard time finding them anymore.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Heart, what kind of clothing items do you need?

Sweaters/long sleeve shirts/short-sleeve shirts/lounge around teh house pants/pants that are acceptable to wear in public, etc?

Does it need to be completely cotton or just mostly?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by soleil View Post

I'm so jealous! I make clothes from recycled clothes, but I don't know how to make it from scratch. I plan on learning the craft and hopefully making my own threads . If I could I would save money and wear one-of-a-kind pieces that no one else will have. That's one of my goals. Also, learning how to knit/crochet.
    Making things from recycled clothes is probably a lot more cost effective than making them from scratch. Following a pattern is not too hard, but getting a good fit isn't something I'm great at. Mostly just make costumes. I don't think there's any hope of my ever being able to knit or crochet. My attempts at crochet have been pretty horrific.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

White T shirts, and hoodies FTW.

heart on fire

I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who thinks current fashions stink! I thought I was simply becoming too set in my ways.

Thanks to everyone who offered websites.

My eyes are tired and burning today, but sometime this week I'll take some time and go through some of those pages.

I really mostly like princess waisted dresses sort of like my friend to the left is wearing or jumper dresses. Just seems like they get harder and harder to find. I don't care at all about fitting in with trends, I just like what I like and what I find comfortable. Oh yeah and the hating polyester and nylon thing. I don't want one scintilla of polyester in my cotton!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I'm kind of damaged The only two real "jobs" I've had except for extra-jobs during study are soldier and ship electrician... Both professions of course use utility pants... I can't have pants with less than about eight or ten pockets Girls need their silly bags, I need my silly pants. Not just cargo pants. I like the good ones... They shouldn't scream "military wannabe" so they can't be camo... But I use olive drab, dark grey and black. Another piece of clothing that is always present is the shirt with rolled up sleeves. I'm not much for colors, so they mostly go in black... But I have a white and a white with stripes

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP

I learned to make my own clothes to fix this problem. It's not as hard as you think if you just put some thought into it, and it doesn't cost that much money if you buy by the yard.

If I'm feeling lazy and find one of my shirt or something is too old to wear and I don't want to make a new shirt, I'll buy a blank cotton one and spray paint stuff onto it.

My favorite is an old green cotton shirt that says "sister fister" in very stylized letters.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I need to aquire a couple of clothing items and I just cannot bring myself to waste the money. Current fashions just seem on the whole really unattractive to me. I must be getting old or something.

And then even I find something I halfway like, it's made out of polyester...ugh I burn up in anything but cotton.

What I really want are some cotton dresses, woven cotton, not knit and not poly/cotton but cotton and I want them to look nice, not some battle-axe looking sack, but I don't see many of these out there now. What the hell happened?
    I know, right?!

The last time I needed clothes, I brought my 22 year old daughter to help me.
    I highly recommend a similar move.