• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Dealing with stress

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you've had a lousy day at work, you're low on energy, you get home and you just wanna turn your mind off somehow so you do not have to relive those moments and feelings constantly. How do you do it? What is your way to just zone out for a bit? Cigarettes? A drink? Espresso? Chocolate? Meditation? Sport?

What gives you that warm cuddly feeling inside which allows you to forget all your worries, and how/why does it give you that feeling?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
MBTI Central.

Also, MAKIN' OUT.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
My serious answer, which is related to my quip above, is that I go into avoidance mode. Right now, I should be writing an entry for my professional portfolio. Instead, I am dicking around on the internet. I KNOW what I need to be doing, and I KNOW that I'm actively avoiding it, and I cannot muster the willpower to stop myself.

MBTI Type
InFp
lol i know that feeling so well, had to do assignments for a college course i somehow managed to complete

we would be given them months before hand in and everytime it would be up till 4 in the morning on the day of hand in and rushing them at the last minute

even when i had to resubmit a couple i hadnt passed, i did it all in the last two days of the two months we had been given to re do them, always been the same too, although i always say right, next time im going to do it well in advance and spend a lot of time doing so, instead of a last minute rushed job

MBTI Type
InFp
and in response, the way i deal with stress is either to get hammered or get well in to my music, works wonder, bit of distance from everyone else also does the trick

S

Sniffles

It depends on the level of stress. Simple distractions to help take my mind off it are often enough: TV, reading, music, interacting with friends, contemplation, etc.

Often going to church, either for services or private meditations, helps in a big way; especially in times of deep depression. The serenity and peace of the place coupled with the amazing aesthetic beauty has a powerful effect upon me.

I cannot think of a better way of putting my soul at peace than listening to traditional chants. That and/or certain pieces of classical music.

Simple walks and experiences of nature also help in a big way as well.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
some sort of delicious atmosphere and great music or conversation...preferably a lil wine too
and nature...

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Quenk and other researchers say that healthy use of our inferior function is the best way to relieve stress because it gives the dominant a break.

INFJ healthy use of Se--sensible exercise, cooking, playing musical instruments, detailed crafts like woodworking or jewelry making

Unhealthy use of Se--mindlessly watching TV, overeating, overexercising...

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So you've had a lousy day at work, you're low on energy, you get home and you just wanna turn your mind off somehow so you do not have to relive those moments and feelings constantly. How do you do it? What is your way to just zone out for a bit? Cigarettes? A drink? Espresso? Chocolate? Meditation? Sport?

What gives you that warm cuddly feeling inside which allows you to forget all your worries, and how/why does it give you that feeling?

Sleep. A nap usually works to help me clean up all the horrible junk in my head. Either that or soup, chocolate, video games, and a long discussion with someone close to me about what happened...and then maybe a nap.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if i could do anything...i would grab a friend and a bottle of wine and go to the beach

but...that's not always feasible so...getting out amongst nature in some way helps or some other sort of delicious atmosphere with great music and conversation :D

S

Sniffles

INFJ healthy use of Se--sensible exercise, cooking, playing musical instruments, detailed crafts like woodworking or jewelry making

Interesting. Have any sources that explain this in more detail?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Pacing around in circles and rationalizing the stress head on works.
Short walks in the woods helps with clearing the mind.
Composing music.
Reading international news is a nice way to escape into other people's more serious problems and put your own in perspective.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I go for comedy (stand-up on Netflix), an absorbing documentary (not about war) or historical drama. Eg, we just finished watching a 54-episode saga about the first Korean female physician. During one of the busiest, most stressful months in recent memory, it completely erased thoughts of the economy, election, etc.

I also like chatting with my husband or a good friend, baking something delicious, having a glass of wine (I only drink one), taking a shower, going for a walk in nature or meeting a friend for coffee. I think many of those fit ed's suggestions.

For heavy-duty stress relief I get a massage.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Interesting. Have any sources that explain this in more detail?

This is brief but accurate:
sBMJ | Understanding personality type: What do type dynamics tell us about life stages and stress reactions?

The other web resources I found really didn't get at type dynamics...As for books, there's some stuff in lots of the type booklets like Intro to Type in Organizations. Check out Search Results to see all teh choices, including some inexpensive handouts. My favorites...

• Was that Really Me? by Quenk
  • Differentiated School Leadership by Kise and Russell has a chapter on managing stress
  • Soultypes by Hirsh and Kise

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
In general for long term stressors, it might be helpful to put things into perspective.

Is what you're thinking about important enough to worth stressing over?
No? Try a distractor task to help you forget about it.
Yes? Figure out what aspects you're stressing over. Focus your energy on solving specific areas. Plan it out, step by step. If you keep yourself busy and on task, you'll less likely to have more negative thoughts.

Finally always remember the body's stress response (adrenaline rush etc) is only good for short term. Prolong stress wears you down, makes you feel tire, unable to sleep, suppress your immune system etc. So try to remember to take breaks. Relax and do stuff you find enjoyable, go for a stroll, listen to music, try meditation or other relaxation techniques. Massages as Jae Rae mentioned are also great. :)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Quenk and other researchers say that healthy use of our inferior function is the best way to relieve stress because it gives the dominant a break.

So what are the healty and unhealty use of Si? :)

There are some great replies here, and a lot more ideas than I had anticipated :)

I personally have a bad relationship with chocolate. It calms me down, unwinds and gives a wonderful sensation in the pit of my stomach. So I'm looking to replace that with something else *grin* The only thing I have that works equally well is retreating in Nature, but that is not always feasible.

I do do the surfing thing a lot as well (why do you think I'm here :p), but I use that mostly to procrastinate, not to make myself feel better :) Tv same thing. Crafting jewelry, I've done for as a hobby as well as professional, and I was amazed at how relaxing that can be. But for instant relaxation, it does not beat chocolate :p Exercising allows me to wander with my thoughts, and then I'm back to being stressed, although dancing and singing at the top of my lungs (in some karaoke bar) is very destressing as well (but again, not always feasible, and also not handy when you're dead tired)

The rest of the suggestions, I'm going to let sink in... *smiles*

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Dealing with stress? I don't have much to say there except that I'm terrible at doing it to the point that it has led to a mood disorder.