User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    So you've had a lousy day at work, you're low on energy, you get home and you just wanna turn your mind off somehow so you do not have to relive those moments and feelings constantly. How do you do it? What is your way to just zone out for a bit? Cigarettes? A drink? Espresso? Chocolate? Meditation? Sport?

What gives you that warm cuddly feeling inside which allows you to forget all your worries, and how/why does it give you that feeling?
    Sleep. A nap usually works to help me clean up all the horrible junk in my head. Either that or soup, chocolate, video games, and a long discussion with someone close to me about what happened...and then maybe a nap.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

if i could do anything...i would grab a friend and a bottle of wine and go to the beach

but...that's not always feasible so...getting out amongst nature in some way helps or some other sort of delicious atmosphere with great music and conversation

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    INFJ healthy use of Se--sensible exercise, cooking, playing musical instruments, detailed crafts like woodworking or jewelry making

Unhealthy use of Se--mindlessly watching TV, overeating, overexercising...
    Interesting. Have any sources that explain this in more detail?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Pacing around in circles and rationalizing the stress head on works.
    Short walks in the woods helps with clearing the mind.
    Composing music.
    Reading international news is a nice way to escape into other people's more serious problems and put your own in perspective.

MBTI
    INFJ

I go for comedy (stand-up on Netflix), an absorbing documentary (not about war) or historical drama. Eg, we just finished watching a 54-episode saga about the first Korean female physician. During one of the busiest, most stressful months in recent memory, it completely erased thoughts of the economy, election, etc.

I also like chatting with my husband or a good friend, baking something delicious, having a glass of wine (I only drink one), taking a shower, going for a walk in nature or meeting a friend for coffee. I think many of those fit ed's suggestions.

For heavy-duty stress relief I get a massage.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Sniffles

Oh yes comedy is a good cure for stress and depression.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Interesting. Have any sources that explain this in more detail?
    This is brief but accurate:
    sBMJ | Understanding personality type: What do type dynamics tell us about life stages and stress reactions?

The other web resources I found really didn't get at type dynamics...As for books, there's some stuff in lots of the type booklets like Intro to Type in Organizations. Check out Search Results to see all teh choices, including some inexpensive handouts. My favorites...

• Was that Really Me? by Quenk
    • Differentiated School Leadership by Kise and Russell has a chapter on managing stress
    • Soultypes by Hirsh and Kise
    edcoaching

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

In general for long term stressors, it might be helpful to put things into perspective.

Is what you're thinking about important enough to worth stressing over?
    No? Try a distractor task to help you forget about it.
    Yes? Figure out what aspects you're stressing over. Focus your energy on solving specific areas. Plan it out, step by step. If you keep yourself busy and on task, you'll less likely to have more negative thoughts.

Finally always remember the body's stress response (adrenaline rush etc) is only good for short term. Prolong stress wears you down, makes you feel tire, unable to sleep, suppress your immune system etc. So try to remember to take breaks. Relax and do stuff you find enjoyable, go for a stroll, listen to music, try meditation or other relaxation techniques. Massages as Jae Rae mentioned are also great.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    Quenk and other researchers say that healthy use of our inferior function is the best way to relieve stress because it gives the dominant a break.

INFJ healthy use of Se--sensible exercise, cooking, playing musical instruments, detailed crafts like woodworking or jewelry making

Unhealthy use of Se--mindlessly watching TV, overeating, overexercising...

So what are the healty and unhealty use of Si?

There are some great replies here, and a lot more ideas than I had anticipated

I personally have a bad relationship with chocolate. It calms me down, unwinds and gives a wonderful sensation in the pit of my stomach. So I'm looking to replace that with something else *grin* The only thing I have that works equally well is retreating in Nature, but that is not always feasible.

I do do the surfing thing a lot as well (why do you think I'm here :P), but I use that mostly to procrastinate, not to make myself feel better Tv same thing. Crafting jewelry, I've done for as a hobby as well as professional, and I was amazed at how relaxing that can be. But for instant relaxation, it does not beat chocolate :P Exercising allows me to wander with my thoughts, and then I'm back to being stressed, although dancing and singing at the top of my lungs (in some karaoke bar) is very destressing as well (but again, not always feasible, and also not handy when you're dead tired)

The rest of the suggestions, I'm going to let sink in... *smiles*
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFJ

Dealing with stress? I don't have much to say there except that I'm terrible at doing it to the point that it has led to a mood disorder.