User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

If someone murders my entire family I might take matters into my own hands though. But that's outside of law. And I don't want the law to pity me. For the law to work, motivation must be thrown out the window, imo.
    Interesting, motivation is bound up in some key parts of criminal law. There has to be both the actual crime, and the knowledge/intent to commit (mens rea).

Motivation... it's difficult to unwind from criminal awareness of the act.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yes, that's where it's important. As far as advocacy is concerned, I draw a line. While there is excuse for strange behavior (basically "to each their own"), I do think crime should be always punished. Actions are the true judges of character. I pity a criminal who had a rough childhood but that doesn't mean I think he shouldn't be responsible for his actions. Revenge is never justified as far as the law goes. I believe law has to be completely impartial.

If someone murders my entire family I might take matters into my own hands though. But that's outside of law. And I don't want the law to pity me. For the law to work, motivation must be thrown out the window, imo.
    oh...i agree. i do believe people should be accountable but it's why i don't believe in capital punishment...because...i do think sometimes criminals were the victims of a despicable upbringing...and although they may not fit in in society...they can and should still have a life...in prison...to hopefully grow into a better person...that's my opinion anyway...and probably a horrible idea to bring up such a controversial topic...eeek.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    oh...i agree. i do believe people should be accountable but it's why i don't believe in capital punishment...because...i do think sometimes criminals were the victims of a despicable upbringing...and although they may not fit in in society...they can and should still have a life...in prison...to hopefully grow into a better person...that's my opinion anyway...and probably a horrible idea to bring up such a controversial topic...eeek.
    Really, the only true appeal of capital punishment would be sparing the cost of looking after some truly unpleasant murderous lowlife in a prison. As it happens, it costs more to put someone on deathrow, so there is little left to appeal (for me, at least).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm a determinist in philosophy. [ I'm aware of the fallacies of my worldview, calm down T's. ]
    In other words, I think of people more or less like plants. To me every decision they make is caused, every motivation is an indication of something else.

Which makes impossible for me to say someone is responsible for anything.

Can you see how I can fall deeply and genuinely in love with the "villains"? They are not bad, they've just been thrown into horrible circumstances... they are angels, really! <3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Really, the only true appeal of capital punishment would be sparing the cost of looking after some truly unpleasant murderous lowlife in a prison. As it happens, it costs more to put someone on deathrow, so there is little left to appeal (for me, at least).
    i know...i'm aware of that reasoning for some...i just don't like the idea of a life having a price like that...but i understand people have their own reasons for believing the way they do.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Xellotath View Post
    I'm a determinist in philosophy. [ I'm aware of the fallacies of my worldview, calm down T's. ]
    In other words, I think of people more or less like plants. To me every decision they make is caused, every motivation is an indication of something else.

Which makes impossible for me to say someone is responsible for anything.

Can you see how I can fall deeply and genuinely in love with the "villains"? They are not bad, they've just been thrown into horrible circumstances... they are angels, really! <3
    Can you expand on the comparison with plants? Do you mean they grow in an environment they have no choice about?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Can you expand on the comparison with plants? Do you mean they grow in an environment they have no choice about?
    Correct.
    I don't believe in the concept of free choice at all. Of course it "feels" like we have it. You can "chose" to type in this message board or not. But I like to think that there always reasons for your behavior even minute things.

We are like plants. We never chose what soil we land on. After that we are exposed to lots of stimuli, depending how we adapt to them..and to genetics...we turn out the way we do.

[ Hehe, so many tangents. I -am- home.]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

that's the enfp seeing profound meaning and purpose in everything...yep. i do the same thing...it's an interesting thing, isn't it?
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP

And also a pain in the ass erina... i have based major life decisions on the shape of clouds in the sky
    ... couldn't drag me away

eljko Ranatovic: argus
    eljko Ranatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    eljko Ranatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

for real a pain in the ass...especially when you're made painfully aware that no one else gives a damn.
    -Jim Morrison