User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 243

  1. #151
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

    If someone murders my entire family I might take matters into my own hands though. But that's outside of law. And I don't want the law to pity me. For the law to work, motivation must be thrown out the window, imo.
    Interesting, motivation is bound up in some key parts of criminal law. There has to be both the actual crime, and the knowledge/intent to commit (mens rea).

    Motivation... it's difficult to unwind from criminal awareness of the act.

  2. #152
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yes, that's where it's important. As far as advocacy is concerned, I draw a line. While there is excuse for strange behavior (basically "to each their own"), I do think crime should be always punished. Actions are the true judges of character. I pity a criminal who had a rough childhood but that doesn't mean I think he shouldn't be responsible for his actions. Revenge is never justified as far as the law goes. I believe law has to be completely impartial.

    If someone murders my entire family I might take matters into my own hands though. But that's outside of law. And I don't want the law to pity me. For the law to work, motivation must be thrown out the window, imo.
    oh...i agree. i do believe people should be accountable but it's why i don't believe in capital punishment...because...i do think sometimes criminals were the victims of a despicable upbringing...and although they may not fit in in society...they can and should still have a life...in prison...to hopefully grow into a better person...that's my opinion anyway...and probably a horrible idea to bring up such a controversial topic...eeek.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  3. #153
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    oh...i agree. i do believe people should be accountable but it's why i don't believe in capital punishment...because...i do think sometimes criminals were the victims of a despicable upbringing...and although they may not fit in in society...they can and should still have a life...in prison...to hopefully grow into a better person...that's my opinion anyway...and probably a horrible idea to bring up such a controversial topic...eeek.
    Really, the only true appeal of capital punishment would be sparing the cost of looking after some truly unpleasant murderous lowlife in a prison. As it happens, it costs more to put someone on deathrow, so there is little left to appeal (for me, at least).

  4. #154
    Senior Member Xellotath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I'm a determinist in philosophy. [ I'm aware of the fallacies of my worldview, calm down T's. ]
    In other words, I think of people more or less like plants. To me every decision they make is caused, every motivation is an indication of something else.

    Which makes impossible for me to say someone is responsible for anything.

    Can you see how I can fall deeply and genuinely in love with the "villains"? They are not bad, they've just been thrown into horrible circumstances... they are angels, really! <3

  5. #155
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Really, the only true appeal of capital punishment would be sparing the cost of looking after some truly unpleasant murderous lowlife in a prison. As it happens, it costs more to put someone on deathrow, so there is little left to appeal (for me, at least).
    i know...i'm aware of that reasoning for some...i just don't like the idea of a life having a price like that...but i understand people have their own reasons for believing the way they do.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  6. #156
    Lallygag Moderator Geoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    5,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xellotath View Post
    I'm a determinist in philosophy. [ I'm aware of the fallacies of my worldview, calm down T's. ]
    In other words, I think of people more or less like plants. To me every decision they make is caused, every motivation is an indication of something else.

    Which makes impossible for me to say someone is responsible for anything.

    Can you see how I can fall deeply and genuinely in love with the "villains"? They are not bad, they've just been thrown into horrible circumstances... they are angels, really! <3
    Can you expand on the comparison with plants? Do you mean they grow in an environment they have no choice about?

  7. #157
    Senior Member Xellotath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Can you expand on the comparison with plants? Do you mean they grow in an environment they have no choice about?
    Correct.
    I don't believe in the concept of free choice at all. Of course it "feels" like we have it. You can "chose" to type in this message board or not. But I like to think that there always reasons for your behavior even minute things.

    We are like plants. We never chose what soil we land on. After that we are exposed to lots of stimuli, depending how we adapt to them..and to genetics...we turn out the way we do.

    [ Hehe, so many tangents. I -am- home.]

  8. #158
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    that's the enfp seeing profound meaning and purpose in everything...yep. i do the same thing...it's an interesting thing, isn't it?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  9. #159
    Senior Member Wild horses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,917

    Default

    And also a pain in the ass erina... i have based major life decisions on the shape of clouds in the sky
    ... couldn't drag me away

    eljko Ranatovic: argus
    eljko Ranatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    eljko Ranatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

  10. #160
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    for real a pain in the ass...especially when you're made painfully aware that no one else gives a damn.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] You know you're an INFP when...
    By Lotr246 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 468
    Last Post: 08-19-2017, 07:18 PM
  2. [INFJ] You know you're an INFJ when...
    By Dali in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 2356
    Last Post: 03-07-2017, 02:37 AM
  3. [ENFP] You know you're an ENFP when....
    By Elfboy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 09:20 AM
  4. [INTP] You know you're an INTP when...
    By Martoon in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 174
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 01:14 AM
  5. [ENFJ] You know you're an ENFJ when...
    By Leysing in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO