User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xellotath View Post
    Feeling that you're capable of excusing any cause from any theoretical position while really holding none.
    Very true.

The rest is.... But I'm capable of excusing your behavior so.... Welcome, :crazy:!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

we excuse all kinds of strange behavior don't we? way too empathetic for our own good...this is why as much as i would've liked to be a psychologist...i would've been horrible at it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    we excuse all kinds of strange behavior don't we? way too empathetic for our own good...this is why as much as i would've liked to be a psychologist...i would've been horrible at it.
    I think in that way INFP and ENFP are very similar. They make good counsellors because they can be so empathetic. They make bad counsellors for the same reason (they get over involved, or can't leave the subject alone when they walk away).

I have an INFP friend who volunteers as a rape-counsellor. She finds it very hard to stop thinking of the counselling out of hours.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

right...i barely watch the news because i think about the families in the stories long after and wonder about them. i can feel an honest, genuine connection with people i've never met and want to protect them. it's so weird.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yeah, I think I might be a good at figuring people out (and I do like psychology) but to tell them what to do and be responsible for that....it's basically the same reason why I don't like being a leader.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

or a lawyer...as much as doing the right thing and justice is important to me...i can see both sides of the stories too often and have zero ability to see anything in black and white. it's hard not to take into account...the experiences in the persons lives that lead up to the event...so...what do you do with that drive? i guess that's where the advocacy comes in? maybe??
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INXP

or a lawyer...as much as doing the right thing and justice is important to me...i can see both sides of the stories too often and have zero ability to see anything in black and white. it's hard not to take into account...the experiences in the persons lives that lead up to the event...so...what do you do with that drive? i guess that's where the advocacy comes in? maybe??
    As a professional, I find that giving time to something helps with that drive. I'm a tax advisor, and I like to give low or no-cost time to what I see as worthwhile causes.

So I volunteer on a chamber of commerce committee helping provide business tax advice to local businesses, and lobbying the government on issues that would help people and their families. I also provide time to local university start up ideas in the hope they can grow them (eg a recent one was a proposed cure for antibiotic resistant superbugs)

That helps, I find.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Very true.

The rest is.... But I'm capable of excusing your behavior so.... Welcome, :crazy:!
    Oh, good... if you mean that then I really am home.
    Thank you.

And erinavery, I'm a psych major, but I doubt I have the emotional stability for psychotherapy (hence, I'm trying to focus on the research aspect). I've always wondered if there is a specific emotional training therapists go through, to teach you how to not let the cases overwhelm the rest of your life and allow you to remain functional.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yes, that's where it's important. As far as advocacy is concerned, I draw a line. While there is excuse for strange behavior (basically "to each their own"), I do think crime should be always punished. Actions are the true judges of character. I pity a criminal who had a rough childhood but that doesn't mean I think he shouldn't be responsible for his actions. Revenge is never justified as far as the law goes. I believe law has to be completely impartial.

If someone murders my entire family I might take matters into my own hands though. But that's outside of law. And I don't want the law to pity me. For the law to work, motivation must be thrown out the window, imo.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

the researching bit sounds fantastic! why didn't i think of that!? seriously...love to do research and with your crazy cool intuition i'm sure you could help tremendously with figuring out what exactly to do to help somebody...honestly...i think that's great! good luck with it!
    -Jim Morrison