User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 111

  1. #11
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, I think I'm more introverted, but I've been told numerous times that I'm an extrovert?
    Yes that confusion often arises with INFJs, people will often assume they're extroverts when in fact they're not. This has happened to me quite a few times.

  2. #12
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    When I meet with ENFJ's, they seem to never really loosen up. I get a sense that whatever I'm saying, they're sort of inwardly having their own thoughts about it that are something other than the smiles and nods they're expressing outwardly. I always go away feeling like I've made a bad impression... and then...?

    To my mystification, they later call me and say how much they enjoyed our chat and want to get together for lunch again soon, and I hear other people saying how they speak highly of me, etc...

    I just don't get it! Cos whenever I'm with them I really do get a very strong impression that I'm doing something wrong, that I'm being disapproved of in some way! lol
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  3. #13
    Senior Member The Third Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENFj
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    When I meet with ENFJ's, they seem to never really loosen up. I get a sense that whatever I'm saying, they're sort of inwardly having their own thoughts about it that are something other than the smiles and nods they're expressing outwardly. I always go away feeling like I've made a bad impression... and then...?

    To my mystification, they later call me and say how much they enjoyed our chat and want to get together for lunch again soon, and I hear other people saying how they speak highly of me, etc...

    I just don't get it! Cos whenever I'm with them I really do get a very strong impression that I'm doing something wrong, that I'm being disapproved of in some way! lol
    You are just paranoid.
    ENFJ 3W4

    If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

    *Actual time may vary.

  4. #14
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    ENFJs don't like to talk about themselves. You can even see it on the forum, ENFJs are the NFs least likely to have threads going on and on forever about them even though there is a small but consistent amount of ENFJs lurking on the forum (hey yall!).

    I reveal myself to people who I feel comfortable with which is a surprisingly small amount of people. I certainly don't have this huge vat of secrets I'm hiding. ENFJs have that nice Fe covering so that batshit Ni doesn't come out clocking people over the head and scaring them off.

    When you develop a good feel about people you learn what they're really interested in or what they're pretending to be interested in and you respond in kind. Pretending's not even the right word because that implies deception when it's not that. It's more like some repetitive habit we acquire when dealing with people. I say good morning you say good morning, you ask me how I'm doing I say I'm fine, I repeat the question back to you, you say you're fine and we're done. I know most people don't care what I did over the weekend or what I want to do with my life but they'll ask out of courtesy and I'm fine with that. I suppose having these jejune transactions with most people makes you more reflective than revealing and I don't doubt people can sense that.

    And mostly, when I listen to people telling me about themselves I'm also figuring out if they're the kind of person who I'd want to share myself with. I'm highly observational of people through interaction. If someone sounds simple in the head (which I can usually tell after talking to a person awhile) I'm taking the information and making decisions on if I'd like to have a deeper relationship with the person. Maybe Substitute isn't so paranoid because I know I do it.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  5. #15
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    like what?

    i don't feel like i'm hiding anything? :confused:
    ENFJs act like they love everybody. And NOBODY loves everybody.

  6. #16
    Senior Member StoryOfMyLife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes that confusion often arises with INFJs, people will often assume they're extroverts when in fact they're not. This has happened to me quite a few times.
    I've had that happen to me as well...people assume I'm naturally outgoing and sociable instead of realizing that it's not that I can't handle people, I just don't like being exposed to them for an extended amount of time.. It does get to be too much-- I'm fine during, but afterward, I feel pretty tired from all of the socializing.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5



    http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

  7. #17
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    At work today, a colleague said to me 'I feel like you're hiding who you really are from me'
    If you are just getting this from this one person, I'd think he was either really indicating he'd like to get to know you better and is feeling frustrated about it, not feeling he is accomplishing it ... could just a personal plea to get closer or they are just looking for something to nitpick about you and this was the best they could do.

  8. #18
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Third Rider View Post
    You are just paranoid.
    No, I'm really not. Point of fact, my shrink and I have discussions about my being actually too far the opposite...

    I don't get that feeling with anyone but xNFJ's, but especially ENFJ's. It's definitely something they're doing, because I speak to other people and they say they feel the same when they talk to the ENFJ. I don't know what it is, I can't and wouldn't guess at what's actually going on in their heads, but their faces and body language scream to me that they're not relaxed, not happy, not enjoying themselves no matter how much they smile and nervous-laugh...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    ENFJs don't like to talk about themselves. You can even see it on the forum, ENFJs are the NFs least likely to have threads going on and on forever about them even though there is a small but consistent amount of ENFJs lurking on the forum (hey yall!).

    I reveal myself to people who I feel comfortable with which is a surprisingly small amount of people. I certainly don't have this huge vat of secrets I'm hiding. ENFJs have that nice Fe covering so that batshit Ni doesn't come out clocking people over the head and scaring them off.

    When you develop a good feel about people you learn what they're really interested in or what they're pretending to be interested in and you respond in kind. Pretending's not even the right word because that implies deception when it's not that. It's more like some repetitive habit we acquire when dealing with people. I say good morning you say good morning, you ask me how I'm doing I say I'm fine, I repeat the question back to you, you say you're fine and we're done. I know most people don't care what I did over the weekend or what I want to do with my life but they'll ask out of courtesy and I'm fine with that. I suppose having these jejune transactions with most people makes you more reflective than revealing and I don't doubt people can sense that.

    And mostly, when I listen to people telling me about themselves I'm also figuring out if they're the kind of person who I'd want to share myself with. I'm highly observational of people through interaction. If someone sounds simple in the head (which I can usually tell after talking to a person awhile) I'm taking the information and making decisions on if I'd like to have a deeper relationship with the person. Maybe Substitute isn't so paranoid because I know I do it.

    howdy!

    yeah, i feel quite odd talking 'bout myself, but it's the only way i'll get answers. I don't know if this counts for anything, but when I'm with people I like and stuff. the energy's pretty contagious - i do like people.

    I also feel like when I'm with different people I may give off a different impression depending on who i'm with. it's not that i'm pretending as such, it just happens - why is this?

  10. #20
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    About not talking about themselves... that's quite a big NFJ thing generally I think that makes me find it hard to connect or trust them. in fact the main thing behind why I just could never work with my parish priest was because after a while I realized that I'd told him everything about myself including things I never told another living soul, and yet I didn't so much as know his favourite colour or what music he liked. He just never, ever volunteered information and even if I asked him for it, he'd give a minimal answer and then evade, turn it back onto me. It gave me a feeling after a while like he wanted to feel like he was in control, directing what was said... but also that he didn't trust me, so I figured in the end why should I trust him any more? In fact, why did I bother in the first place if he never intended to give anything back?

    edit - I once confronted him about it and he said when I was telling him my stuff he didn't want to "hi-jack" it by going on about himself, which totally baffled me. I tried to explain that I wanted him to reciprocate, that my opening up was a stream of gestures of trust towards him which, when they never got returned, made me feel resentful. It also made me feel uneasy around him - think about it, you're pouring yourself out to someone and they just sit there and don't say what they think or anything. What else are you gonna think but that they think you're an idiot but are just too polite to say? And how long are you going to go on sharing your inner self with someone who seems not to appreciate it?
    Last edited by substitute; 11-08-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typo
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFJ] The ENFJ "busy body"
    By INTJ123 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
  2. [ENFJ] What advice would you like to give the ENFJ in YOUR life? (or in your past)
    By Afkan in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 03:03 PM
  3. [ENFJ] The ENFJ shadow...
    By Kalach in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 05:50 PM
  4. [ENFJ] Where are the ENFJs hiding?
    By raz in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-26-2008, 06:53 PM
  5. [ENFJ] The ENFJ's Balancing Act
    By Brendan in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-14-2008, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO