User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default Depressed for no reason?

Do you ever feel depressed, or just down, for not particular reason ever?

I find myself feeling like this a lot..randomlly just feeling really down. Sometimes when I'm listening to deep music, or thinking a lot, or just sometimes in random situations..and nothing will directly trigger it. Sometimes, I almost am drawn to it, because it really triggers a deep deep compassion for things inside me..and when I do feel down, it feels like my compassion is magnified..but not in a way where I'm all cheery..but in a subtle, quiet, deep way, where I think about things, and feel deeply..deeply..for these things, and I don't know how to describe it..it just spurs randomly, and I just close all the doors to my exterior environment and take a long, deep, walk into my heart where I bond with my emotions.

Do any of you ever feel anything like this?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Yes. Although not as frequently anymore.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Si, all the time

MBTI
    INFP

I used to feel like that when I was a teenager. Either it was just hormone fluctuations or I didn't realize where it was coming from. These days I feel randomly tired or a little grouchy sometimes, but when I'm depressed, it's because I'm thinking about depressing stuff usually.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

it seems like there is always some reason, even if i can't figure out exactly what it is.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    yupp

yes! though first glance I read the title as dressed for no reason? I'm like well if you really want to be naked and you're home alone/no one else would mind then go for it.

but back to depressed for no reason, yes alot of times it will seem like I have no reason to be depressed but then I'll do some reflection and think back of recent events and then think to past events see how some past event is in any way similar to a current event and sometimes I've find the reason other times I don't.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Leave it up to a threadful of infps to get down and dirty as to why exactly they're so depressed.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes! though first glance I read the title as dressed for no reason? I'm like well if you really want to be naked and you're home alone/no one else would mind then go for it.
    Don't worry, this is definitely an INFP thing too.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Hmm, I don't think "depression" is really quite the right word for what is being described here, though it is indeed externally similar to the depression that other types can suffer. INFP's can suffer actual depression too, undoubtably, and for similar reasons to others. But this seems more like that strange state of intense, painful contemplation known in previous times as "Melancholy". It used rather confusingly to signify depression too before we came up with the current term; but I think it would be helpful to ressurect the old designation here to distinguish actual depression from a state which is probably as natural and necessary to most INFP's as eating and breathing. I searched out the words of a couple of very probable INFP's to back me up here as I believe they may make the point better than further explanation on my part:

48. Ode on Melancholy. Keats, John. 1884. The Poetical Works of John Keats

Il Penseroso. John Milton. 1909-14. Complete Poems. The Harvard Classics

I would at any rate propose that for most other types it is likely to be depression, pure and simple, an unpleasant state of endless negatives to be avoided if at all possible; whereas INFP melancholy is likely to actually be ultimately positive and life affirming. I certainly know that if I had gone too long without feeling really depressed I would probably start trying to make myself so for a while - otherwise it would seem as though I was becoming dissociated, not really alive in any meaningful sense any more... I'm sure this one is worthy of further analysis if anyone is feeling brave enough!

MBTI
    infp

Another INFP admitting it's all the time

Sometimes I know the reason, often I just feel down and can't explain to anyone why i feel that way again.

I hate feeling that way, get angry at myself for being depressed AGAIN, then get depressed because I have more to beat myself about.

From such feelings should spring many an insight though.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari