• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Depressed for no reason?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Do you ever feel depressed, or just down, for not particular reason ever?

I find myself feeling like this a lot..randomlly just feeling really down. Sometimes when I'm listening to deep music, or thinking a lot, or just sometimes in random situations..and nothing will directly trigger it. Sometimes, I almost am drawn to it, because it really triggers a deep deep compassion for things inside me..and when I do feel down, it feels like my compassion is magnified..but not in a way where I'm all cheery..but in a subtle, quiet, deep way, where I think about things, and feel deeply..deeply..for these things, and I don't know how to describe it..it just spurs randomly, and I just close all the doors to my exterior environment and take a long, deep, walk into my heart where I bond with my emotions.

Do any of you ever feel anything like this?

BillieMockrat

MBTI Type
INFP
I used to feel like that when I was a teenager. Either it was just hormone fluctuations or I didn't realize where it was coming from. These days I feel randomly tired or a little grouchy sometimes, but when I'm depressed, it's because I'm thinking about depressing stuff usually.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
it seems like there is always some reason, even if i can't figure out exactly what it is.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes! though first glance I read the title as dressed for no reason? I'm like well if you really want to be naked and you're home alone/no one else would mind then go for it.

but back to depressed for no reason, yes alot of times it will seem like I have no reason to be depressed but then I'll do some reflection and think back of recent events and then think to past events see how some past event is in any way similar to a current event and sometimes I've find the reason other times I don't.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Leave it up to a threadful of infps to get down and dirty as to why exactly they're so depressed.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
yes! though first glance I read the title as dressed for no reason? I'm like well if you really want to be naked and you're home alone/no one else would mind then go for it.

Don't worry, this is definitely an INFP thing too.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Hmm, I don't think "depression" is really quite the right word for what is being described here, though it is indeed externally similar to the depression that other types can suffer. INFP's can suffer actual depression too, undoubtably, and for similar reasons to others. But this seems more like that strange state of intense, painful contemplation known in previous times as "Melancholy". It used rather confusingly to signify depression too before we came up with the current term; but I think it would be helpful to ressurect the old designation here to distinguish actual depression from a state which is probably as natural and necessary to most INFP's as eating and breathing. I searched out the words of a couple of very probable INFP's to back me up here as I believe they may make the point better than further explanation on my part:

48. Ode on Melancholy. Keats, John. 1884. The Poetical Works of John Keats

Il Penseroso. John Milton. 1909-14. Complete Poems. The Harvard Classics

I would at any rate propose that for most other types it is likely to be depression, pure and simple, an unpleasant state of endless negatives to be avoided if at all possible; whereas INFP melancholy is likely to actually be ultimately positive and life affirming. I certainly know that if I had gone too long without feeling really depressed I would probably start trying to make myself so for a while - otherwise it would seem as though I was becoming dissociated, not really alive in any meaningful sense any more... I'm sure this one is worthy of further analysis if anyone is feeling brave enough!

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Another INFP admitting it's all the time :D

Sometimes I know the reason, often I just feel down and can't explain to anyone why i feel that way again.

I hate feeling that way, get angry at myself for being depressed AGAIN, then get depressed because I have more to beat myself about. :rofl1:

From such feelings should spring many an insight though.

milti girl

MBTI Type
INFP
I am now :(

I don't know why, but I want to switch off rom everyone, not explain myself to anybody, just be by myself. I miss home but am depressed at the thought of going home. I feel lonely and yet I know I have friends. I think my relationship sucks and yet I know I have it good.

Yeah, wish I was back to being cheerful again but I think I'm enjoying this too much :(

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And here I was trying to avoid allowing myself to stew in my own juices. No wonder I'm getting these feelings of burn out. The problem is I just end up stewing in a loneliness that I can't cure unless I stop the actions brought about by feeling lonely. Fucked if I do, fucked if I don't?

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I do, specially if I spend too much time alone.

Yes, especially during these times.

I am now :(

I don't know why, but I want to switch off rom everyone, not explain myself to anybody, just be by myself. I miss home but am depressed at the thought of going home. I feel lonely and yet I know I have friends. I think my relationship sucks and yet I know I have it good.

Yeah, wish I was back to being cheerful again but I think I'm enjoying this too much :(

I switch off everyone too. I don't care about anyone, or anything. I become bitchy and morose. There is always a reason and I can usually peg it, but I do nothing about it. Though I do find when I talk about it I feel loads better, but it doesn't go away. It comes and goes.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
There's always a reason to be depressed! Find it, dwell on it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Depression coincides with thinking. When we are ruminating, we are not happy. It is very difficult to engage in "happy" thinking since happiness is a very consciousness-less, active feeling. You don't ruminate over being happy. You just feel it.

So how do you become happy? Re-engage in relationship with the world, every time your thoughts turn back to yourself blow them back out to encompass the beauty of life. Realize the essential, liberating meaninglessness of all things. Live entirely in the moment and let go of any regrets of the past or fears for the future. They are illusions.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Live entirely in the moment and let go of any regrets of the past or fears for the future. They are illusions.

Tell that to my burn outs :eek:uch:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There is perhaps a difference between lesser melancholia and (greater) depression? If the emotional spectrum of human beings was represented by a deep well, depression would be rock bottom and melancholia would be the state of dangling halfway down, aiming for a better perspective?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Depression coincides with thinking. When we are ruminating, we are not happy. It is very difficult to engage in "happy" thinking since happiness is a very consciousness-less, active feeling. You don't ruminate over being happy. You just feel it.

So how do you become happy? Re-engage in relationship with the world, every time your thoughts turn back to yourself blow them back out to encompass the beauty of life. Realize the essential, liberating meaninglessness of all things. Live entirely in the moment and let go of any regrets of the past or fears for the future. They are illusions.
Am I sleeping? Have I slept?

This is very close to what I've known for years, but I know more than I'm able to express with clarity. Well done. A vague, related quote from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which you may have seen me quote before: "The past cannot remember the past. The future can't generate the future. The cutting edge of this instant, right here and now, is always nothing less than the totality of everything there is."

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ very well put synarch