• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] ENFJs ?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm curious...
My 14 year old son is an ENFJ.
His best subjects in school are math and science,
yet he's an avid reader and very verbal.
I'm puzzled because he's not doing well in his (English) Language Arts class.

Have any of you had that experience?

And also, what careers have worked out well for such an ENFJ?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
all the ENFJs share that, relatively, in common with your son..and I really find that ENFJs make very very great, caring, teachers, and as a matter of fact, two of my favorite teachers at school are ENFJs.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I have some ENFJ friends in University and they are quite versatile. One started in Genetics, but she didn't care for the genetics labs so switched to biomedical engineering. Another started out in crop science, but decided to switch to nutrition. I haven't talke to her since if she liked the program or not. I met one in a human ecology/textiles course. She was in the elementary education human ecology combined program. My male ENFJ best friend is in the trades, I think he's doing carpentry. My ENFJ aunt is a higher ranked Nurse who plans to pursue teaching Nursing in the future.

Because they're hard workers, they can do pretty much anything they set their minds too. A common trend seemed to be enjoyment of the softer sciences and a need to interact with people.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
My really close ENFJ friend is an accounting major. I think this was simply because her dad has a high position in Exxon and she wishes to follow in his footsteps. What is notable is that she is the president of SAB (Student Activities Board) at my University, and she is amazing at the job. It comes so naturally to her. She basically plans all the major events on campus. Everyone says she is the best SAB president we have ever had (especially when comparing her to the INTJ one we had last year).

We had our Halloween dance last week and she just stood in the very back by the food instead of dancing and having fun (like she normally does). I asked her if everything was ok, and she looked at me, smiled, and said: "Yeah. Everything is perfect. For some reason I'm having just as much fun watching everyone enjoy themselves at what I put together for them..." It was very heartwarming; and she did put an insane amount of time (two months) into every aspect of the dance.

What I'm getting at is that I think what ultimately makes her happy is leading and providing for large groups of people. She is naturally able to lead people in meetings and keep them engaged. Her dominant Fe shines brightly. I thought I would mention all of this in case you see these kind of abilities in you son.

And about not doing so well in English: It is possible that his class could be very boring to him. English is my favorite subject, but I often don't do as well in my English classes because the teacher picks a dull book to "explore" (e.g. Heart of Darkness), or something like that. It's insanely hard for me to put a lot of effort into something I don't find important or something I find boring. You should discuss this possibility with him.

Usehername

On a mission

Betchya his teacher is a traditionalist "good writing means less errors" kinda person without much ability to read subtext and symbols.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm curious...

Yes. I hated school from grades 5 on. I repeated 10th grade. I still graduated with the class I started with, but only barely, and only because people who had sway over such things cared enough to put me in classes they knew I would have to try to fail at. Meaning they cared more than I did.

I'm an honors student at college.

And yes, the maths and sciences are my forte and I'm also an avid reader and very verbal.

I simply do not like being told what to do and when to do it.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes. I hated school from grades 5 on. I repeated 10th grade. I still graduated with the class I started with, but only barely, and only because people who had sway over such things cared enough to put me in classes they knew I would have to try to fail at. Meaning they cared more than I did.

I'm an honors student at college.

And yes, the maths and sciences are my forte and I'm also an avid reader and very verbal.

I simply do not like being told what to do and when to do it.
LOL :smile:Brendan, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
LOL :smile:Brendan, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Lol. Anytime. ENFJ kids, if I'm typical of them, are very giving and flexible, but sometimes we just come to something we simply refuse to budge on. We have fiery personalities and are very, very stubborn. Though I'm sure he got part of that from you, being an INTJ and all, lol.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Betchya his teacher is a traditionalist "good writing means less errors" kinda person without much ability to read subtext and symbols.
You could be right. I don't know. I haven't met her yet.
One of the notes on his paper was "I don't like your style."
Not sure what grade he got on that paper.
She doesn't let the kids keep their papers.
Hopefully, I'll see them tomorrow.
She came across very TJ in her emails to me.
I'm not surprised my son is having a hard time with her.

After addressing her as Dear Mrs. so-and-so, asking her for a meeting, letting her know my son couldn't come because of a previous commitment with a different teacher, and signing it Sincerely, my name, the first thing I received from her was this:
"Any meeting would be unproductive without [your son's] presence. I shall speak to Mrs. so-and-so about excusing him for a brief period." And then she suggested a couple of time slots to choose from.

So yeah. Not surprised my son is having a hard time with a woman like that.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You could be right. I don't know. I haven't met her yet.
One of the notes on his paper was "I don't like your style."
Not sure what grade he got on that paper.
She doesn't let the kids keep their papers.
Hopefully, I'll see them tomorrow.
She came across very TJ in her emails to me.
I'm not surprised my son is having a hard time with her.

After addressing her as Dear Mrs. so-and-so, asking her for a meeting, letting her know my son couldn't come because of a previous commitment with a different teacher, and signing it Sincerely, my name, the first thing I received from her was this:
"Any meeting would be unproductive without [your son's] presence. I shall speak to Mrs. so-and-so about excusing him for a brief period." And then she suggested a couple of time slots to choose from.

So yeah. Not surprised my son is having a hard time with a woman like that.
Well, just to caution you, if she turns out to be an ESTJ, all bets are off. In my first-hand experience, ESTJ and ENFJ are an explosive combination.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well, just to caution you, if she turns out to be an ESTJ, all bets are off. In my first-hand experience, ESTJ and ENFJ are an explosive combination.
I've witnessed that.
It wasn't pretty.

BTW: He's insisting that he has ADD because his thoughts keep side-tracking and it takes him too long to do his homework.
Any comments?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
BTW: He's insisting that he has ADD because his thoughts keep side-tracking and it takes him too long to do his homework.
Any comments?
LOL. My comment on the matter is: word, homey.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm curious...

And also, what careers have worked out well for such an ENFJ?

I did very well in English and just about anything that didn't involve numbers (in which case I really had to grind it out). I was a mechanic (which I don't recommend) and had been in robotics/automation (until the numbers threatened to take me hostage).

Anything that can make him feel thoroughly engaged with potential to socialize and evolve.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did very well in English and just about anything that didn't involve numbers (in which case I really had to grind it out). I was a mechanic (which I don't recommend) and had been in robotics/automation (until the numbers threatened to take me hostage).

Anything that can make him feel thoroughly engaged with potential to socialize and evolve.
Thank you. :)

booya moon

MBTI Type
ENTP
My husband is an ENFJ and he is very good at maths and computer science. Eventualy that led him to PhD in robotics (and he really enjoys his work). He is also a great teacher (he teaches part-time at the Uni).
And yes, he likes to read: usually science books that are not from his field (recently he is into genetics :D - my field), he also likes science-fiction novels.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
physical therapist!

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I've witnessed that.
It wasn't pretty.

Any comments?

That happens to me as well, whenever I find a subject that is dull or borring my mind starts wondering off 2 seconds into writing/reading the first line on the page. I too have wondered if I have ADD. lol I guess it's normal, i was a very good student back in middle school and I was always very good at math as well and I too enjoy reading a lot. But when I went to high school it all went down hill from there. lol My peers were just a bunch of clowns and I had real hard time focusing.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That happens to me as well, whenever I find a subject that is dull or borring my mind starts wondering off 2 seconds into writing/reading the first line on the page. I too have wondered if I have ADD. lol I guess it's normal, i was a very good student back in middle school and I was always very good at math as well and I too enjoy reading a lot. But when I went to high school it all went down hill from there. lol My peers were just a bunch of clowns and I have real hard time focusing.
Thank you for sharing that. I'll have my son read it. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One I know in Norway is a makeup-artist.
The other two I know are hopeless people who never seem to be able to move from their parents houses and get real jobs :D