• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Introverted or extroverted?

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
How do you konw if you're introverted or extroverted NF?
I know I'm an introvert but I've got this close friend who keeps insisting that I'm an extrovert and saying that I'm deluding myself from who I really am.
My other close friends say that I'm an introvert.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just do. LOL!
Nah, It's just common sense really. I had an extroverted friend who drove me nuts because sure enough, he knew I'd be pottering round the house, enjoying time alone, when he'd spontaneously drop by. I asked him one time after he stayed the whole day, just to hang out, "Don't you need time alone? Sometimes I can't hear myself think when you're around."
He told me he didn't like to be alone, because then he couldn't think properly.
This was long before, I had the proper definitions of extroverion and introversion.
What I mean is by common sense, if you catch yourself predominantly, saying either one of those things to yourself (and variations), then the next step is conclude you are either extroverted or introverted.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Just do. LOL!
Nah, It's just common sense really. I had an extroverted friend who drove me nuts because sure enough, he knew I'd be pottering round the house, enjoying time alone, when he'd spontaneously drop by. I asked him one time after he stayed the whole day, just to hang out, "Don't you need time alone? Sometimes I can't hear myself think when you're around."
He told me he didn't like to be alone, because then he couldn't think properly.
This was long before, I had the proper definitions of extroverion and introversion.
What I mean is by common sense, if you catch yourself predominantly, saying either one of those things to yourself (and variations), then the next step is conclude you are either extroverted or introverted.

See when i read stuff like this I'm back to wondering if I was an introvert before, or if my depression led me there because 10yrs ago I was the friend dropping round because I couldn't stand be alone.

I would go out to seek out company at all times rather than be alone. Once every few months I would take some time out, like a day or two and then I would be straight round to bugging my friends for company. :shock:

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I know I'm an introvert but I've got this close friend who keeps insisting that I'm an extrovert and saying that I'm deluding myself from who I really am.

Ask both the friends why they peg you as such, it can be very helpful for you.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Perhaps your one friend is the one who is deluded?

Why don't you tell us what she is basing her opinion on,
and also what you are basing your opinion on,
and then we can give you some input.

btw:
My own sister, who is very good at MBTT
thought I was an Extrovert for a long time.
I can extrovert;
it's just not what I prefer,
and it exhausts me.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
See when i read stuff like this I'm back to wondering if I was an introvert before, or if my depression led me there because 10yrs ago I was the friend dropping round because I couldn't stand be alone.

I would go out to seek out company at all times rather than be alone. Once every few months I would take some time out, like a day or two and then I would be straight round to bugging my friends for company. :shock:
It's not just about being alone.
It's about being able to think while alone.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm very introverted and I have introverted friends who are less so then myself, so I tend to peg them as extroverts at first. So maybe this is why she thinks this. I don't know I could be full of crap. You know what don't listen to me, I'm not awake yet.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I think its harder for extroverts to do good thinking when they are alone. A friend of mine always says he gets depressed when he starts thinking by himself. He does his most productive thinking in the company of others.. I don't know if this is because he is an extrovert though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...i think i think about my thoughts when i'm alone and think about others thoughts and my feelings about them when i'm not...???

haven't thought about it before...i'm new to this too :D

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
You mean there are people who don't think when they are alone? :shock:

I thought it was kinda ridiculous a theory at first, but the truth is I now see what it might mean.

Take soul-searching for instances. Until quite recently I was in a very tough spot in my life. What to do, how to face my problems... It was difficult for me to get out of my rut as a hermit (i was spending a lot of time alone) but talking with people, just being with people helped me get my act together.

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
Perhaps your one friend is the one who is deluded?

Why don't you tell us what she is basing her opinion on,
and also what you are basing your opinion on,
and then we can give you some input.

btw:
My own sister, who is very good at MBTT
thought I was an Extrovert for a long time.
I can extrovert;
it's just not what I prefer,
and it exhausts me.

Well, the friend who keeps insisting that I'm an introvert says that I'm one because I'm friendly to people, even to people I don't know and that I'm not as quiet as she is around our small group of close friends(because shes an introvert as well) and that my body language, apparently, tells her that i'm an extrovert.

My friends who agree with me that I'm an introvert say that I appear to be more of a "solo" person, meaning I don't really like hanging around large groups of people, or even working with them. Whenever I study I have to do it alone because I can't concentrate in a group. And also that I'm more restrained compared to extroverts.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
So why are you listening to your friend? Say STFU nerd!

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the friend who keeps insisting that I'm an introvert says that I'm one because I'm friendly to people, even to people I don't know and that I'm not as quiet as she is around our small group of close friends(because shes an introvert as well) and that my body language, apparently, tells her that i'm an extrovert.
Ah, I see. Well if that was the definition of an extrovert, I would be one too. I can extremely loud and bosterious if I'm comfortable. I think I come across as open too (to a point). I can talk to new people, if I'm feeling brave.
My friends who agree with me that I'm an introvert say that I appear to be more of a "solo" person, meaning I don't really like hanging around large groups of people, or even working with them. Whenever I study I have to do it alone because I can't concentrate in a group. And also that I'm more restrained compared to extroverts.[/QUOTE]
See this friend seems a bit more clued on, to be honest.

There is a difference between introversion and shy. Just because you are introverted, it doesn't mean you are scared of people. I think your first friend might be mixing the two things up.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
Good definitions of I/E here, on a small scale. I used to label a lot of people as extraverted as well, while I'm almost always the most introverted. With MBTI I have learnt that there are some quite different kinds of introverts (as well as E's). All my family and friends are I. But no one of them is INTP.

Some of my friends I have to convince they are I. There is pretty much societal/personal inclination towards E behaviour. Mostly they will admit that at least earlier they were I, and then i think it will remain your basic type forever (Even if you learn all kinds of behaviours). Also if one of one's parents is E, someone will probably behave more like that.

I've heard one friends' friend tell that he couldn't think when alone (just didn't have thoughts, or had to think of them). And had him and another E think my friend was E (while being INFJ).

Hope this is clear...

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
fact is, in my experience with personality typing, I/E preference is the most likely to change, over the shortest times. i an average E (bout 50%) however it changes every couple of days, drops to a very weak I (about 10% every so often) it all about how you deal with people, and what you get from a relationship.

for me, i deal with it as a case of an E gets strength from debate, whereas an I loses strength, and gets worn out.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

My friends who agree with me that I'm an introvert say that I appear to be more of a "solo" person, meaning I don't really like hanging around large groups of people, or even working with them. Whenever I study I have to do it alone because I can't concentrate in a group. And also that I'm more restrained compared to extroverts.
"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Extraverts' energy is directed primarily outward, towards people and things outside of themselves. Introverts' energy is primarily directed inward, towards their own thoughts, perceptions, and reactions. Therefore, Extraverts tend to be more naturally active, expressive, social, and interested in many things, whereas Introverts tend to be more reserved, private, cautious, and interested in fewer interactions, but with greater depth and focus."[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Extraverts often:
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Have high energy [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Talk more than listen[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Think out loud [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Act, then think[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Like to be around people a lot [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Prefer a public role[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Can sometimes be easily distracted[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Prefer to do lots of things at once[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Are outgoing & enthusiastic[/SIZE][/FONT]

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Introverts often:
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Have quiet energy [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Listen more than talk[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Think quietly inside my head[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Think, then act [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Feel comfortable being alone[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Prefer to work "behind-the-scenes"[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Have good powers of concentration[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Prefer to focus on one thing at a time[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Are self-contained and reserved[/SIZE][/FONT]
from Personality Type Welcome

Which group would you say best describes you?
I am like you, I can be friendly and extravert also,
but as I said, it exhausts me. I am an introvert.

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
while this is true, i tend to find it easier to think about not where the energy is going, but where it is coming from,

it satisfies more of the statistics in my eyes. (for example, i enjoy talking, but i love to listen more)

so instead of an extrovert give out energy, and an introvert stores it

think of it as an extrovert gains energy from dealing with people
and an introvert uses energy to keep up.

(bearing in mind that with all types, balance is the key)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have been looking for better definitions of E and I, and I found this post by BlueWing in another thread.
I bolded the part that I think might be helpful to you.

If you say I am a Thinking type and also I am an Introvert, it means that you use Thinking primarily in the realm of Introversion.

Introvert/Extrovert distinction is primarily concerned with showing how we derive energy. In the case of the Introvert, it is through solitary contemplation, in the case of the Extrovert, it is through interaction with the external world.

Thus, if we have the concept of a Thinker and an Introvert, we maintain that the Thinker in question is most easily inspired to think when he/she is alone. When we maintain that one is an Extroverted Thinker, we claim that one is most easily inspired to Think in activities which involve interaction with the external world.

Clearly, the concept of Introversion and Extroversion specifies direction of the functions. In order to claim that functions lack directions, this concept must be abrogated.