User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    You mean there are people who don't think when they are alone?
    I thought it was kinda ridiculous a theory at first, but the truth is I now see what it might mean.

    Take soul-searching for instances. Until quite recently I was in a very tough spot in my life. What to do, how to face my problems... It was difficult for me to get out of my rut as a hermit (i was spending a lot of time alone) but talking with people, just being with people helped me get my act together.

  2. #12
    Member snowflurri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Perhaps your one friend is the one who is deluded?

    Why don't you tell us what she is basing her opinion on,
    and also what you are basing your opinion on,
    and then we can give you some input.

    btw:
    My own sister, who is very good at MBTT
    thought I was an Extrovert for a long time.
    I can extrovert;
    it's just not what I prefer,
    and it exhausts me.
    Well, the friend who keeps insisting that I'm an introvert says that I'm one because I'm friendly to people, even to people I don't know and that I'm not as quiet as she is around our small group of close friends(because shes an introvert as well) and that my body language, apparently, tells her that i'm an extrovert.

    My friends who agree with me that I'm an introvert say that I appear to be more of a "solo" person, meaning I don't really like hanging around large groups of people, or even working with them. Whenever I study I have to do it alone because I can't concentrate in a group. And also that I'm more restrained compared to extroverts.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    So why are you listening to your friend? Say STFU nerd!

  4. #14
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowflurri View Post
    Well, the friend who keeps insisting that I'm an introvert says that I'm one because I'm friendly to people, even to people I don't know and that I'm not as quiet as she is around our small group of close friends(because shes an introvert as well) and that my body language, apparently, tells her that i'm an extrovert.
    Ah, I see. Well if that was the definition of an extrovert, I would be one too. I can extremely loud and bosterious if I'm comfortable. I think I come across as open too (to a point). I can talk to new people, if I'm feeling brave.
    My friends who agree with me that I'm an introvert say that I appear to be more of a "solo" person, meaning I don't really like hanging around large groups of people, or even working with them. Whenever I study I have to do it alone because I can't concentrate in a group. And also that I'm more restrained compared to extroverts.[/QUOTE]
    See this friend seems a bit more clued on, to be honest.

    There is a difference between introversion and shy. Just because you are introverted, it doesn't mean you are scared of people. I think your first friend might be mixing the two things up.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #15
    Senior Member Llewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Good definitions of I/E here, on a small scale. I used to label a lot of people as extraverted as well, while I'm almost always the most introverted. With MBTI I have learnt that there are some quite different kinds of introverts (as well as E's). All my family and friends are I. But no one of them is INTP.

    Some of my friends I have to convince they are I. There is pretty much societal/personal inclination towards E behaviour. Mostly they will admit that at least earlier they were I, and then i think it will remain your basic type forever (Even if you learn all kinds of behaviours). Also if one of one's parents is E, someone will probably behave more like that.

    I've heard one friends' friend tell that he couldn't think when alone (just didn't have thoughts, or had to think of them). And had him and another E think my friend was E (while being INFJ).

    Hope this is clear...

  6. #16
    Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    303

    Default

    fact is, in my experience with personality typing, I/E preference is the most likely to change, over the shortest times. i an average E (bout 50%) however it changes every couple of days, drops to a very weak I (about 10% every so often) it all about how you deal with people, and what you get from a relationship.

    for me, i deal with it as a case of an E gets strength from debate, whereas an I loses strength, and gets worn out.
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

    ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

    http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

  7. #17
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowflurri View Post
    Well, the friend who keeps insisting that I'm an introvert says that I'm one because I'm friendly to people, even to people I don't know and that I'm not as quiet as she is around our small group of close friends(because shes an introvert as well) and that my body language, apparently, tells her that i'm an extrovert.

    My friends who agree with me that I'm an introvert say that I appear to be more of a "solo" person, meaning I don't really like hanging around large groups of people, or even working with them. Whenever I study I have to do it alone because I can't concentrate in a group. And also that I'm more restrained compared to extroverts.
    "Extraverts' energy is directed primarily outward, towards people and things outside of themselves. Introverts' energy is primarily directed inward, towards their own thoughts, perceptions, and reactions. Therefore, Extraverts tend to be more naturally active, expressive, social, and interested in many things, whereas Introverts tend to be more reserved, private, cautious, and interested in fewer interactions, but with greater depth and focus."
    • Extraverts often:
    • Have high energy
    • Talk more than listen
    • Think out loud
    • Act, then think
    • Like to be around people a lot
    • Prefer a public role
    • Can sometimes be easily distracted
    • Prefer to do lots of things at once
    • Are outgoing & enthusiastic


    • Introverts often:
    • Have quiet energy
    • Listen more than talk
    • Think quietly inside my head
    • Think, then act
    • Feel comfortable being alone
    • Prefer to work "behind-the-scenes"
    • Have good powers of concentration
    • Prefer to focus on one thing at a time
    • Are self-contained and reserved

    from Personality Type Welcome



    Which group would you say best describes you?
    I am like you, I can be friendly and extravert also,
    but as I said, it exhausts me. I am an introvert.

  8. #18
    Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    303

    Default

    while this is true, i tend to find it easier to think about not where the energy is going, but where it is coming from,

    it satisfies more of the statistics in my eyes. (for example, i enjoy talking, but i love to listen more)

    so instead of an extrovert give out energy, and an introvert stores it

    think of it as an extrovert gains energy from dealing with people
    and an introvert uses energy to keep up.

    (bearing in mind that with all types, balance is the key)
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

    ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

    http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

  9. #19
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    I have been looking for better definitions of E and I, and I found this post by BlueWing in another thread.
    I bolded the part that I think might be helpful to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    If you say I am a Thinking type and also I am an Introvert, it means that you use Thinking primarily in the realm of Introversion.

    Introvert/Extrovert distinction is primarily concerned with showing how we derive energy. In the case of the Introvert, it is through solitary contemplation, in the case of the Extrovert, it is through interaction with the external world.

    Thus, if we have the concept of a Thinker and an Introvert, we maintain that the Thinker in question is most easily inspired to think when he/she is alone. When we maintain that one is an Extroverted Thinker, we claim that one is most easily inspired to Think in activities which involve interaction with the external world.

    Clearly, the concept of Introversion and Extroversion specifies direction of the functions. In order to claim that functions lack directions, this concept must be abrogated.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Llewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ENTJ Extraordinaire View Post
    for me, i deal with it as a case of an E gets strength from debate, whereas an I loses strength, and gets worn out.
    The difference is partly what someone does with words (what it means, how it weighs).

Similar Threads

  1. Introvert or Extrovert?
    By Dyslexxie in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 12:14 PM
  2. Extroverted Introvert or Introverted Extrovert
    By nordic in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 07:22 AM
  3. Martin Luther King. Introvert or Extrovert
    By Elfboy in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Extroverted Introvert or Intoverted Extrovert?
    By briochick in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
  5. The Handwriting Thread: Introverted, or Extroverted?
    By Mace in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO