Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

Default Fe: No cute title...I just don't get it

I vaguely understand Fe. To me, it seems like the fakest function of all.

I tend to bump heads with these ppl very often. ISFJ,ESFJ especially. With their phony smiles bouncing around all giddy and shit.

When I think of Fe, I think of this:
    YouTube - Ashlee Simpson Screwup News Report

Can someone help explain this function so I can hopefully gain some respect for it.

Enneagram
    1w2

You make the BEST graveyard threads.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i don't know about anyone else but...i am the furthest thing from phoney...i have truth tourettes a lil bit actually.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    i don't know about anyone else but...i am the furthest thing from phoney...i have truth tourettes a lil bit actually.
    Well eNFP is dominant Ne and secondary Fi...

Fe is not a part of your major functions.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Fe types are actually quite sincere.

Only because they insist on using the socially acceptable/conventional ways of displaying this sincerity do they get shit.

If you want to look at insincere Fe, go look at the ETPs.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

okay then...nevermind
    no fun not knowing enough yet! haha

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post

I tend to bump heads with these ppl very often. ISFJ,ESFJ especially. With their phony smiles bouncing around all giddy and shit.

Can someone help explain this function so I can hopefully gain some respect for it.
    I have a feeling that when you're saying Fe, you mean Fe without grounding in introverted functions.

Fe, by definition, looks to external evidence for feeling validation. Fe users can be incredibly individualistic (INFJs probably most so), they just look for tangible reasons for feeling.

My feelings (value judgments) pretty much mean nothing to me before I can explain them in external terms. Something like -- X leads to Y, and people that face Y generally respond this way, affecting group mentality like Z. I'm in that group, so it makes sense that I feel Z. Of course, all of that processing requires Ti, Ni, and Se too...

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post

When I think of "Feeling" I generally think of Fe more than Fi. Feeling makes judgements based on how others are affected rather than judging things on impersonal criteria (i.e. thinking). Fe tends to do this directly. If they like someone then they will give the person a smile or hug or compliment or something. If they don't like the person, then they might say so (or possibly they will tell their group of friends they don't like the person). Fe users tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves so to speak (especially Fe doms). If an Fe user is happy or sad or angry or whatever then they tend to let people know it. To summarize Fe is the expressive type of feeling. (In contrast it can be difficult to know what an Fi dom is experiencing because they usually keep their judgements to themselves.)

Some people view Fe as fake. There are a number of reasons for this, but I think the most common is that a person with undeveloped Fe doesn't really understand that FJ types process things differently. For example a compliment might not mean much to an INTP, but it is a meaningful connection to a FJ type (assuming that it is perceived as sincere). Another reason Fe can seem fake is that ExTP types realize the effect different actions have on FJ types so they can learn to fake Fe to some extent. Ultimately the ExTP's are just faking it though, and this can make people think Fe is fake in general.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP

Agree with laser. But I am fake with people I don't want to establish a real connection with, obviously. I stick to pretty boring subject with these people so I can chase them off even though I seem very nice. I seem very "smiley face" and there's this kind of void behind it that lets people guess I really really am being insincere and don't give a damn about the conversation, well not all people.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm "on Mercury"-

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    When I think of "Feeling" I generally think of Fe more than Fi. Feeling makes judgements based on how others are affected rather than judging things on impersonal criteria (i.e. thinking). Fe tends to do this directly. If they like someone then they will give the person a smile or hug or compliment or something. If they don't like the person, then they might say so (or possibly they will tell their group of friends they don't like the person). Fe users tend to wear their hearts on their sleeves so to speak (especially Fe doms). If an Fe user is happy or sad or angry or whatever then they tend to let people know it. To summarize Fe is the expressive type of feeling. (In contrast it can be difficult to know what an Fi dom is experiencing because they usually keep their judgements to themselves.)

Some people view Fe as fake. There are a number of reasons for this, but I think the most common is that a person with undeveloped Fe doesn't really understand that FJ types process things differently. For example a compliment might not mean much to an INTP, but it is a meaningful connection to a FJ type (assuming that it is perceived as sincere). Another reason Fe can seem fake is that ExTP types realize the effect different actions have on FJ types so they can learn to fake Fe to some extent. Ultimately the ExTP's are just faking it though, and this can make people think Fe is fake in general.
    Precisely. I get accused of the fake thing all the time but I've noticed that it's only when I am being nice (which is sincere) and when I am happy. The accusation comes flying out of nowhere. It's strange.

I don't act fake with anyone. If I don't like someone I just try to avoid them because I'd rather them not upset me.