User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 107

  1. #51
    Earth Exalted Thursday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE
    Posts
    3,965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    last post = vague generality


    sorry
    wtf ?
    why apologize when its the truth ? - and an accurate one
    I N V I C T U S

  2. #52
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    last post = vague generality


    sorry
    Sort of like when you post "All types can . . .blah blah blah"?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  3. #53
    Senior Member mlittrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Sort of like when you post "All types can . . .blah blah blah"?
    exactly
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

    "You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

    Mahatma Gandhi

    Enneagram: 9w1

  4. #54
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    ...I do not need to be liked, but I do like to know that what I am doing is making a difference. When I'm teaching workshops, for example, I need people laughing at my stories and engaging in exercises not to feed my ego but so that I know they're getting something out of the day. That's very different from wanting to be liked...

    Now I am going to be pain and ask why do they need to laugh at your jokes to get something out of your workshops? This has been a stress for me in some situations with professional people, they have a need to joke and have their jokes laughed at and I may be in serious mood and not all that in the mood to laugh, it has nothing to do with them but they take the social aspects of the situation as a more serious gage of my attention to what they are teaching than what is actually going on in my mind...but actually if I take energy away from my own introspective about what is being taught or discussed to think about and laugh at their jokes and reassure/stroke them in the way they need, then I get distracted from my own train of thought about what is being discussed and it can take time to get back into the groove. It used to drive me crazy in college! Want to just tell the professor stay on track darnit!

    I've also had similar experiences with physicans, they want to joke and it's really important to them that I stop and laugh and appreicate their humor but I am trying to focus on the appointment, trying not to be scattered (sometimes very hard for me) and to remember what I need to remember to tell them and to ask so I am getting what I need out of it and they distract me with their Fe needs and while I realize this is just part of being in the human race it can throw me off track sometimes...and I am the one paying 200 bucks for the pleasure!

  5. #55
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    heart, I'd take it as more of a feedback thing.

    Say I'm a teacher and I need some indicators that my students are understanding what's being taught. If a kid's sleep that's an indicator she's probably not listening. If a kid is scribbling in their notepad, they may or not be listening. I'm not going to say they're not engaged because they may be but it's not clear if they are. If a kid is focused and is engaging with me by asking questions or nodding in agreement that's giving me feedback. If I can gauge how a person is reacting to me then I know if I need to readjust what I'm saying or how I'm behaving. If I have no feedback (and can take a multitude of forms) I can't tell if I'm communicating well or I'm being understood.

    If I get no signals from a person whatsoever I'm effectively blind. I'd really like to know of how people are able to communicate with others without some sort of feedback. What edcoaching described was a very Fe way of gaining feedback, although I'm sure other types use those sort of indicators as well.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  6. #56
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    heart, I'd take it as more of a feedback thing.

    Say I'm a teacher and I need some indicators that my students are understanding what's being taught. If a kid's sleep that's an indicator she's probably not listening. If a kid is scribbling in their notepad, they may or not be listening. I'm not going to say they're not engaged because they may be but it's not clear if they are. If a kid is focused and is engaging with me by asking questions or nodding in agreement that's giving me feedback. If I can gauge how a person is reacting to me then I know if I need to readjust what I'm saying or how I'm behaving. If I have no feedback (and can take a multitude of forms) I can't tell if I'm communicating well or I'm being understood.

    If I get no signals from a person whatsoever I'm effectively blind. I'd really like to know of how people are able to communicate with others without some sort of feedback. What edcoaching described was a very Fe way of gaining feedback, although I'm sure other types use those sort of indicators as well.
    Protean I do realize that these are very valid concepts as far as gaging attention for some people, I am just expressing my own experience with finding it distracting for myself when I have been a target of it. Yes, Te feedbacks can be distracting as well.

    If a student is taking notes and getting good grades, why isn't this feedback enough? If I focus on taking good notes and categorizing information in my own mind, I highly unlikely to be nodding or laughing or whatever. I can't take good notes or pay attention to the material if it is demanded of me that I be giving social feedback. I can't do both adequately. I caught hell at times in school over this.

    I am far more likely to think things over before coming to any questions to ask. Like would study in the evening alone with total concentration and then come up with questions that I would go and ask the next day. It doesn't mean I am not paying attention or not taking things seriously.

    Isn't it up to the individual person in the class to pay attention to begin with?

  7. #57
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Protean I do realize that these are very valid concepts as far as gaging attention for some people, I am just expressing my own experience with finding it distracting for myself when I have been a target of it. Yes, Te feedbacks can be distracting as well.

    If a student is taking notes and getting good grades, why isn't this feedback enough? If I focus on taking good notes and categorizing information in my own mind, I highly unlikely to be nodding or laughing or whatever. I can't take good notes or pay attention to the material if it is demanded of me that I be giving social feedback. I can't do both adequately. I caught hell at times in school over this.

    I am far more likely to think things over before coming to any questions to ask. Like would study in the evening alone with total concentration and then come up with questions that I would go and ask the next day. It doesn't mean I am not paying attention or not taking things seriously.

    Isn't it up to the individual person in the class to pay attention to begin with?
    Thus is the issue with Feelings.

    Thats why I say you should all strive to be a cold hearted insensitive T who doesn't register or care for those little signs of emotions.

    It would make the world a more stable place on a personal level. Better I'm not so sure....
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  8. #58
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Thus is the issue with Feelings.

    Thats why I say you should all strive to be a cold hearted insensitive T who doesn't register or care for those little signs of emotions.

    It would make the world a more stable place on a personal level. Better I'm not so sure....
    Te does it too!

    I had one math professor who did it and ugh. Math is not easy for me and I was always concentrating hard. He stops lecturing, looks at me pointedly and I don't notice and until everyone is laughing and then I note that he's staring right at me and finally I ask what and

    he says "Are you even paying attention?"

    and I say yes, why do you ask?

    and he says "Your expression says you find me very boring, do you?"

    and I say "No," and I am confused and my heart is pounding because everyone is staring

    and he laughs, sardonically and says "Oh, well then may I continue then?"

    I say "yes" what else can one say? My mind is totally blown and I just want to disappear. then he says "Oh well thank you then."

    I suppose he looked at me and expected me to nod back or something and I was concentrating hard on the subject matter and missed his cue.

  9. #59
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Protean I do realize that these are very valid concepts as far as gaging attention for some people, I am just expressing my own experience with finding it distracting for myself when I have been a target of it. Yes, Te feedbacks can be distracting as well.

    If a student is taking notes and getting good grades, why isn't this feedback enough? If I focus on taking good notes and categorizing information in my own mind, I highly unlikely to be nodding or laughing or whatever. I can't take good notes or pay attention to the material if it is demanded of me that I be giving social feedback. I can't do both adequately. I caught hell at times in school over this.

    I am far more likely to think things over before coming to any questions to ask. Like would study in the evening alone with total concentration and then come up with questions that I would go and ask the next day. It doesn't mean I am not paying attention or not taking things seriously.

    Isn't it up to the individual person in the class to pay attention to begin with?
    Yeah, hopefully that's their personal investment but not in the era of standardized testing!

    I used the school example because it was the most applicable thing I could think of at the moment to demonstrate Fe . I wasn't talking about students and how they learn but answering your question of "why do they need to laugh at your jokes to get something out of your workshops?" I don't mean to speak for edcoaching but I can imagine how the laughing at jokes is a signal to her (and it would be for me also) that people understand her, that she may/may not have to re-explain a concept, that she is communicating clearly. There are other ways to get feedback than this, but I suppose she was looking for more immediate feedback.

    But since you asked, teaching is the type of field that needs more immediate feedback than grades. I wouldn't want a teacher to ignore the puzzled look on my face (puzzled look being a feedback) when I'm learning calculus and let my failing grade be the only indicator of if I'm learning or not. The teacher can outright ask "Does everyone understand this?" or she can look for clues while she's teaching to indicate if she's being understood or not.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  10. #60
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Te does it too!

    I had one math professor who did it and ugh. Math is not easy for me and I was always concentrating hard. He stops lecturing, looks at me pointedly and I don't notice and until everyone is laughing and then I note that he's staring right at me and finally I ask what and

    he says "Are you even paying attention?"

    and I say yes, why do you ask?

    and he says "Your expression says you find me very boring, do you?"

    and I say "No," and I am confused and my heart is pounding because everyone is staring

    and he laughs, sardonically and says "Oh, well then may I continue then?"

    I say "yes" what else can one say? My mind is totally blown and I just want to disappear. then he says "Oh well thank you then."

    I suppose he looked at me and expected me to nod back or something and I was concentrating hard on the subject matter and missed his cue.
    I think its more of a need for "homeostasis" when its an extraverted function I would sense that you need collective agreement in order for your own well being. Good point about Te, I piss of my dad endlessy when I don't abide by his need for cooperation with things, Same with my mom and Fe. I would assume in order to feel "right" you need to see a sort of group consenses when you have an extraverted function like that, you are probably to intune with it to not notice these things.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Similar Threads

  1. Things you just don't get
    By EcK in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
  2. Those Crazy Introverts... I just don't get them...
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 09:33 PM
  3. [Fe] Extraverted feeling - I don't get it.
    By phoenity in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
  4. If you don't get, then you don't get it
    By proteanmix in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
  5. Cognitive Functions - I don't get it.
    By IXTJ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO