• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi: You only get it if you got it

R

RDF

I was raised by a family that I *think* are all Fi dominant (some are for certain), and I test rather high on that function (likely as a result). Certain differences come out during conflict. Fi is empathetic, but from a specific vantage point. It seems to have a somewhat constructed concept of the subjective world with strong opinions about it. It has arrived at certain conclusions that fit its model. The empathy is quite strong for those things that fit into its model, but for those things that fall outside, there can be breaks in the empathy. I think the difficulty in describing Fi results from the way a subjective model of the world is constructed based on so much nuance and those things which defy measurement. Fi can produce some of the gentlest, kindest people, but these are sometimes people for whom admitting a flaw or some way in which they have not measured up to their ideal is especially traumatic. When something conflicts with that model of the world it is sometimes emotionally necessary for Fi to lash out.

edit: Maybe I should ask: I understand that F and T dominants are considered the "rationalists" with constructed inner world views while N and S are the irrationalists with a less structured inner world. Is this correct? if not then my Fi bit would apply more to Ni I think. I'm actually a little confused on the subject not being certain if I am Fi or Ni dominant myself, but noting a difference in the way myself and some of the people close to me structure their inner worlds.

Great points.

Yes, F and T are both "J" functions--they construct a structured, organized model that is used to judge themselves and the world around them.

Because the model is structured and fairly rigorous, there occur anomalies like you mentioned. The model is rather inflexible, so it misses some things (for example I'm usually polite but rarely courteous) and gets injured or stressed by others. When others violate the principles of the model, I may lash out or I may simply dismiss the other--I may decide that the other person is no longer part of my world.

Like you said, it's traumatic when I myself can't live up to the model. So over time I've built a lot of cynicism and selfishness into the model just to keep it workable and applicable to the real world and my own capabilities. Otherwise the model can turn into a straitjacket and make action or interaction impossible, leading to a lot of frustration and anger.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
His point is Feelings are more experiential so in order for you to gain insight based on them you have to detach to a certain extent and impose structure and order to get something useful out of them. Like a journal. When you initially right in it it is just stream of conscious and does not immediately make sense until you step back, see what you wrote, analyze it, and impose a certain amount of structure on it so that you can use that information in a valuable sense in the future.
I believe that Fi is all about intro and intraspecting, or being emotionally intelligent, if you will.

Fi is about thinking about feelings, understanding and dealing with them, at least, I think. :)

R

RDF

It's interesting and amusing seeing how passionate some people with Fi can be. It seems like it would be to draining to maintain that, does it fluctuate a lot or is it pretty steady. Do you constantly sort of adjust your internal emotional state according to whats going on externally or is it more calm and controlled internally until something notable occurs externally.

Do certain seemingly simple things sometimes elicit really complex and deep emotions in you. Like maybe seeing animals or just something that reminds you of something that was emotionally significant. Like when you meet new people and you see there little mannerism's, actions, words do they elicit deeper and more intricate things in you that aren't immediately observable to others.

I notice two layers in myself: an external layer that emotes quite quickly and easily and even gets a bit out of control at times, and a steady-state lower layer that's much more calm. Many times the lower layer is watching and even laughing or sneering at the reactions of the external layer.

The external layer lives in the moment and is infused with a lot of Ne; the lower layer seems to be the structured "model" at the core of Fi and I identify more with it than the external layer.

The lower layer (the "model") is not often moved these days. It's moved by critical challenges to my existing values, or sometimes by deep personal associations brought up by some small event in the outer world--perhaps like you described in your last paragraph.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think bluewings main point, obviously he will get his word in about the matter, is that in order to bring more structure and plausible courses of actions based on those introspected feelings you have to engage thinking. For example lets say you feel someone "acts" nice yet they constantly do things that are detrimental to you, you would need to detach and not engage feeling to decide a course of action. You wouldn't continue to go on the misleading vibes you get, or at least I hope not.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
OK, from the Ni/Te perspective:

Situation: A salesman comes to the door, selling some pyramid scheme to people. He's very enthusiastic, dresses well, is impressive.

Fi-user: Doesn't buy the scheme because she/he sees that person react in a number of different ways, e.g. shifty eyes, keeps glancing at his watch, insincerity, etc. Fi user doesn't classify these observations, simply gets the impression on the gut level that this guy is a wanker and should not be trusted. Fi user relies on this "reasonable" judgment to make the decision to flip the guy off, but cannot explain "why" because they simply do not classify their observations in a manner that the Ti will understand.

Ti-user: Dissects the pyramid scheme, points out logical inconsistencies, finds the guy a sham and flips him off. Also a reasonable response. Could conceivably explain the reasons why this scheme would not work to an Fi-user, but the Fi-user has already moved beyond that initial judgment of "shifty guy" into "I don't care, I've already made the decision".

That is part of the reason why I personally think that BlueWing's descriptions are so waaaaaaaaaaay off. He has no personal experience of Fi, as can be seen from his descriptions of it in a reductionistic Ti manner. Also, I find in no way that Fi users are less prepared for the world because they're unable to be reductionistic ("using critical thinking"). If anything, they read people well because of their ability to read cues that may not be verbal.

Situation 2: Person sitting at the desk, their grandmother just passed away.

Fi-user: Something has just happened to that person, I can't really explain why... must be empathy. Actual way it "works": Fi-user observes slightly slumped shoulders, tense jaw, an unusual focus and frown. Fi-user concludes that something bad must've happened.

Ti-user: Person did not come into work, and boss explained that a personal matter has come up. Must be something bad.

Situation 2 basically describes my experience. I wasn't "freaked out" by my ENFP friend's "intuition" or "empathy" because I knew that she reads people well, and I don't have the best control over myself when something bad happens.

Same conclusions, different ways of arriving there.

R

RDF

Ti people do things that appear stupid to others, but not due to a failure of rationality.

For instance you mention a single INTP may reject a woman because he is afraid of failure.

You also explain in detail how INTPs want to live a life that is consistent with the model of how they should live that they have in their head.

That is true. In other words, they have a model regarding how they should live their life which is very rigorously outlined often, and they do not wish to stray from that model.

I would imagine INTPs in the situation you describe are more recline to be taciturn not because of a fear of failure, but simply because they are afraid of stepping outside of the boundaries of their model. In many cases, all that this model includes is a requirement that all actions must be thought through as carefully and rigorously as possible.

Relationships are often fuzzy, and because they are difficult to think through carefully and rigorously, the INTP will be tempted to avoid such activities. As you mention, they avoid activities that are not consistent with their internal model concerning how they should live their lives.

It is true that such INTPs may benefit by stepping out of their model and allowing themselves to take actions that are not carefully and rigorously thought through, as for example, jumping into a relationship that does not make much sense on the outset.

However, I would argue (and would like to in tedious detail) why the long term benefits of a carefully though through choice outweigh the occassional drawbacks of such choices.

Hence, I agree with your descriptions of INTP behavior, however, I disagree that it is a mistake on their part to refuse to step outside of their model or in other words, make decisions that are not carefully thought through.

A more plausible alternative that I see is engaging in relationships where the situation is more clear.

This is easily attained in an INTP-INTP relationship, and could be attained if the INTP manages to pursuade his/her non-INTP partner to provide clarity for the current situation.

Thus, my thesis is, it is never desirable to act without having thought things through.

By no means, do not feel obligated to drop the subject, I am quite interested in your thoughts on this matter.

Damn, I'm already way behind.

Anyway, as I said in my most recent posts, my own experience of Fi is that I have a steady-state model in my head--one that's been thought through and deliberated upon. I don't need to consult it all the time, and therefore much of the day I can react to events and interact with people without digging deep. But then at times something jars emotionally and then I go down to the deeper level where things have been thought through and stored.

So I don't really see any difference between what you're saying about INTPs and what I'm experiencing as an INFP. Both Fi and Ti are judging functions. They're both structured and organized (and structuring and organizing).

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
OK, from the Ni/Te perspective:

Situation: A salesman comes to the door, selling some pyramid scheme to people. He's very enthusiastic, dresses well, is impressive.

Fi-user: Doesn't buy the scheme because she/he sees that person react in a number of different ways, e.g. shifty eyes, keeps glancing at his watch, insincerity, etc. Fi user doesn't classify these observations, simply gets the impression on the gut level that this guy is a wanker and should not be trusted. Fi user relies on this "reasonable" judgment to make the decision to flip the guy off, but cannot explain "why" because they simply do not classify their observations in a manner that the Ti will understand.

Ti-user: Dissects the pyramid scheme, points out logical inconsistencies, finds the guy a sham and flips him off. Also a reasonable response. Could conceivably explain the reasons why this scheme would not work to an Fi-user, but the Fi-user has already moved beyond that initial judgment of "shifty guy" into "I don't care, I've already made the decision".

That is part of the reason why I personally think that BlueWing's descriptions are so waaaaaaaaaaay off. He has no personal experience of Fi, as can be seen from his descriptions of it in a reductionistic Ti manner. Also, I find in no way that Fi users are less prepared for the world because they're unable to be reductionistic ("using critical thinking"). If anything, they read people well because of their ability to read cues that may not be verbal.

Situation 2: Person sitting at the desk, their grandmother just passed away.

Fi-user: Something has just happened to that person, I can't really explain why... must be empathy. Actual way it "works": Fi-user observes slightly slumped shoulders, tense jaw, an unusual focus and frown. Fi-user concludes that something bad must've happened.

Ti-user: Person did not come into work, and boss explained that a personal matter has come up. Must be something bad.

Situation 2 basically describes my experience. I wasn't "freaked out" by my ENFP friend's "intuition" or "empathy" because I knew that she reads people well, and I don't have the best control over myself when something bad happens.

Same conclusions, different ways of arriving there.

I think that emotions are a much more fickle thing to go on. In order to have more practical use for them it is necessary to engage thinking to bring more usable sense to them. Would you not engage some thinking on the pyramid scheme or would you trust your judgment on feeling SO much that you would completely disregard whatever the hell the guy is saying. Ti types can can get away with being socially inept and having little ability to use Fe because at the end of the day thinking and interpreting verbal cues is necessary in order to be competent at life.

Fi types cannot simply disregard thinking to the extent that Ti types can disregard feeling because at the end of the day having some rigor and structure in interpreting logic is fundamental to any advanced things we do. Try and get through school without moderate competence in thinking, you cant. Everybody has both society forces you to be competent in thinking, it is greatly beneficial to be adept at feeling in the MBTI sense but not necessary. You can be as emotionally convincing or unconvincing as you want at the end of the day you need some competence in thinking for people to trust you, if not then you are setting yourself up for massive failure.

That is not to devalue feeling at all because we're humans we both think and feel, but in order to succeed in life we need a moderate ability to think and bring structure to BOTH our thoughts and feelings, feelings themselves are more of an imprint or cue of the situation. To understand and utilize this in differing situations we need a level of thought to detach somewhat and bring some "logical" order to them.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that emotions are a much more fickle thing to go on. In order to have more practical use for them it is necessary to engage thinking to bring more usable sense to them. Would you not engage some thinking on the pyramid scheme or would you trust your judgment on feeling SO much that you would completely disregard whatever the hell the guy is saying. Ti types can can get away with being socially inept and having little ability to use Fe because at the end of the day thinking and interpreting verbal cues is necessary in order to be competent at life.

Fi types cannot simply disregard thinking to the extent that Ti types can disregard feeling because at the end of the day having some rigor and structure in interpreting logic is fundamental to any advanced things we do. Try and get through skill without moderate competence in thinking, you cant. Everybody has both society forces you to be competent in thinking, it is greatly beneficial to be adept at feeling in the MBTI sense but not necessary. You can be as emotionally convincing or unconvincing as you want at the end of the day you need some competence in thinking for people to trust you, if not then you are setting yourself up for massive failure.

That's the perspective of a Ti-dominant person. You are, naturally, thinking in absolutes (yay, Ti). Judging the pyramid guy to be shifty does not preclude also having:
1) Heard about such schemes on the news and remembering it (Si)
2) Being naturally sceptical that money could fall into your lap so easily because there's no such thing as a free lunch and someone else is paying for it (Ni/Te)
Just because you're Fi-dominant does not mean that you don't use the other functions at all... But Fi-dominance does give the above "positive" abilities.

You're talking about Fi being dominant to the point of people being completely STUPID. That's like talking about Ti being dominant to the point of people being completely sociopathic, which is an example that I brought up earlier. Because Ti dominates here, you're thinking that the highest-functioning Fi-dominant person will still be less critical than a Ti-dominant person (as Fi comes more naturally).

I'll be the first to tell you that my Ti is a whole lot stronger than most INTPs' - it's the main reason why I initially thought that I was an INTP. But I'm not. And there are INFJs and INFPs at work whose Ti reasoning blow other Ti-dominants on the INTPc board out of the water. I will also tell you that they don't consciously "work" on it... They just "flip" in and out of modes, depending on what the situation requires. We're talking about completely different scales here.

I think Ti would be a necessary skill in academia, but I can't see it mattering very much outside of that field. Most of the Fi/Fe dominants I know IRL not only survive - they thrive in whatever they choose to do.

I don't know why I'm arguing the benefits of Fi/Fe. Maybe it's just that so far most of the discussion has been centered on how Fi users NEED "logic". Fuck that, I say. It's elitist and xNTP-centric crap.

R

RDF

But then at times something jars emotionally and then I go down to the deeper level where things have been thought through and stored.

Simple example. (And by that I mean really dumbed-down, just for purposes of elucidation.)

I'm watching some made-for-television movie, not particularly good or bad--just whiling away the time. Suddenly it takes a tear-jerker turn right at the very end, and all of a sudden I notice that I'm sniffling and getting teary-eyed.

That seems all wrong to me. I rarely get teary-eyed about anything. So I quickly review the storyline in my head and compare it to the model inside me for things emotionally powerful enough to cause me sadness. Nope, there's nothing properly emotionally powerful in the movie. Conclusion: I'm getting emotionally manipulated.

Reaction: I get pissed off, even full of rage. How dare they emotionally manipulate me. I invested two hours in this piece of crap movie, and they ripped me off just to go for the big ending. If someone were to enter the room right now, I would probably launch into a rant about all the flaws in the movie and the lack of artistic integrity in going for the tearjerker ending.

But by the time I've gotten myself properly worked up and pissed off, the tears and sniffling are gone and I touch base again with the internal model to see if I should be getting this angry about a TV movie. Conclusion: No. And in fact, I've been kind of laughing inwardly at these quick emotive change-ups. The whole emotional parade seems comic. Suddenly I'm in a good mood again. I dismiss the whole thing. I forget about the movie, figure I might as well redeem the waste of time by doing something productive, and go off and wash the dishes. Or maybe I stick around and watch the end of the movie and laugh at the depths of emotive rubbish the movie plumbs.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
That's the perspective of a Ti-dominant person. You are, naturally, thinking in absolutes (yay, Ti). Judging the pyramid guy to be shifty does not preclude also having:
1) Heard about such schemes on the news and remembering it (Si)
2) Being naturally sceptical that money could fall into your lap so easily because there's no such thing as a free lunch and someone else is paying for it (Ni/Te)
Just because you're Fi-dominant does not mean that you don't use the other functions at all... But Fi-dominance does give the above "positive" abilities.

You're talking about Fi being dominant to the point of people being completely STUPID. That's like talking about Ti being dominant to the point of people being completely sociopathic, which is an example that I brought up earlier. Because Ti dominates here, you're thinking that the highest-functioning Fi-dominant person will still be less critical than a Ti-dominant person (as Fi comes more naturally).

I'll be the first to tell you that my Ti is a whole lot stronger than most INTPs' - it's the main reason why I initially thought that I was an INTP. But I'm not. And there are INFJs and INFPs at work whose Ti reasoning blow other Ti-dominants on the INTPc board out of the water. I will also tell you that they don't consciously "work" on it... They just "flip" in and out of modes, depending on what the situation requires. We're talking about completely different scales here.

I think Ti would be a necessary skill in academia, but I can't see it mattering very much outside of that field. Most of the Fi/Fe dominants I know IRL not only survive - they thrive in whatever they choose to do.

I don't know why I'm arguing the benefits of Fi/Fe. Maybe it's just that so far most of the discussion has been centered on how Fi users NEED "logic". Fuck that, I say. It's elitist and xNTP-centric crap.

Holy shit there goes your F completely disregarding what I said. You in fact even proved my point in your post! you have strong thinking skills that allowed you to excel in school. When you read or write is it not necessary to do it in the most coherent way possible? do you not do that through thinking? while obviously being dominant F or T you fine tune on different aspects while doing so, you still largely do these things as a result of thinking. I'm not trying to state that since I'm a dominant T user that I'm smarter, quite the contrary. I'm saying that it is necessary to take in to account the actual words the other person is saying and you do that through thinking, at least the base core of their logic.

When I am engaging my thinking I obviously take in to account my Fe, right now I'm a little perturbed that you mentioned me being an "elitist" and it is evident in my post. Bluewing's emotional state is very evident in a lot of his posts despite his obvious Ti skills because we engage BOTH my point was that whatever we do as humans utilizes both, but the core of what we do at advanced levels requires competence in thinking, so Feelers are actually at a heads up in that department because they are FORCED to utilize it through education and speaking, arguing, reasoning and so on. Dominant thinkers are not necessarily forced to build up their weaker Feeling through socializing. They can and a lot of times do avoid trying then end up being socially inept yet they still can succeed in life, try avoiding thinking at its most basic level and see where that gets you.

Disclaimer: just in case you're F is still on fire. Do you not agree that some dominant T users are completely inept in using their F function, can they still succeed and be successful? YES. is it optimal no but highly plausible.

Do you know of any dominant F's that are completely inept with T skills? are they still very successful? probably not.

And I'm talking to the point of not recognizing and avoiding using thinking, and when using it still inept. I'm sure everyone knows a couple of T's that are like this with feeling but I doubt you would find many F's like this who aren't retarded. Iq tests measure your Ti and Te skills to a large degree if you are competent in that then you are competent in thinking, if you are not you will most likely not have a high chance of succeeding in life. As you know all types can excel in IQ tests which measures your THINKING not your feeling in MBTI sense but THINKING and once again I reiterate you have to be COMPETENT not excellent, remarkable, great, not even good just COMPETENT.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do Fi users have access to a greater variety of emotions before structure is imposed on them and are they sometimes more abstracted than those of NT's.

Yes, as inevitably their cognitive faculties are focused intensely on their emotional experiences. Even though the cognitive faculties of NTs operate more frequently and more efficiently, they are not nearly as focused on the passions as the faculties of NFs.

Hence, attunement with emotions is the deciding factor in this case because on the one hand we have a person who is closely attuned with emotions, and the other one that is almost not at all.

Thus a dom F will have greater intellectual access to emotions than a dom T.

However, a dom F who is Intuitive will experience emotion to a greater degree than a dom F who is a Sensor. This is the case because his attunement with the intellect allows reflection on emotions possible, therefore it is possible for him to experience emotion more. (Consider the following examples. If I am under anesthesia and I am pinched, I do not have an intellectual awareness of my pain, in other words, my brain never gets the ouch signal. In order for me to feel pain, the pain must be registered in my mind. This is what led many to conclude that animals and retards cannot feel pain. The ability of animals to feel pain evinces that they are attuned with the intellect to a degree.)

The same goes for the relationship between imagination and the passions. An F person who does have an imagination is in tune with the intellect more than the person who suffers from a vice concerning lacking imagination. Because he is able to understand his visions to some degree, he is able to have an emotional reaction to them.

Thus, we here establish that an INFP will have an emotionally richer life than an ISFP, an ENFJ than an ESFJ. However, in the case of the comparison of an ENFP and the INFJ is where we start to have a problem coming up with a clear-cut answer.

Clearly the INFJ and the ENFP have greater access to the intellect, but the intellect also contrasts with our passions, therefore supresses them to a certain degree.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Does a Ti dom necessarily think more than me, or better than me because they are a Ti dom?

Eh... Probably not.

Everyday I think, I can't imagine an existence divorced from thinking just as much as I can't imagine an existence divorced from feeling.

We are trained to think yet we are not trained to feel, so Aimahn, you are right, Ti doms may in fact be at a disadvantage, because they live in a society that doesn't cater to their emotional deficits.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thus, we here establish that an INFP will have an emotionally richer life than an ISFP, an ENFJ than an ESFJ. However, in the case of the comparison of an ENFP and the INFJ is where we start to have a problem coming up with a clear-cut answer.

Clearly the INFJ and the ENFP have greater access to the intellect, but the intellect also contrasts with our passions, therefore supresses them to a certain degree.
WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS INFORMATION FROM?!?!?

:doh:

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
IYou cannot use the root word of the word you are defining in the definition.?:

Yes, you can. Some things are true by definition. In the Critique of Pure reason they are called 'the analytic truths'.

All systems of reasoning are founded on axioms. Or the starting point of the argument. Thus, when you allude to the root of the term, you simply clarify or point out the essence of the term.

Cognition is a product of and affected by experience, no?:

I do not see the relevance. The inextricability of one from the other is irrelevant to their antithesis. In the case of inextricability and an antithesis both competing faculties will be present, however, one will be more pronounced than the other. That is exactly the case with cognition and experience.

Do you know that people actually think better when they are emotionally aroused/alert??:

Of course some degree of emotional arousal is necessary to think, you simply cannot do anything if you have no emotional arousal, you'd be listless. However, at a certain point the emotional arousal becomes counter productive. Only a very small degree of emotional arousal is necessary, the degree that renders thinking possible. (Which again is very low)

For me, at least, I do my best thinking when I am impassioned by some sort of stimulus or stimuli, as in, emotional excitation renders clearer and better thought.??:

Sure thing, lets invite a rock concert to all your finals!

When I am in flow, I am fully engaged in whatever it is I am doing, whether that be writing, drawing or conversing..??:

It is possible to do some very basic thinking in a state of high emotional arousal, as your cognitive faculties will never be expunged completely. Not a chance you will do your best profound thinking in a state of high arousal. I never heard of anyone going to the rock concert to write a book. And I never heard of a theoretical mathematics convention in a rowdy environment.

After all, what environments do we find deepest thinking? Obviously congregations of mathematics, philosophers and physicists. None of them ever came up with their deepest thoughts in a highly boisterous environment. And after all, all that talk about how philosophers, writers and scientists have often gone into seclusion to focu son their work must all be bunk!

Thinking and feeling are *not* antithetical to each other, no way, no how...??:

Ya, sure thing. Lets do a little experiment in psychology shall we? We are going to have a 200 lb, 6,5 man with an axe chase you (without warning, you will be convinced he is trying to kill you), and we will tell you that your mother and sister were already killed by this man (there will be blood smeared over his weapon), you will be running for your life for 20 minutes. In those 20 minutes, we will expect you produce your deepest thoughts on this one post!

But intuition itself is highly emotionally or even viscerally charged where something suddenly becomes apparent to you though you do not understand *explicitly* why or how....??:

Yes, sometimes value judgments interplay with Intuition. But this has nothing to do with Intuition as a thing in itself.

Um, what does that have ANYTHING at all to do with what I had asked you?....??:

This was the whole point! Experience and cognition are antithetical! Therefore Thinking and Intuition are antithetical with Feeling and Sensation.

What is the bottom line? You are quite correct that some degree of emotional arousal is necessary to inspire thinking. All activities require energy which we can access only in the form of emotional arousal. However, Thinking is not an emotionally demanding activity, therefore it requires a low emotional arousal. A high emotional arousal is not conducive to contemplation. (see the psychological experiment above)

No kidding...

By the way, is there anybody else on the board who would like to tell me that they do their best work when they are emotionally excited? Anybody here who would like to sit down to writing a doctoral dissertation at a rock concert?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Damn, I'm already way behind.

Anyway, as I said in my most recent posts, my own experience of Fi is that I have a steady-state model in my head--one that's been thought through and deliberated upon. I don't need to consult it all the time, and therefore much of the day I can react to events and interact with people without digging deep. But then at times something jars emotionally and then I go down to the deeper level where things have been thought through and stored.

So I don't really see any difference between what you're saying about INTPs and what I'm experiencing as an INFP. Both Fi and Ti are judging functions. They're both structured and organized (and structuring and organizing).

Do you think that this could be attributed to your age? The fact that you had time to develop your Thinking and for this reason your Thinking is organized.

Thinking is an organized function because it is in tune with logical reasoning.

Now, why is Feeling an organized function?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does a Ti dom necessarily think more than me, or better than me because they are a Ti dom?

Eh... Probably not.

Everyday I think, I can't imagine an existence divorced from thinking just as much as I can't imagine an existence divorced from feeling.

We are trained to think yet we are not trained to feel, so Aimahn, you are right, Ti doms may in fact be at a disadvantage, because they live in a society that doesn't cater to their emotional deficits.

???????????????/:huh:

All I can say...Where is the foundation to any of this?

By the way, you were right that the INFP would have a richer emotional life than an ENFP. Attunement with the intellect is necessary in order to have an emotional life. The difference between the attunement with the intellect of the INFP and the ENFP is insignificant comparing to the difference between that of the INFP and an ISFP.

In the case of the ENFP, the attunement with the intellect (Ne-Te) will become supressive of the passions. Yet the INFP on the other hand has just enough attunement with the intellect to have a rich emotional life without allowing the intellect to become a hindrance to the experiencing of the emotional life.

The SFs are hindered from experiencing emotion to a degree due to their lack of sufficient attunement with the intellect. For this reason many observe that NFs have deeper sentiments and are more sensitive to others than SFs, and the fact that NFs have deeper insights into people (which they claim derived from their feelings!) supports this point.

1)INFP
2)ENFJ
3)ENFP
4)INFJ