• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi: You only get it if you got it

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3 reasons this thread is turning out to be like diarrhea:

1. It started out as something the OP originally expected to be small and tame, then exploded out in runny spurts and is now something regrettably massive and unwanted.

2. It contains a few seeds to englightenment and kernels of truth within the deep liquid soup of waste and putridness.

3. It all has to do with the release of our internal feeling. ;)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

1. It started out as something the OP originally expected to be small and tame, then exploded out in runny spurts and is now something regrettably massive and unwanted.

2. It contains a few seeds to englightenment and kernels of truth within the deep liquid soup of waste and putridness.

I appreciate the humor in this. *serious face*

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The thread title itself was a claim of superior knowledge.

I did not interpreted it that way. As the great philosopher Mick Jagger once said: "You can't always get what you want" (even Fi). :rolli:

Even if you disagreed with CC, we should have waited till the other Fi-users would tell us what they think about it.
Intead, you blindly and forcefully attacked, since you apparently took this thread as a personal offense.

---

And frankly, the Fi-users I know are amongst the least arrogant people around us. When I see INTPs complaining that other types may be "arrogant", well, like I'd say in French "C'est l'hôpital qui se moque de la charité" (transl: "It's the hospital that makes light of charity"), a saying quite similar to "it's the kettle calling the teapot black".

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Actually, I was going to suggest that this whole section be split off into the feces and urine spray thread because if those don't keep cats away, this thread certainly will.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm glad I can double as a comedian, or for that matter you can and I can be a repellent. Maybe I should get on the cat litter market. :D

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I did not interpreted it that way. As Mick Jagger said: "You can't always get what you want" (even Fi).

Even if you disagreed with CC, we should have waited till the other Fi-users would tell us what they think about it.
Intead, you blindly and forcefully attacked, since you apparently took this thread as a personal offense.
You're totally correct there. Perhaps I should have let it be an F-only discussion, but I was offended. Additionally so because it was a continuation of a debate we were having elsewhere, and I perceived it as an attempt to somehow prove her position correct without my interference by appealing to those of similar persuasion. I would imagine you at least see where I'm coming from.

And frankly, the Fi-users I know are amongst the least arrogant people around us. When I see INTPs complaining that other types may be "arrogant", well, like I'd say in French "C'est l'hôpital qui se moque de la charité" (transl: "It's the hospital that makes light of charity"), a saying quite similar to "it's the kettle calling the teapot black".
Arrogance isn't tied to type, based on my observations. If I thought it was, I would probably say so. It's an individual trait.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad I can double as a comedian, or for that matter you can and I can be a repellent. Maybe I should get on the cat litter market. :D

funny-pictures-there-is-no-longer-clean-litter-in-the-box.jpg

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I think about justice I think about honesty, I think about truth.

Fairness is the opposite of deception.

I care about sincerity, I care about perceiving the most accurate reality.

I am a human being, human beings are fallible creatures, I know that life can be unsettling, that sometimes, the truth hurts, but every night I have to sleep with myself, and when push comes to shove all I really have is myself so to and with myself I'll stay and stand true.

The biggest travesty therefore would be me living a life separate from myself, and lies separate us, and secrets separate us, and honesty is the only glue that helps us connect to ourselves, to each other and to the world in which we live.

I fear detachment. I fear that gravitational pull to just be selfish. Life is not a competition, the realest conflict we have is internal, to understand ourselves in order to then be understood.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
trent reznor allusion, again
" there is no you, there is only me " - and the whole gamut of " Only " by NIN

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Wait a minute..

Detachment is a state in which a person overcomes his or her attachment to desire for things, people or concepts of the world and thus attains a heightened perspective. Detachment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the opposite of selfish.
Detachment for me would be suicide.

Detachment for me would be apathy, and with apathy I would cease to care about life, and a life unworthy of caring is meaningless and a meaningless life is crueler than death.

*shrugs*

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait a minute..

Detachment is a state in which a person overcomes his or her attachment to desire for things, people or concepts of the world and thus attains a heightened perspective. Detachment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's the opposite of selfish.

That's just being picky, and playing semantics.

5 dictionary results for: detachment

de·tach·ment /dɪˈtætʃmənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-tach-muhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the act of detaching.
2. the condition of being detached.
3. aloofness, as from worldly affairs or from the concerns of others.
4. freedom from prejudice or partiality.
5. the act of sending out a detached force of troops or naval ships.
6. the body of troops or ships so detached.
[Origin: 1660–70; < F détachement. See detach, -ment]

—Synonyms 3. coolness, indifference, unconcern.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
de·tach·ment (dĭ-tāch'mənt) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. The act or process of disconnecting or detaching; separation.
2. The state of being separate or detached.
3. Indifference to or remoteness from the concerns of others; aloofness: preserved a chilly detachment in his relations with the family.
4. Absence of prejudice or bias; disinterest: strove to maintain her professional detachment in the case.
1. The dispatch of a military unit, such as troops or ships, from a larger body for a special duty or mission.
2. The unit so dispatched.
3. A permanent unit, usually smaller than a platoon, organized for special duties.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

noun
1. avoiding emotional involvement [syn: withdrawal]
2. the act of releasing from an attachment or connection
3. the state of being isolated or detached; "the insulation of England was preserved by the English Channel" [syn: insulation]
4. a small unit of troops of special composition
5. coming apart [syn: separation]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
C
American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

detachment de·tach·ment (dĭ-tāch'mənt)
n.

3. Indifference to or remoteness from the concerns of others; aloofness.
4. Absence of prejudice or bias; disinterest.

1. The act of detaching or separating, or the state of being detached.

2. That which is detached; especially, a body of troops or part of a fleet sent from the main body on special service.

Troops . . . widely scattered in little detachments. --Bancroft.

3. Abstraction from worldly objects; renunciation.

A trial which would have demanded of him a most heroic faith and the detachment of a saint. --J. H. Newman.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Copyright © 2008, Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.

Take your pick of definitions. I think you'll find the word can be used to apply to selfish behaviour, or unselfish behaviour.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
That's just being picky, and playing semantics.

5 dictionary results for: detachment

de·tach·ment /dɪˈtætʃmənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-tach-muhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the act of detaching.
2. the condition of being detached.
3. aloofness, as from worldly affairs or from the concerns of others.
5. the act of sending out a detached force of troops or naval ships.
6. the body of troops or ships so detached.
[Origin: 1660–70; < F détachement. See detach, -ment]

—Synonyms 3. coolness, indifference, unconcern.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
de·tach·ment (dĭ-tāch'mənt) Pronunciation Key
n.

3. Indifference to or remoteness from the concerns of others; aloofness: preserved a chilly detachment in his relations with the family.
4. Absence of prejudice or bias; disinterest: strove to maintain her professional detachment in the case.
1. The dispatch of a military unit, such as troops or ships, from a larger body for a special duty or mission.
2. The unit so dispatched.
3. A permanent unit, usually smaller than a platoon, organized for special duties.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

noun
1. avoiding emotional involvement [syn: withdrawal]
2. the act of releasing from an attachment or connection
3. the state of being isolated or detached; "the insulation of England was preserved by the English Channel" [syn: insulation]
4. a small unit of troops of special composition
5. coming apart [syn: separation]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.
C
American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This

detachment de·tach·ment (dĭ-tāch'mənt)
n.

3. Indifference to or remoteness from the concerns of others; aloofness.
4. Absence of prejudice or bias; disinterest.

1. The act of detaching or separating, or the state of being detached.

2. That which is detached; especially, a body of troops or part of a fleet sent from the main body on special service.

Troops . . . widely scattered in little detachments. --Bancroft.

3. Abstraction from worldly objects; renunciation.

A trial which would have demanded of him a most heroic faith and the detachment of a saint. --J. H. Newman.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Copyright © 2008, Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.

Take your pick of definitions.

How does any of that speak to the issue of whether or not detachment is selfish?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Detachment for me would be apathy, and with apathy I would cease to care about life, and a life unworthy of caring is meaningless and a meaningless life is crueler than death.

*shrugs*
This is natural for an ENFP, and don't let anyone ever tell you there's anything wrong with it. This specifically. ;)

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

*shrugs*

It was a little while ago when I realized that if people took everything away from me, I wouldn't care.

I could put up a fight. But what's the difference. You have your values validated and your treasures. Or you don't.
You're happy. Or you're not. Feelings are fleeting. You can be in a state in your life- you could have a career that disagrees with your core. But then again you could be detatched.

I'm an 8 with a strong 9 wing.

Am I dead?

I was struggling with this a while ago...it saddened me. Your post made me remember it again. I don't know why I shoved this thought aside, I don't remember resolving it.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was merely pointing out the word, detachment can infer, both states.
The below meaning could infer selfishness
This meaning could infer selflessness,

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is natural for an ENFP, and don't let anyone ever tell you there's anything wrong with it. This specifically. ;)
I won't, and thank you. :)

It was a little while ago when I realized that if people took everything away from me, I wouldn't care.

I could put up a fight. But what's the difference. You have your values validated and your treasures. Or you don't.
You're happy. Or you're not. Feelings are fleeting. You can be in a state in your life- you could have a career that disagrees with your core. But then again you could be detatched.

I'm an 8 with a strong 9 wing.

Am I dead?

I was struggling with this a while ago...it saddened me. Your post made me remember it again. I don't know why I shoved this thought aside, I don't remember resolving it.
Hmm, emotions are fleeting, and most things in life are transient, including life itself, but, there is history and I hate this word, so please strip it of its egotistical connotation, but there is also legacy. What you do today with your life, will have consequences that will directly affect the future.

May I ask you, what do you love?

What inspires you, makes you feel alive, and well, happy?

When push comes to shove, what do *you* think really matters about life, whether it be about your life specifically, or life in general?

What do you care about?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just reacted to what I felt was an attack on a personal characteristic.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, and gah,

Lol, YOU ARE NOT DEAD!!!

You are very much alive!!! (Though you may, ironically, *feel* dead, feeling dead sucks, I know from personal experience.)

:yes: