User Tag List

First 29373839404149 Last

Results 381 to 390 of 650

  1. #381
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post

    I think we can all agree on this:

    Happiness doesn't exist.

    You cannot go to a part of the brain and say: "There! Thats some Happiness! He/She's got a whole lot of it! Must be a happy person."

    Neither does Happiness nor Sadness exist.



    Sometimes it's useful to talk about happiness, just like sometimes it's useful to talk about Fi. Your point is completely irrelevent to the discussion, which is ABOUT Fi.
    Your analogy is inapplicable because Happiness can be described as both an abstract and a 'physical thing', there are many pleasure chemicals in the brain which are associated with happiness as one of their functions. We know not of a 'physical thing' which defines cognitive functions.

    Yes we can talk about the abstract concept of Fi, but why waste the energy on all this negative shit people are posting about an imaginary thing when it can be a positive discussion about an imaginary thing?

  2. #382
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Your analogy is inapplicable because Happiness can be described as both an abstract and a 'physical thing', there are many pleasure chemicals in the brain which are associated with happiness as one of their functions. We know not of a 'physical thing' which defines cognitive functions.
    Certain types of pain cannot be identified as physical/physical processes. That is why insurance companies won't pay for treatement for people with fibromyalgia. The pain is real, though.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  3. #383
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Your analogy is inapplicable because Happiness can be described as both an abstract and a 'physical thing', there are many pleasure chemicals in the brain which are associated with happiness as one of their functions. We know not of a 'physical thing' which defines cognitive functions.
    Fine, as Orangey is pointing out, use Pain instead in that argument. Just because we don't happen to know the specifics of the brain implementation level of the system doesn't mean the concept isn't valid.

    Why wouldn't there be a physical implementation of cognitive functions? Cognition is certainly physically instantiated.

    Yes we can talk about the abstract concept of Fi, but why waste the energy on all this negative shit people are posting about an imaginary thing when it can be a positive discussion about an imaginary thing?
    "Imaginary thing" can be applied to so much of what we talk about that it's worthless to even say.

  4. #384
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Certain types of pain cannot be identified as physical/physical processes. That is why insurance companies won't pay for treatement for people with fibromyalgia. The pain is real, though.
    Pain is interesting because there are just oh so many kinds, and manifestations of it.

    When defining/diagnosing pain, one must identify both its severity as well as its type.

    There is love sickness, there is despair, there is frustration, there is throbbing pain, searing pain, numbing pain, agony, just to name a limited few.

    But pain still exists in all its myriad manifestations.

    When dealing with umbrella terms such as Pain, Love, and to a lesser extent Fi it is unfair to discredit their validly existing just because they happen to represent highly complex, and variable behaviors.

    <---- I thought this dude was Amish, but I was wrong, he is a Hasidic Jew!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  5. #385
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Fine, as Orangey is pointing out, use Pain instead in that argument. Just because we don't happen to know the specifics of the brain implementation level of the system doesn't mean the concept isn't valid.
    If it was valid it would be able to offer precise predictability even if the causes were not defined.

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    Why wouldn't there be a physical implementation of cognitive functions? Cognition is certainly physically instantiated.
    There probably is, but it would be a complex, changing network, where dominance between certain networkings could and would change day by day. There would be very little predictability in reality. What typology does it tries to strictly define these networkings in order for you, in essence making it more predictable. Also, whos to say that there aren't other definable functions that mbti does not cover? There could be many: Ri Re, Wi We, things like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    "Imaginary thing" can be applied to so much of what we talk about that it's worthless to even say.
    Meh, that was more directed at the idea that it is a pseudoscience.

  6. #386
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    If it was valid it would be able to offer precise predictability even if the causes were not defined.
    What do you mean?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  7. #387
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    What do you mean?
    If the description of Fi's function in the brain was correct, yet we did not know what chemically caused it in the brain, we would still be able to predict someone's behavior in a given scenario where Fi would be used. Yet the true description of Fi is too vague and is applicable to almost anyone at a given time, so we cannot accurately predict future behavior using the Fi decription, it can become almost anything the subjective mind (everyone has a subjective mind) wishes to think of it.

    That make any sense?

  8. #388
    Senior Member Simplexity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    No how about you read up on what psychology is. Matter of fact do yourself a favor and look at Blackmail!'s excellent arguments against bluewing, because clearly you don't know what the flying fuck you're talking about.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

  9. #389
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Your new toughguy act is really impressive, Aimahn.

  10. #390
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    No how about you read up on what psychology is. Matter of fact do yourself a favor and look at Blackmail!'s excellent arguments against bluewing, because clearly you don't know what the flying fuck you're talking about.
    What?

Similar Threads

  1. "It's only people's games you got to dodge" -Dylan
    By rfossr in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-28-2014, 02:09 PM
  2. A re-introduction even though it is said you only get one.
    By Serendipity in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-18-2014, 08:51 PM
  3. If you don't get, then you don't get it
    By proteanmix in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
  4. Organization, how do you get it done? (Ps welcome)
    By raz in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO