• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Are people drawn to us NF's when they need emotion??

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It's great to be the martyr and help the ills of the world, but not so you can make the same mistake again. I'm starting to see how God feels about unrepentant sinners. Society has made us believe in instant intimacy, that only good feelings are involved. Instant intimacy only hurts them since it doesn't fill the entire void. Intimacy is about getting close, being hurt, and still loving them and persevering. It's other-person focused, not being self-centered and about ourselves, but with an open heart that can stand the pain just to be closer. That's what makes us so vital is our preference to have an open heart to others. Sorry If this is preachy or too deep, probably wrong topic for this.

No, it's good, and true.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
It's great to be the martyr and help the ills of the world, but not so you can make the same mistake again. I'm starting to see how God feels about unrepentant sinners. Society has made us believe in instant intimacy, that only good feelings are involved. Instant intimacy only hurts them since it doesn't fill the entire void. Intimacy is about getting close, being hurt, and still loving them and persevering. It's other-person focused, not being self-centered and about ourselves, but with an open heart that can stand the pain just to be closer. That's what makes us so vital is our preference to have an open heart to others. Sorry If this is preachy or too deep, probably wrong topic for this.

Love it! This is kinda what's been on my mind lately and now I have the word -- INTIMACY! -- exactly. Hope you don't mind, I'm gonna make a new thread about this in relationships and use part of your quote to jumpstart it.

You're right, the question of the true nature of intimacy and nature of a good relationship IS deep. ;) And deserving of it's own topic.

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Great stuff people....thank you

I know I radiate charisma...but I'm NOT trying....and at times, I don't even WANT the attention.....sometimes I think I'm closer to an "I" then a "E"

I have major resentment issues ....as some have mentioned here....with how I help people...but never seem to get it in return.

It is incredibly frustrating and keeping me in and out of relationships.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Desperado said:
Its strange, I can walk into a room and the most vulnerable person in the room will somehow find me. This is especially true of women......and I tend to be VERY attracted to them....

Its unhealthy.....

With you being an extrovert, I can see how vulnerable/hurting women would be drawn to you.

Can't say with myself that I draw those types towards me - rather, in the past, I tended to be attracted to them...so it kinda all fell on me.

I agree it's an unhealthy pattern - in the sense that you cannot forge an actual loving, mutually fulfilling relationship when one of the parties is, well, unavailable. But I'll tell you why I was attracted to them: it's because when people are hurting like that, it's like you can connect deeply almost instantaneously. You're that much closer to the window of their soul, such as it is. More raw, more 'Real', in a sense. That's why I was attracted. However, it was somewhat deceptive, in that like czecze was saying, all of it was based on a more a platonic level -- because they weren't in a position to really give of themselves, you know? So it was more just a connection as human beings -- not relationship material, when it was all said and done. Easy in those beginning stages though to deceive yourself that the human/emotional connection is love, though. And perhaps on some level it was. But not in the longterm relationship sense.

The irony is once this dynamic is set up, it can (and usually?) totally backfires for you. The romantic partnership and connection can't really grow because you set up a pattern of basically supporting/making them feel good and this is your function. You're not so much an actual romantic partner. Basically the whole 'ego repair' thing Casc. mentions.

So you're giving and giving, thinking this person is really into you and wants to be with you, but really they just need something you offer and something that other people could offer. You just happen to be good timing or do it better.

Does that make sense?

Yep, totally. This has been my experience. And it's not like I wasn't into the relationship, or I should say, *potential* relationship, at the start. Because I was.

But I'd realize eventually that they weren't really into ME at all -- they liked how I made them feel. Could have been anyone else out there as well, who could have fulfilled the same role - so the fact that it was me in particular didn't matter a whole lot. They just needed someone like me, at that time. So, once I would realize that, I'd end the 'relationship'.

What further complicates it is that even when you don't love someone or aren't in love with them or even attracted to them, you can truly care about them or develop attachment or a sense of intimacy.

Yep.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
:hug: I feel you, been there, done that, wearing the T shirt as I type lol.

It sucks when people do that to you.

Thanks! :hug: Sorry to hear about you as well. I guess it is possible to be too nice.

But I'd realize eventually that they weren't really into ME at all -- they liked how I made them feel. Could have been anyone else out there as well, who could have fulfilled the same role - so the fact that it was me in particular didn't matter a whole lot. They just needed someone like me, at that time. So, once I would realize that, I'd end the 'relationship'.

Yep that is the reality of the whole thing and it sucks pretty bad to know that is how much you only mattered. Its kind of weird really, they come to you with all these emotinal issues and at the end of it all, it's you that ends up with emotinal issues (recentment in this case) while they go back to being "normal". Ironic really.

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Spooky. This describes my experiences to a "T"

With you being an extrovert, I can see how vulnerable/hurting women would be drawn to you.

I agree it's an unhealthy pattern - in the sense that you cannot forge an actual loving, mutually fulfilling relationship when one of the parties is, well, unavailable. But I'll tell you why I was attracted to them: it's because when people are hurting like that, it's like you can connect deeply almost instantaneously. You're that much closer to the window of their soul, such as it is. More raw, more 'Real', in a sense.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have people who come to when they want to whine- I try to give them advice but they mostly just want reassurance that they are 'good people'.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am currenty dealing with a serious issue.

I have the THIRD married woman in the past year pursuing me.....unhappy in her marriage....and this time its a buddy's wife....we've always been attracted to each other...and now she is coming on a like a freight train.

I don't get it. What do I put out there that makes these married women interested?

Is it the NF's emotional/passionate make up?? Are they drawn to that when they are feeling unhappy??

By the way, I have NOT pursued any of them....but I'm starting to get a complex.

Years ago, my mother actually blurted in the middle of dinner, "What the heck is this with you and unavailable men??"

I've never pursued married men. The very idea of it disgusts me. But it seemed like no matter what I did, I attracted them and I was really getting upset. Not only did I imagine some woman sitting at home potentially being emotionally/physically betrayed by this man (not with me!!!), but I also thought, "I deserve my own love. Not second-hand junk." It really made me an angry girl. Some of my friends began to ask if I oughta see a psychic and "clear my aura", that's how ridiculous it was getting.

You don't EVER want to be someone's rebound either, Desperado. It's all kinds of bad.

As to the attraction, I've had many of my NT friends - girls and guys - seek me out when they're in dire straits and need to be pulled out of the water. I can handle their feelings in those dark awful moments when they can't. Likewise, I go to them when I need the world to stop pounding on me.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I stopped being receptive and saw a drastic change within a week.

Just be sure not to take an "attitude" while you're turning off the faucet. Keep a smile on your face, and then when you ignore they're emotion needs they'll rightly think it's them, not you...

This is a very wise post. One problem with being very available to others is the (sometimes unspoken) expectation they'll be available to you. That may or may not be true and can lead to disappointment and resentment.

Needing to be needed is still a kind of neediness. I've found it's better to cultivate reciprocal friendships; being the person others always seek out when they need comforting is cold comfort for me.

Over the past few years I've realized I have a number of friends who only call when things aren't going well and they want to talk about it. But these folks don't seem to remember my challenges - eg, a close friend who knew I was out of work for almost a year but didn't write a single word of congratulations when I finally got a job. This is someone whose woes I've listened to for many hours. These one-way relationships get tiresome; these days I'm taking less care of others and better care of myself.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...I recently broke off a relationship because of this dynamic. I let it get too far. All relationships need a bit of give and take, but if you are doing all giving, then it's time to draw the line.
Luckily for me, it was as clean a break as I could make it. The funny thing was he persued me, and completely lost interest. And hung on. I didn't want to be the emotional safety blanket any more.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not me, I've got plenty of emotion already. I'm drawn to NFs when they have sparkly eyes, big boobs, a cute voice, and enjoy hugging me.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I imagine for a male F this must be true and especially frustrating that emotionally wounded females seek them out so much. (that's if he wants a deep relationship with a woman)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Yep, totally. This has been my experience. And it's not like I wasn't into the relationship, or I should say, *potential* relationship, at the start. Because I was.

XXX

XXX You still develop attachment even when you shouldn't and don't want to XXX

Yep.

Gawd, this kills me. Doesn't this kill you?

The first time you walk away (or get trampled on) it hurts, but once you take the first step to taking care of yourself and make yourself pull the plug on your addiction, it gets SO MUCH easier the next time to end things. And you can end things before they get too deep or not get involved at all.

Let's hear it for getting smart!!!

NF's can be very resilient. I think I have endurance. And considering my bad decision making skills, I need it. :siiiiiiigh:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I imagine for a male F this must be true and especially frustrating that emotionally wounded females seek them out so much. (that's if he wants a deep relationship with a woman)

yeah...i was going to say the same thing. i'm sure it happens all the time with a guy... but...i've never experienced that situation.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
When we want a relationship, it's usually with someone emotionally mature who at least can handle their emotions. We can deal with internal wounds when in a relationship, but emotionally hurt people can't open up to a new relationship.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah, I think that's the case. I was once the guru of my little circle of friends as a teenager. I didn't mind helping them out.