• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are all NFs masochists?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Didnt this thread die lie a billion years ago?
Quit with the mental self mutilation. I still like ya. So no need to get down on yourselves about the masochism thing. It's no big deal.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The world is what it is. And we are who we are. To lay a generality upon a whole... Well, it's truly not fair. We are each individuals and have our own experiences to draw from. Though, I shall beg pardon if it does seem like I am complaining. Rather, I would believe thinking this through. However, to each their own.

There's a lot that any one of us cannot do because we are but a single person. In general, complaining doesn't help. Though, if done constructively, it can help to relieve stress. And, with the right minds put together, there may be a chance that the complaining may be turned into ideas that one might be able to implement on a personal level. One step at a time. And what does this "something" that we've done have to be? :) Anything? Then what of simply changing a negative energy into something positive? Less stress right there. To each their own on how they go about it.

In my mind, and I could easily be wrong... :) However, in my mind, there's not too much room, if any, in which to judge. We've each been guilty of complaints at one point in time or another. There's something that we each view that could be better. At least those that I've talked to have given me this impression. And if there are those that do not wish to actually do something about what they're complaining about- and I wouldn't type that to only one type- then that is their problem. The best that can be done is to ignore it and carry on. We can only deal with ourselves. We are not the saviors of our fellow man. However, this has only been my rant in question. Thank you.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Personally, I just like to complain. I'm notorious about being able to find something good in any situation, but that was something I consciously developed. My complaining skills are natural. If I didn't have anything to complain about I just wouldn't be happy. I am definitely one of those people that would complain about winning the lottery. So generally it's best not to take my complaining too seriously.

If I'm complaining, I'm either letting off steam or trying to work out a solution while I talk or maybe trying to figure out if I'm being unreasonable (sometimes I am). I do act when I'm ready. If wanting to do right by people even if it makes me uncomfortable is masochism, then I guess I am. If I complain while I go an extra mile, well, what can I say? I'm human. Sometimes even if someone is your brother they still get heavy. That doesn't mean you drop them.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I never complain. I never whine. My parents raised me not to. Once you start taking responsibility for yourself you start taking responsibility for others.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
No. I'm typically not a complainer..and it may be because of my type, or it may be the way I am being raised. My father has little tolerance for complaining, because we a spiritually strong family and can get through any struggle this world can offer, which leads to the little complaining, if any, that I carry out.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Didnt this thread die lie a billion years ago?
Quit with the mental self mutilation. I still like ya. So no need to get down on yourselves about the masochism thing. It's no big deal.

I hate you. Dorito?

Masochism: your avatar + my framed picture of Ice Man - the harsh reality that Val is no longer the most beautiful man alive = the sadness. I stare and I weep. :cry:

Me, age 16:
[setting Ice Man on my bureau]
Bff Shorty: [standing next to me]
[silence]
Shorty: [solemnly laying picture flat] He's just too beautiful. I can't look at him anymore.
Me: [small tear] Indeed.

Last edited:

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Difference between Tee and Eff.

Tee. Lets talk about this and get it settled for once and for all.

Eff: Ok. Now. Let's talk about it from THIS angle. Then THIS angle. . .

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I just like to complain. I'm notorious about being able to find something good in any situation, but that was something I consciously developed. My complaining skills are natural. If I didn't have anything to complain about I just wouldn't be happy.

If I'm complaining, I'm either letting off steam or trying to work out a solution while I talk or maybe trying to figure out if I'm being unreasonable (sometimes I am). I do act when I'm ready.

Ditto. I wonder if this liking to complain is just an INFJ thing and not an NF thing? Actually, I think a better word for what I do is "critique" and not "complain."

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes to the OP. I'm addicted to emotions, both good and bad. I would never wanna surpress them or ignore 'em, no matter how much of a wreck they turn me into. I enjoy the highs and lows, sometimes too much. Makes me feel alive :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yes. That's probably why I think myself NF sometimes - because I dont shun or avoid them, I surf on them.

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
< this guy is :]
just made this discovery this past summer when i was ecstatic to have multiple oral surgeries, and this past week when i had to get flu shots. i was stoked on it. along with it being sort of a masochistic trait it could also just be a semi-fascination of surgical stuff.
i wouldnt say that all 'nf' types would be, as it is characteristic of them to take things hard on themselves, i wouldnt say that that is necessarily masochistic.