• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] lots of ideas without any action = ZERO

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
...but then why there're still soo many of us NPs who still doing it?
instead of thinking, focusing hard and actually materializing & actualizing the ideas & creativity in their head, we usually got lazy to even think about "doing it" ? although we know that "doing it" is what's matter in this practical world??
that it's just useless to have tons of ideas in our head, if we don't play by "rules" in this "action-oriented" world, instead of "ideas-oriented" world that we've all idealized , but why we still kept doing these rather 'useless' things? ...or is there really some 'usefullness' (even some kind of pride) for kept procrastinating & not realizing/materializing/actualizing those tons of ideas & creativity in our head?
why not show it to the world (instead of only keeping it to ourselves) ? ...because we think the world is obnoxious, and wouldn't understand, even accept our ideas anyway, and would think of our ideas as crazy, or belittle them?
or are we just being selfish by thinking we're the smartest?..

why do we (or MANY of us) keep doing this (ie: delaying or not putting any action to all our ideas/thoughts/creativity) and so damn hard to shake it off our shoulder, even after we know of its mostly bad consequences?
what's the remedy for curing this 'bad' traits of ours?
let's discuss..

wolfy

awsm
I'm ISFP but I've been thinking the same thing. For a long time.

I think it's the friction in making ideas real that kills your momentum.
Let me use a war analogy.
Friction in War
Everything is very simple in war, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen war.... So in war, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark. A powerful iron will overcomes this friction; it crushes the obstacles, but certainly the machine along with them. We shall often meet with this result. Like an obelisk towards which the principal streets of a town converge, the strong will of a proud spirit stands prominent and commanding in the middle of the art of war.

Replace the word war with life and I think you have the reason.
The war of art.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
because the ideas itself are the most interesting things. i think we all like the 'brain-exercise' without really noticing it.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
...but then why there're still soo many of us NPs who still doing it?
instead of thinking, focusing hard and actually materializing & actualizing the ideas & creativity in their head, we usually got lazy to even think about "doing it" ? although we know that "doing it" is what's matter in this practical world??
that it's just useless to have tons of ideas in our head, if we don't play by "rules" in this "action-oriented" world, instead of "ideas-oriented" world that we've all idealized , but why we still kept doing these rather 'useless' things? ...or is there really some 'usefullness' (even some kind of pride) for kept procrastinating & not realizing/materializing/actualizing those tons of ideas & creativity in our head?
why not show it to the world (instead of only keeping it to ourselves) ? ...because we think the world is obnoxious, and wouldn't understand, even accept our ideas anyway, and would think of our ideas as crazy, or belittle them?

why do we (or MANY of us) keep doing this (ie: delaying or not putting any action to all our ideas/thoughts/creativity) and so damn hard to shake it off our shoulder, even after we know of its mostly bad consequences?
let's discuss..
as far as i go, the reason i sometimes dont act out my ideas is just because i enjoy building and idea up more then actually executing it. thinking of ideas is my hobbie. not executing them. the only ideas i actually execute are extremely good ones. i also dont like to carry out ideas because they are constantly changing. and to execute it and then realize, wow, i have an even better idea really really sux. ill use my car for example. until recently i haven't been doing much to my car because i had so many ideas that all would be awsome, i just couldn't decide what to do. eventually i had to just buckle down with a notepad in front of me, write em all down, and see which ones worked the best. then i had to force myself to just pick the best for each part of my car so they all worked together smoothly as a system. i wish i had an IN(S)TJ clone of myself. then things would actually get done lol

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
because the ideas itself are the most interesting things. i think we all like the 'brain-exercise' without really noticing it.

but how would you apply that once you're in the adult-working world, especially? isn't it almost impossible to stay survive in this practical adult-world, when you just keep coming up with brilliant ideas, yet NO single practical, actual work in any of those brilliant ideas?

what i've found is even worse: you let other people controlling your life & situations, even though you don't like it. it's because we lack follow-through in our ideas, and NOTHING gets materialized...so, other people don't see any result from you, and thus kept thinking it's 'okay' to control your life & situations.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
...but then why there're still soo many of us NFPs who still doing it?

let's discuss..

(btw i've posted this also in MBTI, Ennegram sub-forum. but since the amount of replies is still very little, i've thought perhaps by posting here it would generate more interests & replies from people here. well you can answer in either sub-forum, though, just wherever you are in. i hope the Mods here is okay with this)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
When this happens to me the reason is that my thoughts don't, as a rule, generate action. It is my feelings/needs and wants which generate activity.

The thoughts tend to come in process of doing. As a result my actions appear scattered sometimes to others. I get to the desired result but the means I take appears random to others.

If this is true for others, then considering that some of us are lazy and just don't want to DO, the end result never appears because there are so many distractions.

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
or are we just being selfish by thinking we're the smartest?

Yes.

Now my continued thoughts: We don't put our plans into action because we can't stand the tedious repetitive work needed to do so. We get bored halfway through and say, "fuck it" and move on.

completely unrelated, but this is my 420th post. :D

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I think people in general like having other people give them direction and leadership, rather than giving themselves the direction and leadership to accomplish their own ideas. It takes a lot of strength and endurance to stick to something with full dedication without neccesarily having other people to rely on/outsource/ect. Having a lot of ideas isn't the same as knowing your motivation and direction, and without those things, acting on your ideas isn't easy or even smart.

I don't even think of things as rules and the world as being action oriented. That kind of crushed me, cause it made me feel stuck and out of place. Like I was malfunctioning and wouldn't work in this setting. I try to look at it as a system, a bunch of systems, like mechanics, and if you understand them and move within their limits and their posibilities you can actually do more than you thought. I've only been playing with that idea for a few months now but it's been helping a lot so far, even in small things like having a calm state of mind. It's not that it's an action oriented world, but that it is a physical world, a material world, in that for something to really be there, it has to be done or accomplished, it has to be put to use somehow.

For me at least, everything else was justification of why I felt like shit because I wasn't doing anything with my time. I don't fit within the rules. I don't have the right personality for what I'm expected to do. It was really because I wasn't realizing what I saw/heard in my head because I was lazy or afraid or unsure.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think of many ideas right now because I'm busy with life.
Maybe that's more of an NFP thing.

I like learning things I don't have to apply.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Not everything I have to do has to necessarily have practical value- at least that is my rationalization.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
...but then why there're still soo many of us NFPs who still doing it?

Probably the same reason STJs refuse to pamper themselves or put much emphasis on emotional introspection.. its just not our strengths.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
(btw i've posted this also in MBTI, Ennegram sub-forum. but since the amount of replies is still very little, i've thought perhaps by posting here it would generate more interests & replies from people here. well you can answer in either sub-forum, though, just wherever you are in. i hope the Mods here is okay with this)

It's because it's Sunday morning/noon. I'm going to merge this with the other thread. You can bump it tomorrow and I'm sure you'll get a better response. But I will not I repeat will NOT tolerate duplicate posts. I will not tolerate duplicate posts.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
At a subconscious level I think it might be something to do with knowing that life (since it's finite) might be better spent not working. Think about it - why risk a perfectly good idea on paper by trying to make it happen when there's a big chance you might fail??

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Have a look at the NP impact factor historically though. We are not the most common type either but history without us is almost unthinkable.

John Lennon
Albert Einstein
Nikola Tesla
Thomas Eddison
William Shakespeare
Leonardo Di Vinci
Sir Issac Newton
Richard Feinman

These days a lot of NPs get misdiagnosed with ADHD and drugged up to be normals. Which sucks.

On the topic of not doing anything with it as an INFP. I'd say you do lots with it. You don't have a trophy on your shelf to show for it, but these ideas shape you and hence those around you. They filter out into society and have an impact. NFPs change the course of a lot without even realising it.

Last edited: