User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default NF Ideals vs. SJ Values

So we often hear Ideals associated with NFs, that they hold their beliefs above most other things in life (within reason). And we hear that SJs hold their values above most other things in life (within reason). Then what's the difference, besides semantics?

Is it solely in how they arrive at their ideals/values? That SJs usually derive their beliefs from others' around them, especially since we hear these mentioned with "traditions", and hold & cherish those; whereas NFs usually find beliefs on their own, rather than from outside sources, and hold & cherish those? I don't even think these observations hold true for SJs and NFs as I've outlined them here... But I'm asking, what could it be?

Main question: What's the difference?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-25-2008 at 01:50 PM. Reason: traditions
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFP

For my ISTJ husband and I the main difference I see is that his values are about material things, time, and money. And mine are more about intangibles like loyalty, honesty, stuff like that.

When it works we manage to cover all the bases. When it doesn't we can really clash about what's important.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I don't know where you draw the line - that's a good question. According to the definition Anja gave, I think I have a lot of both.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

abstract ideals vs. concrete values ?

I think I have both as well. Unless you could tie in what I would consider my "abstract" values with concrete things & objectives. Or something...

Edit: If the dichotomy is abstract vs. concrete, maybe we could ask it this way. Which beliefs (abs. or conc.) would each type sooner sacrifice? You know, when you're caught in a tough spot. Would that help root out the difference and make it more clear?
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-25-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: idea

MBTI
    infj

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    For my ISTJ husband and I the main difference I see is that his values are about material things, time, and money. And mine are more about intangibles like loyalty, honesty, stuff like that.
    You said this perfectly. Both are about how to live, I think, but for the ISTJ
    it's far more concrete. And for us it is very abstract.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Ideals vs. Rules, maybe? Off the top 'o' me head.

MBTI
    infj

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    abstract ideals vs. concrete values ?

I think I have both as well. Unless you could tie in what I would consider my "abstract" values with concrete things & objectives. Or something...

Edit: If the dichotomy is abstract vs. concrete, maybe we could ask it this way. Which beliefs (abs. or conc.) would each type sooner sacrifice? You know, when you're caught in a tough spot. Would that help root out the difference and make it more clear?
    I swear I had not read your post yet when I replied initially to first post.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think it was a key feature in the ending of the recent relationship I had with an ISTJ. But he may have been overly addicted to his job.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I don't really understand the ISTJ and tradition thing. I don't think I really relate.

Also about about what Anja said: Right about time and money, but I think certain intangibles, especially the ones you mentioned (honesty and loyalty) are very important to us. Aren't ISTJ's especially freaky about loyalty, for example?
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ENFP

I think everyone has both, everyone has a set of values, and everyone has a set of beliefs.

My value system has alot to do with my religion so you could say I am more SJ like that.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

True, Bella, since our T usually wins the T vs. F battle, we ISTJs don't put much stock in traditions that have outlasted their usefulness. That seems to be the trend with us.

But of course I'm talking about all SJs. Something's still not fitting, here.

AngryAyrab, that's why I said this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Which beliefs (abs. or conc.) would each type sooner sacrifice? You know, when you're caught in a tough spot.