• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Ni...Is it Always right?

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've been paying attention lately to how often (every second) I use my Extraverted-iNtuition function. And I notice that in almost everything someone says or everything that happens there is this background question that kind of banners everything..."What Does This Mean?" I've read lots of things that say this function is almost psychic when it comes to knowing the motivations, thoughts, and feelings or other people.

And I'd like to know from others with this function, particulary other ENFPs, if you have noticed that what you instinctively know normally turns out right. It can be pretty alarming to me sometimes the things I derive from simple phrases or events, so that I am now sometime second guessing it. I'm thinking "this person said NOTHING about this so how did I arrive at this conclusion?"

How often do you trust it? Is it usually RIGHT?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Apparently it is occasionally wrong. Or no, maybe not. I'm not sure here, this is a tough one. ENFP, you say? Introverted intuition, you say? I'm at a loss.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Ne is what enfps have as dominant...not ni

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
It's usually right if used well.

You know, like all the other functions.

The strange thing about Ni is that even if it's not absolutely correct, a lot of times it works out because it's right for 'all intents and purposes'. This is usually how it works. Dominant introverted judgers get mad about that.

(ENFPs have dominant Ne but usually have okay Ni)

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh please fucking tell me this is a joke of a question.

No. The unequivocal answer is no it is not always right.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah I meant To say Ne..it was 5am....

no its not a joke if you don't want to answer then don't. I assume that as this is a message board I'm allowed to ask what I want and that you are not obligated to answer.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I think calling it "right" is contingent on what kind of judgment you're applying against it. Intuition is used by us as a form of content in the brain--a form of information. It's possible that this information is inaccurate at times but that's also a loaded statement. To consider something "right" you need some form of judgment function applied with it. That judgment can be faulty, or biased in a way that is generally considered "wrong." So I'd say, for the original question, NO. It's not always right.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Theoretically, does Ne come to conclusions and Fi judge the conclusions?

Or does Ne merely gather information and Fi come to conclusions and make judgments? (Therefore rendering it impossible for Ne to be right or wrong.)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah I meant To say Ne..it was 5am....

no its not a joke if you don't want to answer then don't. I assume that as this is a message board I'm allowed to ask what I want and that you are not obligated to answer.
I think what the replies are getting at is that no brain function is always right in its assessments. You could make it more vague by saying "It is close to correct, most of the time." The bottom line, though, is that humans can always make errors.

Ne and Ni work a little differently... though I guess your question can still more or less apply.

Edit: Good posts above me! :)

Last edited:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been paying attention lately to how often (every second) I use my Extraverted-iNtuition function. And I notice that in almost everything someone says or everything that happens there is this background question that kind of banners everything..."What Does This Mean?" I've read lots of things that say this function is almost psychic when it comes to knowing the motivations, thoughts, and feelings or other people.

And I'd like to know from others with this function, particulary other ENFPs, if you have noticed that what you instinctively know normally turns out right. It can be pretty alarming to me sometimes the things I derive from simple phrases or events, so that I am now sometime second guessing it. I'm thinking "this person said NOTHING about this so how did I arrive at this conclusion?"

How often do you trust it? Is it usually RIGHT?

Re title: No.

"Is it usually RIGHT?" Disturbingly, yes.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've read lots of things that say this function is almost psychic when it comes to knowing the motivations, thoughts, and feelings or other people.
That's only true with a strong F to accompany the intuition. Without F, intuition usually just leads to a buncha weak attempts at reading other people (I find that my INTJ dad is a good example of what those look like).

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
That's only true with a strong F to accompany the intuition. Without F, intuition usually just leads to a buncha weak attempts at reading other people (I find that my INTJ dad is a good example of what those look like).
Totally agreed.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Wait.. I initially disregarded whole the title of the question.:doh: Always right? Nah.

When I read the paragraph- 'usually'- yes. That's what I meant.

Sometimes I get really strong random hunches about people or situations that I ignore/just go with the flow with.. then I'm thoroughly surprised as to how accurate those hunches were- not that they were good or bad- it just told me something about the person or the situation that seemed irrelevant in the begining. if ya get what I'm saaying.. ;P

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I apologize to everyone for saying Ni and ALWAYS in the title. tried to change it but i can't...anyway. Thank you everyone for sharing your answers. Obviously, it (Ne) can't be right all the time without concrete evidence, I understand that. My question was more to ENFPs about what types of things they are able to pick up on, and in your experience do these instincts usually turn out to be correctly judged. In my experience, my "hunches" are normally right especially in friendships and relationships. I do not act upon every instinct or feeling but when I have I've been right. That's it all I was saying.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i wouldnt even say it is usually "right", outside of subjective truths and self-fulfilling prophecy

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i'll say it is usually right. i don't know what it is as i don't consciously think through all the signs or steps to get to my conclusion. my brain just makes links without me realizing it and shockingly, it is really quite accurate. people think that my thoughts are unconnected and random and they wonder how i got it right. they are not random. i think Ne allows people to collect a lot of signs together and make an inference to the best solution (i made a thread about this, but no one really got it). it does make it hard to communicate with some people sometimes though, as they think you're making unjustified leaps. joke's on them ;).

MBTI Type
ENTP
The distinguishing thing about Ni isn't that it's right or wrong. It's a way of perceiving. The confidence INTJs or INFJs get is from their preferred method of extraverting judgment.

edit: ok after seeing that the OP made a mistake....my post still stands. Ne is also perception.

A sensor and an intuitive can look at the same thing but notice different things about it. Neither of them are wrong or right until they make a claim.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
The distinguishing thing about Ni isn't that it's right or wrong. It's a way of perceiving. The confidence INTJs or INFJs get is from their preferred method of extraverting judgment.

Pay attention, folks.