• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Looking Too Much Into Things

Chopsifer

MBTI Type
INFj
I find that often I am looking too much into things, is this common for an INFJ?
I find that I'm always jumping to huge conclusions about certain actions and being a sensitive person, I find myself sometimes being hurt by comments that might actually have been meant as honest advice/harmless criticism.

A couple of my closest friends lately have even stated annoyance with me about this, "You think too much" seems to be a commonly used phrase to describe it. I mean... I do have a natural curiosity of exploring different possible view points or different ways that a particular action could effect something, but does this make me socially awkward? Does this make me hopelessly neurotic?

I'm not really one to go to the message boards for help or advice, I like to solve problems on my own, but this is one I've been internally struggling with for quite some time now.

That being said, any advice put forward will be sincerely appreciated. Even if it is a question for me to think about that might help lead me in the direction of an answer, I would be eternally grateful.

Namaste

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have said that to people who constantly verbalize their wonderings of the obvious or the unknowable, because it can bore me. I do love a little interesting theory, however.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
reading too much into things? what are u trying to say? am i that paranoid? is that just what you want to make me feel?

no it's not just an INFJ thing, it's an NF thing. i over-think everything, but honestly, that's how i like it now. i wonder how people can go through life without asking so many questions. it's made me who i am.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I am being bombed with unnecessary social/communication-related questions by an overanalyzing INFJ right now.

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't, but then again, I almost always end up being right, so whatever.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
sometimes, I'll take a small concept, and magnify and think of all of the outcomes, or results...the good and the bad..and strive off of it..

I also find that I look wayyyyyy too far into dreams..I'll have one, one night, and then it will be running through my head all the next day..and I'll be thinking of all of the things that it could mean..it gets a little much sometimes..

lane777

nevermore
sometimes, I'll take a small concept, and magnify and think of all of the outcomes, or results...the good and the bad..and strive off of it..

I also find that I look wayyyyyy too far into dreams..I'll have one, one night, and then it will be running through my head all the next day..and I'll be thinking of all of the things that it could mean..it gets a little much sometimes..

Everything you just said: ME TOO:shocking:

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't even measure how much I read in, change, magnify, or elaborate on things anymore. I've gotten too crazy and don't even care to explain to others how I came to those conclusions. At the very least it makes for interesting conversations, and when you're right it makes you look sort of prophetic.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
My parents often tell me I overanalyze waay too much. I guess it started when I first learned how to ask, "Why?" Why this. Why that.

My mother even told me I asked too many questions for a kid. I still remember.. her frustrations.. poor mommy.

GinKuusouka

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree completely. To everything. I often ask a lot of questions, just in general. I've been told that I think too much. Hmmm... Is it true? Or is it that I just process things differently and come around to an answer- if that happens- through a different process? :D It's a thought. As stated before, pondering and thinking in this way has played a part in creating who I am. And I rather enjoy that person. ;)

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
:unsure: Hmm...I'm not certain if I read too much into things. Though I can get to a point where I over think about problems and outcomes and all possible results [when it would be far better to just follow my intuition on things because 99% of the time, my intuition is correct ...but me an my N have trust issues with each other it seems :shock: ]. So, alright, perhaps I do have a tendency to sometimes read into things too much. Though it is something I've conditioned myself not to do very often. I used to be incredibly embarrassed when my mother would jump to conclusions and fly off the handle at someone before she even understood everything [I would completely love to learn what her type is, seriously...it might help explain a LOT].

...where was I going with this again..?

:laugh:

Oh yes...and asking a lot of 'why' questions was something I've been accused for on more than one occasion. My great-aunt once told me that she'd always figured I'd pursue a Law career because of my 'need to know everything' attitude. :blush:

felt up

MBTI Type
INFJ
This has been a lifelong burden for me, but I wouldn't call it "looking too much into things" or "thinking too much" (oft-repeated from SP/SJs to me.)

Understanding life on a level most people are not privy to is very isolating. There are conversations I just cannot have. I have to wait for other people to "discover" on their own what I've known all along. Sometimes, when I am too quiet, it's because I know from past experiences that anything I say is so over what others can conceive of NOW. When I've been vocal, I've been called "the devil". Why bother?

In my teens and 20s I was prone to frustration because I couldn't understand why other people weren't smart enough to understand what I could see so clearly. In order for me to "be" in the world, I would need to "forget" 70% of the information I knew just so I could attempt to flow naturally with others. Problem is, it never worked me. For the most part, I have had to live in a world of my own making, occasionally dealing with others. All these years later this knowingness is still very isolating.

Evi

MBTI Type
INFJ
This has been a lifelong burden for me, but I wouldn't call it "looking too much into things" or "thinking too much" (oft-repeated from SP/SJs to me.)
In my teens and 20s I was prone to frustration because I couldn't understand why other people weren't smart enough to understand what I could see so clearly. In order for me to "be" in the world, I would need to "forget" 70% of the information I knew just so I could attempt to flow naturally with others. Problem is, it never worked me. For the most part, I have had to live in a world of my own making, occasionally dealing with others. All these years later this knowingness is still very isolating.

Dang, I was hoping that frustration would end sometime. Bother.
I over think nearly everything in my life. I find it interesting and helpful to know possible scenarios and situations. I'm prepared for those possibilities then. And the more off the wall scenarios have the added benefit of being amusing.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My parents often tell me I overanalyze waay too much. I guess it started when I first learned how to ask, "Why?" Why this. Why that.

My mother even told me I asked too many questions for a kid. I still remember.. her frustrations.. poor mommy.

Me too. Shame the interwebs didn't exist when I was a kid. My mother's standard answer was "Go to the library and Look it up!" or "Don't ask me." (or "Go to your room, I can't stand any more questions!")

A classic example of me looking too much into things, was a questionnaire for work proficiency I had to fill out one time...two weeks and fifteen pages later (it was a four page questionnaire), I handed it in, to the surprise of my trainer. She intially thought I had flaked. She told me no-one else in the entire history of the company had filled out that questionaire as comprehensively as I did.
She was expecting a sentence or two for each question. Yeah, I'm a geek.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Haha, I out-overanalyze my INFJ mother. I'm pretty good at catching when I'm doing it though, and that makes all the difference. Redemption!

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't even measure how much I read in, change, magnify, or elaborate on things anymore. I've gotten too crazy and don't even care to explain to others how I came to those conclusions. At the very least it makes for interesting conversations, and when you're right it makes you look sort of prophetic.

+1. I tend to analyze everything, constantly, down to my own meta-thought patterns. How I perceive others, how they see me, what I think about them, what they think about me. I also tend to daydream and ruminate a lot. (Goin' round in circles...) Ever since I learned to observe my environment in a V.I type of way, I find that I can discover conscious external tags for personality traits, and it's interesting to understand that type of thing. But I don't try to explain it to other people much, as that'd be confusing for them xD. I also like to link disparate things in analogical format.