User Tag List

First 192728293031 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Who cares? You over-analyze this stuff too much... Boobs is boobs. Flaunt 'em if you will. Insecurity, outside influence, blah blah blah.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Ok, I see what you mean about exhibitionary behavior, but could you explain why you feel it's disgraceful? You arrived at that conclusion yourself or is it part of how you were raised?
    Well, I think I arrived at it myself.

I mean, I guess I think it's disgraceful because it implies giving in to the moment. Sacrificing long-term respect/dignity for the short-term attention. Which is probably why it doesn't bother me when Es and Ps do it... they already naturally tend in that direction, and that's what they're designed to do.

But when an IJ does it... well, it means they're doing something they're probably going to regret later, because it will give them a kind of image that will be hard both to live up to, and to overcome. It isn't just cleavage, but any form of exhibitionary behavior, including acting out, lacking subtlety, etc. You got exactly what I was talking about. I guess I associate cleavage with those things... showing off, being crass, seeking attention, etc. And if you create an image like that of yourself, people don't look at you the same way anymore... their expectations change, usually not for the better.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Werd, beat. You're going to look this way for only a little while in your life. Why not?
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Good question.

I'm not entirely sure, but for some reason I only consider it a disgrace for certain kinds of people. I mean, not the loud, extraverted ones, certainly... or the silly, immodest Ps.
    LOL.

What about when the typically modest P's decide to do it?

I only find it disgraceful when IJs do it... mostly because it's the kind of thing they're usually not inclined to do, and it implies that they've been influenced by someone else to do something they don't want to due to low self-esteem.
    That's reading a lot into someone's motivations that might not necessarily be true. I'm not even sure if even half of the poor IJs are doing it because they're letting someone influence their behavior.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Well, I think I arrived at it myself.

I mean, I guess I think it's disgraceful because it implies giving in to the moment. Sacrificing long-term respect/dignity for the short-term attention. Which is probably why it doesn't bother me when Es and Ps do it... they already naturally tend in that direction, and that's what they're designed to do.

But when an IJ does it... well, it means they're doing something they're probably going to regret later, because it will give them a kind of image that will be hard both to live up to, and to overcome. It isn't just cleavage, but any form of exhibitionary behavior, including acting out, lacking subtlety, etc. You got exactly what I was talking about. I guess I associate cleavage with those things... showing off, being crass, seeking attention, etc. And if you create an image like that of yourself, people don't look at you the same way anymore... their expectations change, usually not for the better.
    Thank you for explaining your position. And actually, I do understand what you mean.

I guess I'm just curious as to when display behavior became a "no-no" in social terms? *ponders*
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Werd, beat. You're going to look this way for only a little while in your life. Why not?
    But that's exactly the point... later on, after you don't look as good, people will remember you like that, and think of you as that kind of person. It's a very short-term mentality, a very short-lived kind of beauty that sends you down a path that leads to a dead end very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    LOL. What about when the typically modest P's decide to do it?
    I'd still have no problem... you can just TELL with Ps. They're too open/flexible/changing and can't elicit the same kind of respect, no matter what they do. So they might as well act that way. Conversely, an EJ has a strong enough personality to get away with whatever boldness they want and still make a comeback.

Thank you for explaining your position. And actually, I do understand what you mean.

I guess I'm just curious as to when display behavior became a "no-no" in social terms? *ponders*
    Well, it isn't a no-no in all social arenas. There are some where it's expected. But among the more sophisticated/reserved ones that IJs tend to be attracted to, it is a no-no. That's why it's so destructive, because it results in greater acceptance by people an IJ wouldn't necessarily value long-term, and lesser acceptance by the sort of people they would.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Am I grateful that Val Kilmer made a total display of himself while he was ridiculously god-like? Yes.

Am I repelled by Bette Page? By Dita Von Teese? No. They had/have very pretty bodies.

The "ruin" is when it becomes a judgment. Not saying I condone rampant nudity, just having a reaction to the societal "cover up" order.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Am I grateful that Val Kilmer made a total display of himself while he was ridiculously god-like? Yes.

Am I repelled by Bette Page? By Dita Von Teese? No. They had/have very pretty bodies.

The "ruin" is when it becomes a judgment. Not saying I condone rampant nudity, just having a reaction to the societal "cover up" order.
    I must admit, a large part of my reasoning is because of the fact that a lot of other people judge it that way. I'm basing my opinion of it on what other people think it might represent (sexuality, showing off, boldness, seeking attention, etc), and I was barely even aware of that, because the symbol tends to replace the object in my mind.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd still have no problem... you can just TELL with Ps. They're too open/flexible/changing and can't elicit the same kind of respect, no matter what they do. So they might as well act that way.
    Wow. I guess we shouldn't expect anything of P's, there's no way they could aspire to be respectable like J's? As for me, I think I'm gonna vamp it up tonight; it's Saturday, it's time to P out!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

***still wondering the big deal is***

Don't mind me, I'm relatively grumpy, so I'm being direct rather than diplomatic....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.