• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EJCC's Musical Advent Calendar

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 5.

(and now I'm officially caught up.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm realizing I should be giving a little background on these.

Day 1 is by Punch Brothers, one of my favorite bands - singing one of my favorite Advent hymns. Something I love about their arrangement is that it never quite resolves in the way you expect, which is the whole point of the song in the first place. They're waiting. The resolution comes at Christmas.

Day 2 is another favorite text - one that I sang in my choir recently! - but one of the singers is someone I know personally, which is pretty cool.

Day 3 is a song I've never been enthusiastic about, sung by the man who played Aaron Burr in "Hamilton" on Broadway - subdued and jazzy and mellow. But the reason why I love it is that the text really comes alive with Leslie Odom Jr.'s talent - it is just beautifully nuanced, and melancholy and complex in ways I was not expecting.

Day 4 is flat-out one of the best songs ever written. Fight me.

Day 5 is a great song from a great album that has comforted me since I was in my early teens. It's only Christmasy in the sense that "Sleigh Ride" or "Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!" are Christmasy - namely, about winter, therefore seasonal.

Now here's day 6.

I grew up with this album, and this song was always my favorite. I listened to it even before I knew I liked bluegrass. Now it's one of the most nostalgic songs I can think of.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 7 is a celtic punk/rock double feature. First one is one of my all-time favorite songs. Second one is just a rollicking good time.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 8.

One of my fave bands. One of my fave villain songs. What's not to love?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 9, belatedly. Because y’all knew I had to put some Sufjan in here.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 10.

Saw this movie for the first time ever, just last week. I liked it okay - not as good as Muppet Christmas Carol - but this scene was pure gold. Feels like two old pros just jamming and loving every second of it.

(This musical calendar has a lot more piano than I was anticipating.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Y'all, I cannot describe how NOT in the holiday spirit I've been recently. On a scale of Tim Allen at the beginning of The Santa Clause to Tim Allen at the end of The Santa Clause, I'm at Tim Allen in the scene where he's at The North Pole yelling at the elves. Hence my neglect of this thread.

So... let's play some catch-up, shall we?

--------------------

Day 11, somewhat of a guilty pleasure. It's a Coldplay cover, but I'm not a fan of the mood or instrumentation of the Coldplay arrangement, although I love love LOVE the lyrics - and Yellowcard, usually not my fave band, channels Jimmy Eat World so well that I can't help but feel nostalgic for when that genre was all over the radio in the early oughts, making preteens feel melancholy nostalgia at an unreasonably young age.

--------------------

Day 12 was one I discovered when I was doing research for this playlist. I only knew Squeeze from the song "Cool for Cats" - which I love - and everything about this song, their only Christmas track ever, is delightful. So weird and so great. Everything I love about a certain subset of 80s new wave, condensed and made Christmasy.

--------------------

Day 13. I actually hate "Little Drummer Boy" but this lively and danceable arrangement makes me love it(!) - which I never thought I'd say. Apparently, per Anthony Hamilton, it's inspired by Outkast!

--------------------

Day 14. Surprisingly straightforward cover of "Linus and Lucy" that, because of the instrumentation and because Bela Fleck and the Flecktones are gods among men, still feels fresh and new and brings a smile to my face.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 15. Confession, I learned about this through Jason Isbell's Twitter. No regrets.

--------------------

Day 16. More Leslie Odom Jr, because this song is my favorite in the whole wide world (originally Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson - equally good but a bit of a different vibe). It's where my current user title comes from.

--------------------

BONUS TRACK as a reward for your patience: a cappella cover of a deep cut from Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak".

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Day 17.

Spent most of the day yesterday laid over at SeaTac, keeping myself from blowing my budget at the Sub Pop store, so here’s some melancholy Christmas grunge.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ugh. Playing catch-up again.

---------------------

Day 18.

I've seen this folk duo live, twice. They distribute books of their lyrics before every show, and tell you what page to turn to if you want to follow along. They are precious, lovely people.

---------------------

Day 19.

My ENFP 2w3 friend introduced me to this. Gives me chills every time.

---------------------

Day 20.

One of my favorite bands, since I was a teenager. And one of my favorite modern carols - just the right combination of hope and bitterness. Plus some Bach!

---------------------

Day 20 BONUS.

Can we have more Christmas rock songs like this please? Most of them suck but this is great - up there with "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)" by The Ramones.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Catch-up cont'd.

---------------------

Day 21.

RENAISSANCE CHRISTMAS MUSIC FOR THE FUCKING WIN.

---------------------

Day 22.

Please look up the Anonymous 4 recording of this arrangement, from the album "Wolcum Yule" - it's infinitely better but it's not on YouTube.

---------------------

Day 23.

Perhaps my all-time favorite hymn. Good for Christmas, Advent, and all occasions.

---------------------

Day 24.

Godmother of rock 'n roll. Disappointed that she didn't record a Christmas song with a guitar solo, but this is still great.

---------------------

Day 24 BONUS.

I don't know why this isn't more of a classic, but it should be. Much love to The Band. (Did you know that one of the original band members used to be an Anglican church organist?)