User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Today I became a citizen

In regards to the whole process of becoming an American citizen, I feel rather ambivalent. I'm not sure if what I did was a sound decision. The ceremony itself felt rather emotionally manipulating to me and contrived at parts, especially when the news camera crews would film individuals who would state their name, place of birth, how many years they've lived in the United States, how long has it took for them to complete this process and what they feel at the moment. Some of the answers from some individuals certainly felt genuine to me, whereas others were contrived in the sense that anyone speaking in a similarly charged (large 351) group and especially if there's a chance to be on television, would put on some theatrical dribble. I didn't swear to renounce my citizenship to Canada nor say what was required of me in the oath. I only believe in the following things in America: its Micro Breweries, its terrain and its literature- especially American Transcendentalism/Gothic fiction (Romanticism). That's it.
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

America is a proud and worthy country. I'm not a blind patriot, but there's so many wonderful things within our borders, wonderful people and the good heart of democracy which beats inside the population. You take America like you take ANY country, person or contract - warts and all. Don't demean the struggle that got us where we are now. So what if the ceremony "felt" weird to you.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISTJ

I want to be a citizen of this country...I love it here.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I didn't swear to renounce my citizenship to Canada nor say what was required of me in the oath. I only believe in the following things in America: its Micro Breweries, its terrain and its literature- especially American Transcendentalism/Gothic fiction (Romanticism). That's it.
    You still have to swear allegiance to Pat Robertson and the 700 club.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Congratulations.

That was a significant milestone for me as well, 10 years ago.

Is it too late for you to register to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I didn't swear to renounce my citizenship to Canada...
    That's funny. I crossed my fingers behind my back during this part of the interview. I remember calling the Canadian Consulate to ask about this when I was preparing for the exam. She said that I will always be considered Canadian because I was born there, regardless of what the US requires me to vow to them. I remember she chuckled sardonically when I asked about it. They must be asked that question alot.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    America is a proud and worthy country. I'm not a blind patriot, but there's so many wonderful things within our borders, wonderful people and the good heart of democracy which beats inside the population. You take America like you take ANY country, person or contract - warts and all. Don't demean the struggle that got us where we are now. So what if the ceremony "felt" weird to you.
    I agree with you that wonderful natural things within our borders exist and good people lie within its reach as well but I fundamentally do not believe in democracy. Idealistically Democracy sounds wonderful but realistically it's inherently flawed; I have never found the retort "Ok, but it's the best option" to have any weight. Allow me to provide you with some more context:

I've lived in the United states for about sixteen years of my life; I've practically grown up here. Being a foreigner in the United States has provided me with a unique perspective of examining the political structures of both Canada/United States, but more so other forms of government-when one has a green card, one can not vote. I sometimes feel as if I am 'a man without a country'. That's why I cherish ideals so greatly. I relish creating values in a Nietzsche sense; I relish the Wild West; I relish Anti-humanism / Romanticism, and so forth. They can escape the mortal coil yet exist something more transcendent than the self.

Different cultures fascinate me: their musical traditions, their artistic endeavors, their language & customs and so forth. Difference being the key word there. If you relate cultures to the soul, than (modern) America and Canada are soulless entities. Certainly a wide range of cultures exist within, but it seems as if everyone can't truly become connected to their soul: for one's vision may interfer with another and so on and thus a 'happy medium' is proposed. Be Icarus rather than Daedalus. The apex of America's soul existed during the formation of the nation, but as Melville astutely noted in Benito Cereno, America's Naivety regarding the fall of the Spanish empire depicts an almost universal truth: All empires crumble. And that's why the ceremony felt weird to me.

And in regards to your comment about 'struggle that got us here', I certainly hope you're including France as a major player.

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    You still have to swear allegiance to Pat Robertson and the 700 club.
    We're so close on our pledge drive for my boat payments, hallelujah!
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

MBTI
    ISTx

Someone I work with went today to do their test/interview. He passed but still has to swear in. He's from Sudan and working in the U.S. Marine Corps. Good dude.

MBTI
    ISTx

Pat Robertson isn't such a bad guy... I'm not an advocate of the whole radical evangelism thing, or really any religion for that matter. My dad knows Pat though and the dude just has a bad rap. He irritates a lot of people that don't share the same mindset and principles, but he means well.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I want to be a citizen of this country...I love it here.
    We'll celebrate the day you do then!

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Someone I work with went today to do their test/interview. He passed but still has to swear in. He's from Sudan and working in the U.S. Marine Corps. Good dude.
    Just wanted to say that I'm proud of him then! Most Americans don't even know the answers to those tests they give..

Anyways, Congrats on your citizenship. It's an annoying process I've heard, but nevertheless even if thats ALL you like about America, you're here and you went through with the citizenship, so I guess putting up with the bad of America is totally worth whatever drove you for citizenship. You don't have to like America to be an American, nor do you have to agree with everything. Canada can be in your heart, just as American people living anywhere else have America in their hearts. Good job, and congrats again on it all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Just wanted to say that I'm proud of him then! Most Americans don't even know the answers to those tests they give..
    He's pretty damn intelligent. Not the best at communicating in English but he's a smart dude. He has a degree in Marine Biology I believe (or some sort of science).