123 Last

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Default Furniture: Now - Sectional Vs Sofa + Loveseat

I'm currently in the process of furnishing the living room to my apartment, and have hit a roadblock of sorts. (Actually, I've hit many, the INFP side of me kinda enjoys this while the male side of me is OVER IT already!) I am currenlty on the first step, which is to get a sofa/loveseat OR sectional couch. My question:

Do I go for leather or fabric furniture? What is everyone's opinion of the two? Which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks for your opinions!

MBTI
    INTJ

I have a leather couch and I really like it.

Leather lasts longer. It is more resistant to tears. It is a little easier to clean up spills because they don't soak into the fabric. It is less likely to take on that dingy look old fabric gets. It has a nice feel to it.

However if it is warm and you are wearing shorts or a short skirt your legs will stick to it. I have solved this by draping two large (hi quality fake) fur throws over it. The leather and fur look really good together.

Also concider the overall look of the room, style, color, mood, formal v. casual, any "themes" in the room, etc. Don't just think about what looks good, think about what looks good with your room.

Ilah

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Leather is better in every way I can think of at the moment. Suede, though, has disadvantages.

MBTI
    INXP

Contemplate the pet factor. Do you own pets (eg cats) that think leather is great for sharpening claws?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Contemplate the pet factor. Do you own pets (eg cats) that think leather is great for sharpening claws?
    I haven't seen a cat who didn't like to sharpen on fabric sofas as well, so that leads to questions of noticeability of scratches and cost of replacement.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Leather is much easier to clean but fabric is more comfortable. I like the pottery barn sofas because you can remove the covers and wash them but they are ridiculously priced. I bought our red leather sofas from an Ashley distributor for under $2000 and figured if they lasted 5 years that would be fine.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I'll check Pottery Barn out, but yes, they are insanely priced.

Right now the room is barren. I have bedroom stuff, and a table for the dining room, but only a TV and TV stand for the living room. I will likely get the sofa, and then find stuff to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    However if it is warm and you are wearing shorts or a short skirt your legs will stick to it. I have solved this by draping two large (hi quality fake) fur throws over it. The leather and fur look really good together.
    Ilah, your solution is intriguing, but I can't seem to picture how that would look. Do you have pictures, or know a good site to check out pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Leather is better in every way I can think of at the moment. Suede, though, has disadvantages.
    Not a fan of suede. I think I'd prefer microfiber over it, though that comes with it's own can of worms... especially the lighter colors I seem more drawn to.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    No pets, no kids.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Checking it out now.

I don't get this style, though:
    Lynley Motion Sofa :: Rooms To Go - Sofas

I mean, it seems to be the worst of both worlds. Leather and microfiber? Really?

MBTI
    INTP

I do like leather, but when it's hot, you get hotter as you sit on it. That's the only drawback I've found.