User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Infx

- They think I lack confidence, when really I have enough to feel I don't have to prove myself and can sit back and let others have the limelight.

- They think I'm naive and believe that bad things won't happen, but really I've just experienced enough loss to know I'll be fine when it does.

- They think I don't understand that I've made a mistake because I don't get upset, but really I just have quick coping skills and have already figured out where I went wrong and what I can do to change it and forgiven myself, so there's no reason to be upset.

- Similarly, they think I don't understand what's going on in a stressful/scary situation when I stay calm, when really I've just processed the situation and can't find anything to actually be worried about, and know that even if there is, loosing my head won't help. (Ex, While I was driving one time, my car spun out. The passengers started freaking, afraid of getting in an accident, but I could see that there were no cars in front of, behind, or on the other side of the road in danger of collision and I'd be able to regain control of the car before we ran out of roadspace. We'd be fine. I'm sure my complete lack of fear or being phased made it look like I didn't care, or didn't realize how dangerous the situation was.)

So, yeah, in short.. people misunderstand me by thinking I don't process situations, when really I've processed them so quick, I'm over it already. (most of the time.) INFJ people!!! That means ESTP in a stressful situation! BAM. Taken care of.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

I wish I could say that most people get me, but they don't really. There are people that you just kind of click with, but over time even those take work sometimes. I'm pretty open to others. If I think someone is capable of seeing me for who I am, then I will give them the opportunity. But I have been hurt many times over the years by letting people in, only to discover their interest in befriending me was based on assumptions of my personality that just aren't there.

An example of people not getting it...

I grew up in the south. I was always a bit brighter than most of the people around me...valedictorian in high school, college scholarship, great job. One of the things that was unenjoyable was that a lot of people around me would criticize me because they thought I was uppity. The reason being, I was often told, was that people believed I thought I was better than them because I was smart...arrogant, I am not... I just carry myself pretty confidently and express myself with vocabulary that is normal to me after a college education....(i.e. I've never been one to dumb myself down).

SO, I moved myself up north with the change of a job and guess what? People tell me that they didn't like me at first because they thought I was stupid. Apparently, my southern accent gave me an air of sounding ignorant to some people... A couple of people didn't like me at first too because they assumed I was just some stupid redneck and was racist! It was shocking when I found that someone believed me to be racist just because of a southern accent!!!

It's all pretty silly, really, but some people just don't get it. They think they know but have no idea in reality. I'm never really going to fit in with everybody. I've come to terms with that. But I don't need everybody to understand me in order to validate myself anyway.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In person, probably just because I'm an introvert, so I'm not all up in your grill all the time. It probly takes a little more effort to get to know me.

On the internet, if somebody doesn't get me, then they're just not trying very hard, because I'm completely open and I'll tell ya anything you want to know about me. I have no hidden agendas or cards up my sleeve, I put it all out on the table, do with it what you will.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INXP

I'm not worth getting.

Most people don't get that, either.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Errr... Hard to know where to begin.

The fact that I don't take any drugs (legal included) actually seems to confuse a lot of people. And the only way they can seem to understand it is if they assert that I'm religious, while I happen to be totally agnostic.

People don't understand why I talk out of the blue about complicated theories or hypothesis. They also don't understand how I can stop and then resume a discussion over the span of several hours or even days. I apparently don't have "normal" conversations.

People don't get how much I love space over physical possessions. They think I never take enough. They don't understand why I'm enraged by having things put in my room.

Hmmm... That's just a start.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think I am pretty strange. Also, people tend to fear/envy the gifted.

I use to say that a lot in my adolesence, but now I usually don't dare call myself gifted, or assert that I'm an unusually good person.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post

I use to say that a lot in my adolesence, but now I usually don't dare call myself gifted, or assert that I'm an unusually good person.
    Not to be snippy, but the way you wrote that actually sounds like you're asserting superiority, since you wouldn't "dare" to do something that I would, and that it's something you grew out of from your "adolescence." What is wrong with acknowledging being gifted, or feeling that you are a good person?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm not well understood, but it doesn't matter to me most of the time.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Not to be snippy, but the way you wrote that actually sounds like you're asserting superiority, since you wouldn't "dare" to do something that I would, and that it's something you grew out of from your "adolescence." What is wrong with acknowledging being gifted, or feeling that you are a good person?
    Well, I think I said "unusually good person". The things that I thought made me oh-so special don't seem nearly as impressive to me now. I realized that I was, probably by no coincidence, arbitrarily assigning more value to what abilities I had, and too little value to what abilities other people had. You know, that tendency to rule out anything you can't do as not being important anyway. As I started to acknolwedge the importance of everything, I realized just how many useful things I couldn't do. I realized how many of these things other people could do, in some cases, the great majority of people. And if were so special, why am I still single? There are few things more annoying than a man attributing his lonliness to unappreciated gifts. Instead, I'm probably single because a lot of things suck about me.

So, it occured to me that for whatever I was good at, I was also awfully bad at a lot of things, too. And if I do my addition and subtraction, I think that my total value doesn't seem to be any better than some other schmoe. Every time I want to bang my head agaisnt the wall because someone said something really stupid (happens a lot during political season) it usually doesn't take long before I remind myself of what stupid short-comings I have, and thenI don't feel so high and mighty anymore.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, I think I said "unusually good person". The things that I thought made me oh-so special don't seem nearly as impressive to me now. I realized that I was, probably by no coincidence, arbitrarily assigning more value to what abilities I had, and too little value to what abilities other people had. You know, that tendency to rule out anything you can't do as not being important anyway. As I started to acknolwedge the importance of everything, I realized just how many useful things I couldn't do. I realized how many of these things other people could do, in some cases, the great majority of people. And if were so special, why am I still single? There are few things more annoying than a man attributing his lonliness to unappreciated gifts. Instead, I'm probably single because a lot of things suck about me.

So, it occured to me that for whatever I was good at, I was also awfully bad at a lot of things, too. And if I do my addition and subtraction, I think that my total value doesn't seem to be any better than some other schmoe. Every time I want to bang my head agaisnt the wall because someone said something really stupid (happens a lot during political season) it usually doesn't take long before I remind myself of what stupid short-comings I have, and thenI don't feel so high and mighty anymore.

I don't take that attitude. I'm single now, and I've only had one gf the last year-and-a-half. It's not because I suck, and I doubt you do, either. I've had a lot of problems with relationships. Some of them are because I can be tough to be with, but most are not. I keep on trying, though. I've also noticed that being majorly out-of-step with the majority of people (even if it's in what you or I would consider to be a positive way) can put you at a disadvantage. I've dated a girl who couldn't stand that I was as intelligent as I am and that I wanted to talk about politics and religion and economics. She felt threatened, and it made me angry. What am I supposed to do: not saying anything for fear of damaging another person's ego? That would be untrue to myself.

There are lots of useful things I cannot do. I think that is usually value-neutral. If things you cannot do are things that are necessary for life in an industrialized world circa-2008, then you might be dysfunctional. My roommate, for instance, once put an aluminum can in the microwave. If I hadn't been there, it could have been a big problem. He was a general idiot, though. I don't look down upon, say, construction workers because I have the ability and desire to work as an executive in a creative field. The world wants and needs both buildings and entertainment. I will look down upon people for being willfully ignorant or for wildly illogical attitudes and behavior, though. You don't have to be perfect yourself to be able to say, "That is stupid."

I also think I am a better person than the median person walking around. Not "unusually" better, because I am more "nice" than "good," but I have more concern for my fellow person, I think more about mankind's destiny, I don't screw over my friends, I'm honest and open in relationships, etc. I try very hard in life to do the right thing. I know what my negative qualities are, though, and I am the first to admit them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Because I don't want to be gotten.
    The fun is in the chase...

MASTER OF APATHY AND PURPLE SIGNATURES