User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Sounds rather biased politically, I think. Most places that are not good to live in lose population. Aren't both Houston and the state of Texas growing fairly rapidly?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Yes, we have the 2nd largest population of the 50 states. We also have three major cities that are on the list of the 10 largest in the country: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. This doesn't even count other large cities in the state including Austin, Corpus Christi, Amarillo and technically Dallas gets kind of ripped off there because it almost has 3 major metropolitan areas: Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington. We're also the 2nd largest state in terms of landmass (second to Alaska which is acceptable). If you are in Texarkana, you're closer to Chicago than you are El Paso. In El Paso, you're closer to the Pacific Ocean than you are the Texas/Louisiana border.

As for Houston's growth, that's largely due to our energy business. We're still building houses here in a very quick manner. We also have our own power grid, as far as the 5 major grids go. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't have two. It is also cheaper to live here than in most other states or major cities (I'm looking at you, California). The state also has two major baseball teams, two major (American) football teams, three major basketball teams and (I believe) two hockey teams. As BMS mentioned before, we're also the only state that can hang its flag as high as the American flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    That makes no logical sense. So much history in VA from the civil war. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by disTant_eCHo View Post
    ... I can't think of a single reason to visit Virginia unless I wanted a history lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes, we have the 2nd largest population of the 50 states. We also have three major cities that are on the list of the 10 largest in the country: Houston, Dallas and San Antonio. This doesn't even count other large cities in the state including Austin, Corpus Christi, Amarillo and technically Dallas gets kind of ripped off there because it almost has 3 major metropolitan areas: Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington. We're also the 2nd largest state in terms of landmass (second to Alaska which is acceptable). If you are in Texarkana, you're closer to Chicago than you are El Paso. In El Paso, you're closer to the Pacific Ocean than you are the Texas/Louisiana border.

As for Houston's growth, that's largely due to our energy business. We're still building houses here in a very quick manner. We also have our own power grid, as far as the 5 major grids go. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't have two. It is also cheaper to live here than in most other states or major cities (I'm looking at you, California). The state also has two major baseball teams, two major (American) football teams, three major basketball teams and (I believe) two hockey teams. As BMS mentioned before, we're also the only state that can hang its flag as high as the American flag.
    Texas only has the Dallas Stars for the NHL. Houston (along with Las Vegas, Kansas City, Winnipeg, and Hamilton) is often considered for a team, should the NHL expand further or a team relocate. The Pittsburgh Penguins were very nearly moved to KC or Hamilton, ON, and I hear that the Nashville Predators might move in the next five years or so. Houston is a distinct possibility.

Yeah, that's why I said I think. I remember going to two Aeroes games when I was younger but I didn't think they were considered NHL.

Other large Texas cities I forgot to mention:

• Beaumont (don't know how I forgot that one)
    • Lubbock
    • Wichita Falls
    • Texarkana
    • Waco
    • Galveston
    • Some people consider Odessa and Midland
    • El Paso

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    ... so many of the people who live there are so damn zealous about the place. I can't help but wonder what caused all the ethnocentrism in the first place.
    There's a great quote that I would like to offer for this rebuttal: "Only death will end my love affair with Texas." - Bob Bullock, Former Lieutenant Governor

MBTI
    INTJ

Ok think I will add my final comment

I am an American.

I am proud to call myself an American.

I call myself an American.

I am from America.

I love everyone from all over my great home, America.

I love the beauty that can be seen all across this great land known as America. No other place I have seen has as much diversity. If you have not seen many different stretches of America, I feel you are missing out in many ways.

And all in all, we Americans are proud citizens of the world.

Ok now hold hands and sing with me, k? Or I will just unleash my army of one-eyed robots to crush all of you into submission!

You misconstrue the point of my posts. I have not been posting to say that Texas is greater than the United States; I have been defending its honor when its legitimacy and purpose have been questioned.

One of the biggest sources of Texas pride is this: we have a traditionalistic individualistic political culture in the Texas government. We are capable of living on our own resources and in fact have. There's another great quote that I can't remember word-for-word or who said it, but it went something along the lines of "Texas does not need the United States to function; but the United States cannot function without Texas!" Sure our lives are much easier with resources from the US government and the other 49 states but when it comes down to it, they're not necessary. As another person said before, we are the only state that has the right to secede from the union. We have a very rich and vibrant history, geography and a very dynamic culture.

MBTI
    INTJ

We technically do have a hockey team but they're IHL and not NHL.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

we are the only state that has the right to secede from the union.
    LOL, maybe you need that trip to VA for a history lesson more than you think!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    We technically do have a hockey team but they're IHL and not NHL.
    Hence the "for the NHL" in my post. Philadelphia has an NHL and AHL team across the street from one another. The Houston Aeros are also in the AHL as of 2001. The old IHL no longer exists; there is a new one that is Midwest-based, but it has no relation (used to be the United Hockey League). It's very confusing. To make matters worse, the old WHA team was also called the Houston Aeros! They had Gordie Howe and his sons Mark and Marty. Mark went on to have a great career as a Philadelphia Flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    LOL, maybe you need that trip to VA for a history lesson more than you think!
    I'm listening ..