• soda

32 62.75%
  • soda pop

0 0%
  • other

4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 7891011 Last

Other Southerner needs to keep a better selection on hand if he is expecting company.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Other Southerner isn't everybody's mother okay!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's not like that, really. It's more like this:

SOUTHERNER: While you're up can you get me a coke?

OTHER SOUTHERNER: All right, what kind? We have Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew.

SOUTHERNER: I'll take a Dr. Pepper.
    Oh, no. I get that completely. It's confusing to an outsider, but I see how it works there. Personally, I don't like when a brand name substitutes for what the non-branded name of the product is, like Kleenex for tissues. Also, the confusion factor matters to me al little; I would know what a Midwesterner who asked for "pop" was talking about right away, in contrast, even though that is non-native slang for me. However, I have seen enough in my day to be fairly certain that there really are ignorant people who don't realize that Coke and Pepsi are two completely different companies, not just two different beverages. Likewise, Hollywood and Blockbuster are different movie rental places, but a person who never thought about it (and who started renting movies when Blockbuster was dominant) would walk into the "movie store" and just try to rent there.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    No, you'd just say Coke or Diet Coke. When you're ordering, the waitress knows you're ordering specifically. You wouldn't say, "I'd like a Coke, but I'd like Dr. Pepper, please." It's mainly when you're referring to things in a general way. I know it sounds confusing in principle, but in practice, it's really not.
    It's like big C Catholic (actual Roman Catholics) and small c catholic (just means "universal church"). Big C Coke means Coca-Cola. Small c coke means any fizzy drink. You only use the latter if you are speaking generally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Oh, no. I get that completely. It's confusing to an outsider, but I see how it works there. Personally, I don't like when a brand name substitutes for what the non-branded name of the product is, like Kleenex for tissues. Also, the confusion factor matters to me al little; I would know what a Midwesterner who asked for "pop" was talking about right away, in contrast, even though that is non-native slang for me. However, I have seen enough in my day to be fairly certain that there really are ignorant people who don't realize that Coke and Pepsi are two completely different companies, not just two different beverages. Likewise, Hollywood and Blockbuster are different movie rental places, but a person who never thought about it (and who started renting movies when Blockbuster was dominant) would walk into the "movie store" and just try to rent there.
    I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't know Coke and Pepsi are different companies. It may just be that they don't care, and they just want their drink.

Incidentally, my mother tells of some redneck neighbors of hers who put "Peyupseh" into the baby's bottle on a regular basis.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Other Southerner needs to keep a better selection on hand if he is expecting company.
    LOL! Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's like big C Catholic (actual Roman Catholics) and small c catholic (just means "universal church"). Big C Coke means Coca-Cola. Small c coke means any fizzy drink. You only use the latter if you are speaking generally.
    Good explanation!

I don't know, that's just one of those things I always found charming, but I dig regionalisms. Some, I like more than others, obviously, b/c I'm not crazy about the word "pop," but I just like that our language isn't all the same everywhere you go, even if it's momentarily confusing. It's like whether you call a shopping cart a cart or a buggy or a basket.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I generally use "Let's get some Cokes," or "A Soft Drink sure sounds good right about now." You know, for kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It's like whether you call a shopping cart a cart or a buggy or a basket.
    My old roommate was from New York and she called it a wagon, which always made me bust out laughing. All I could picture was dragging groceries around in a Radio Flyer.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

*rolls a grenade under the door of this thread*

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    My old roommate was from New York and she called it a wagon, which always made me bust out laughing. All I could picture was dragging groceries around in a Radio Flyer.
    Lol. I was thinking of a horse-drawn carriage.