• soda pop

0 0%
  • other

4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP

As more people on the coasts move to the Midlands seeking the friendly safety of unwashed hog farmers here in the Midwest (And bringing the problems they are trying to escape with them, I may add. Heh.) I have begun saying "soda" more often than "pop" so that our newcomers may understand our quaint speech.

When I was growing up a soda was flavored syrup with CO2 in it and a couple of scoops of ice cream added. This dates back to the soda fountains of old.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'd be interested to see what Coca-Cola's market share is in the South, since it is an Atlanta-based company. I know that its market share (counting all products) for the U.S. as a whole is about 44-45%, and Pepsi's is about 30%. That sounds low for its brand to be the general term for colas. Perhaps it is (or once was) appreciably higher than that in the South, which would make it understandable that it would be more of a shorthand there.
    I have lived in ATL for a considerable part of my life, and let's put it this way...there are literally only 3 places where I know I can find Pepsi products: the grocery store/gas stations, Taco Bell, and 1 branch of movie theaters (I think it's Regal Cinemas). No joking, everything here is Coke because unless you're in one of the 3 places listed above you really have no other choice.

With that said, I am originally from the north, and I don't really understand the concept of calling all soda "coke," because it my mind, "coke" is Coca-Cola. However, when people ask me what drinks we have at my restaurant I say "coke products" because everyone knows that means we have Sprite, Mr. Pibb, Hi-C, Powerade, and Coke/Diet Coke. Coke and its associated products are just a given down here.

Personally, I call carbonated beverages "sodas," but I have never called them "pop."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

A couple is seated at a diner.

Waitress: What would you like to drink?
    Husband: What kind of cokes do you have?
    Waitress: We have Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper and Mellow Yellow.
    Husband: Gimme a Sprite.
    Wife: I'll have a Coke.
    Waitress: Ok, I'll get those cokes right out to you.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    I have lived in ATL for a considerable part of my life, and let's put it this way...there are literally only 3 places where I know I can find Pepsi products: the grocery store/gas stations, Taco Bell, and 1 branch of movie theaters (I think it's Regal Cinemas). No joking, everything here is Coke because unless you're in one of the 3 places listed above you really have no other choice.
    Vending machines at the georgia dome actually had it, I was shocked. (I was there for a robotics competition in may).

Anyway, I call it soda, and I prefer Pepsi/Sprite.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

its coke. its all coke. coke coke coke.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTP

I did notice when I lived in the Northeast, that Pepsi products were popular there. Lots of my friends preferred Pepsi to Coke. Here in the South, if you carry Pepsi products, you generally have to look apologetic and say sheepishly, "Pepsi okay?"

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I did notice when I lived in the Northeast, that Pepsi products were popular there. Lots of my friends preferred Pepsi to Coke. Here in the South, if you carry Pepsi products, you generally have to look apologetic and say sheepishly, "Pepsi okay?"
    It's the same here. "What would you like to drink?" "Coke", "Pepsi okay?"
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I always find this interesting. Pepsi is fairly popular here, I think, and it seemed to be in Southern California I've noticed, too. Pepsi usually wins blind taste tests (although the fairness of these tests is disputed), but they have to spend far more money on advertising, given their status as #2.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

I would like to award this thread the "Most Unexpectedly Heated" award. Congratulations to all!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You are a little more optimistic than I am, then. When I worked at Hollywood Video, I dealt with people who have come in with Blockbuster membership cards to try to rent movies. They simply did not understand that those are two different companies.
    It's not like that, really. It's more like this:

SOUTHERNER: While you're up can you get me a coke?

OTHER SOUTHERNER: All right, what kind? We have Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew.

SOUTHERNER: I'll take a Dr. Pepper.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii